“Our trip to nequay”
Review of Eliot Hotel

Eliot Hotel
Ranked #25 of 37 Hotels in Newquay
Reviewed 19 August 2014

We have just returned from our first alpha tour and must say it was good value for money the tours where very good and our driver frank knew Cornwall very well the hotel was very good and we found the staff brilliant they where all very polite and would help you with what ever you asked for the rooms where very clean and kept so for the week we where there the food was also very good especially the breakfast which was very tasty evening meal also gave a good choice evening entertainment could be better would return to to the Elliot if in nequay again

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Frederick i

Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

We went to the eliot hotel last week for a weeks holiday in Newquay. On a arrival the staff were pleasant and the room we had was a great size for me and my partner plus two kids. One is 20months the other is 6yrs old. Food was lovely and just the right amount and yhe hotel was slightly dated but clean and had entertainment on mpst nights. Overall a fab holiday thank u to all ythe staff at the eliot!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Kmw1987
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Stayed here on an Alfa coach holiday and despite the negative reviews we had read prior to our holiday we were pleasantly surprised. The rooms are clean with adequate storage, the staff are friendly and helpful especially the waiters/waitresses and the hotel is within easy walking distance of the town and lovely beaches. The entertainment isn't all that but there are plenty of good bars in town like Berties, The Towan Blystra and The Central if you want something a bit more lively.
Our only criticism really is the lack of wifi in the bedrooms.

2  Thank redsoxbrit
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We stayed as a package with Alfa and when you consider the holiday you get for your money you would find it difficult to find better value. This hotel has everything you need, it is clean, has comfortable rooms, good food, good public areas, reasonable bar prices, evening entertainment and even a swimming pool. All the staff we encountered were efficient, most were friendly, especially the waiters/waitresses.

The only reason why I have not given it 5/5 is because some of the bedrooms on the second floor e.g. 201-205 can get stiflingly hot in the summer. Too hot for sleeping because they are set into the eaves of the roof and get the full force of the sun all day. Do I hear you say "open the window to let the fresh air in" we did, but this lets in all the street noise too and being Newquay in the summer this gets quite lively and goes on late.... Please provide a room fan! Not a lot to ask. We did, eyeing up the one on the reception desk. This is the only time we got a negative response.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Phillog
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We stayed at the Eliot for 8 days as part of an organised trip with Alfa coaches. This is the second time we have stayed here having been on the same trip 2 years earlier.
The feeling of déjà vu began as soon as we stepped through the front door of the hotel into the reception area, and greeted by the same smell of fusty carpet, and stale cabbage.
Upon receiving our room key, I thought to myself that the number sounded familiar….yes indeed we were in the exact same room as we were 2 years ago! Now if anyone has ever read my review from August 2012 entitled “Nice Hotel in a good location” you would know that although in general we enjoyed our stay, we did encounter some issues with the room…namely the spare blanket in the wardrobe stank of “wet dog”, suspicious stains on the carpet and a poor quality shower.
Needless to say, I was disappointed when I walked through the door and felt that I had somehow stepped into a time warp…Yes “the stain” was still there at the side of the bed! I opened the wardrobe and low and behold, the rather attractive hairy brown blanket was there all ready to be removed from its plastic cover. Did I remove the sweaty St Bernard from its lair? Did I hell!
On the other hand, when I used the shower the next day I was pleased to find that a new power shower had been fitted…either that or the problems with the water pressure had been sorted out, and indeed it maintained a good pressure and temperature throughout our stay, no matter what time of day I used it.
The food menu was more or less the same also, with a good variety of choice especially on the vegetarian menu. My partner and I particularly enjoyed the cheesecake, which we had twice during the week, and thought it was to die for!
The best thing about the Eliot Hotel is the location for sure. It very near to the main street for shops and pubs and within easy walking distance of all the main beaches.
Overall, we did enjoy our stay and even though we ended up in the same room, I think that the small improvements made it a better stay than last time however; I do think that in general the hotel does still need some renovation to bring it into the 21st century. For example, WI FI in all the bedrooms instead of just the foyer would be a bonus, and if the décor of the rooms and reception was to be updated it would brighten the place up no end.

5  Thank Coldplayer42
Reviewed 5 August 2014

My Husband and myself stayed at Eliot Hotel for a week, wasnt expecting too much as the cost of the holiday was fair so wasnt disappointed. The room was clean and comfortable, the staff friendly, but i agree with other comments about updating the hotel and entertainment. The food was lovely and hot and didnt have to wait too long to be served.Only a short walk to all amenities, including the Zoo, Wetherspoons pub called The Towan Blystra, lovely beaches etc all in all a lovely holiday will be back again.

Room Tip: 110 room good
4  Thank tracyann1
Reviewed 3 August 2014

My daughter and myself have had a lovely week at the Eliot Hotel, the food is good value and we were fortunate to be served by James who kept us thoroughly entertained! , he is a real asset to the hotel.
I was a little surprised to be seated with two other guests - Janet and Vera ,but we soon got chatting away and had a really lovely time with them, two very special ladies.
I agree with other comments that the hotel is old fashioned, but we found it to be very clean, our room was spotless, the staff are very helpful, and keeping in mind what our holiday cost we felt it was value for money . The 3 trips were enjoyable but I would rather have had more time at each location and miss out the en route stops to Cider farms etc.

Room Tip: can be noisy in the rooms at the front of the hotel and it is impossible for the hotel to provide a...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family