“Good location”

Bay Beresford Hotel
Ranked #14 of 37 Hotels in Newquay
Reviewed 22 May 2013

We have just spent three nights at the Beresford Hotel with Shearing Holidays. My husband and I paid extra for a sea view and our room was fine. We requested for lift access for my Mum and my Father in law but on arrival were told that the lift for our rooms was out of order. We explained that both parents couldn't manage the stairs that was the reason for the lift access, so good enough they changed their rooms to the second floor that was accessed by a lift. My Father in law's room was adequate if a little dated but my Mum's room number 39 was in a worse state. The carpet was baggy and could have been quite dangerous for anyone bad on their feet. (Mum is 79 and quite fit) Both the single beds had mattressess that had seen better days with the springs sticking out on both of them. I told her that I would ask for a mattress to be replaced but she said she would sleep on top of one of the duvets. The door knob was loose and very awkward to lock and she had to let the water run in the shower or sink for over 5 minutes to get any hot water which was very wasteful. I have had to rate the rooms as poor because of my Mum's room. We had an extra single bed in a joining room where we found a sock on the floor at the end of the bed which makes you wonder if the floor had been vaccumed after the last people. We had no problem with the water pressure in the shower and we were on the 3rd floor. The staff at the hotel were very pleasant and helpful, the food was very good and the service was excellent. Knowing what we know now we would have used public transport to see more of Cornwall and not bothered with the Shearing trips. Our driver Mike was quite a comedian and had us all laughing, making the trip very pleasant. I would go with Shearings again but would check the reviews more thoroughly next time.

Room Tip: Do not have room number 39. Room 301 has a good sea view.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Sandra C
NewquayBeresford, General Manager at Bay Beresford Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2013

Hi Thank you for your comments, I can understand that if you were in room 301, which was refurbished this winter and has amazing views, that room 39 would seem dissapointing for your parents. I wish you had told us about the uncomfortable bed, we have spare mattresses and would have been only to happy to change a poor one.

I am glad that you enjoyed the food and the area, Cornwall is so beautiful at the moment!

Reviewed 20 May 2013

On arrival room allocation didn't match our names so had to show booking invoice, our room was No 52 the case outside was for room 32, plus no key in the door as expected, the ceiling and walls to our room were in poor condition. Things happen in three's, it did! that night a very apologetic barman dropped a glass that shattered on the back of my chair peppering my jumper which proved more entertaining than the bingo. That night my wife removed a piece of glass still in my jumper which we gave next morning to the lovely maid Malina., Ok! now the good, the Hotel overlooks a lovely beach, you get a mouth watering full English breakfast, good evening meals, 4 drinks PPPD and attentive waiter service plus an informative happy Shearings tour driver.

Room Tip: Avoid room 52 and upgrade to a sea view.
3  Thank Robert C

Hi

Thanks for commenting on trip advisor and I am sorry that you had a bad start to your holiday with us. We do try to make arrival as smooth as possible, but sometimes we do make mistakes.

I am glad you enjoyed your breakfast and the view!

Reviewed 18 May 2013

This is my third Shearings holiday and it definitely comes in at third place. My heart sank when our coach pulled up outside the Beresford Hotel. It looked old and tired and worn-out. However, my sea-view room was comfortable and clean apart from the carpet that looked as though it hadn’t been vacuumed for some time. The communal rooms were clean to strike the right first impression but over the course of four days the stair carpets became more and more grubby. We never once saw anyone using a vacuum cleaner in any area of the hotel.
The showers had very little water pressure and the basin hot water taps belched and spluttered.
There are two lifts, each serving one half of the Beresford. The lift for our use had broken down before we arrived and was not due to be repaired until after our departure, this meant we had fifty two steps to climb to our rooms on the third floor. It seems that these lifts are a nightmare even when they are working. Isn’t it time Shearings showed some consideration for their many loyal guests, and hard-working staff, and had these ancient lifts replaced.
For guests seated near the front of the dining room the buffet breakfast arrangements are sloppy. There are no croissants or fresh fruit but I did enjoy having kippers.
The food in general is very basic but at dinner there is something for everyone and our waitress was helpful. The dining tables are too small for four people, but they are necessary to fit in as many diners as possible. My friend and I had to share a table with two others and one of them knocked over a glass of red wine because the table was so cluttered. It’s just as well that there are complimentary drinks. We didn’t like the dining arrangements at all. If you should decide to have lunch at the Beresford I must say that it is excellent value for money and better quality than the food served in the dining room.
Even though our driver was pretty good and knowledgeable of the area, the included Shearings trip ‘along the Atlantic coast’ is a waste of precious time. It’s a trip to a bling store. The optional trips to Mevagissey and Falmouth did not allow enough time to see everything we would have liked to. With only three full days in Cornwall we now know we should have made more use of the local buses to see the real Cornwall. A bus stops only two minutes away from the Beresford and goes to The Eden Project and our bus ticket gave us a further reduction off the entry price. The hotel reception staff have information on bus timetables to Eden and other parts of Cornwall but this information wasn’t volunteered, we had to ask for it.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank jmaggieb

Hi

Thank you for taking the time to comment on trip advisor and I am glad to hear that some parts of your stay met your expectations.

We are having problems with the lift on one side of the hotel and, you are right, it is old, however these few weeks are proving that it is far better to have an old lift than none at all. Plans are in place for a new lift on that side of the Hotel, which will be fabulous, but would involve closing the hotel for structural alterations, so this will be done off season.

We cater for 200 guests within 1.5 hours, and this can be very busy, especially when everyone decides to eat at the same time. I watch service regularly and feel that we do deliver a good standard of food and service, but appreciate that it is not to everyone's taste.

Shearings have 48 hotels in their group that are divided between Bay Hotels and Coast and Country Hotels. Why not give Coast and Country a look, they are geared to a more relaxed holiday, with opportunities to dine a la carte and upgrade your room.

Reviewed 17 May 2013

Stayed there for 3 nights on the may bank holiday weekend. The location is great a short walk into town and opposite a beach. I upgraded to a sea view which was very nice. The staff were great and the food was good. I stayed in room 305 which was nice apart from problems with the water pressure in the shower and lack of hot water in the morning which was very frustrating. Would go back again but stay on a lower floor due to the shower problem.

Room Tip: Worth paying extra for a sea view!
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
10  Thank Mancsolihull
NewquayBeresford, General Manager at Bay Beresford Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2013

Hi

thank you for taking the time to comment on trip advisor, and we are glad that you enjoyed yourself and liked your room.

I am sorry that you had a problem with the shower in your room, but hope that you will come and visit us again soon.

Reviewed 11 May 2013

We've just spent four nights at the Beresford on a Shearings holiday. The staff couldn't do enough for us and were obviously motivated by the management who were all 'hands on'. Waching them they all appeared to enjoy their work. The food was plentiful with a good selection and the entertainment was very good. The sea views from our bedroom were superb and well worth the extra we paid. The bathroom was scrupulously cleaned every day - as was the whole room - and the only downside was the size of the shower which was just the basic square shape but his didn't spoil what was overall all a wonderful visit. As the title says 'WE'LL BE BACK'

Room Tip: The sea view rooms are well worth the extra cost although they can be a little noisy with the window...
3  Thank redYorkshire

I am delighted that you enjoyed yourselves with us and that you intend to come back, that is always the best compliment you can pay us.

I will ensure that the staff see your comments as they are proud of the service they offer and it is great to see that it is appreciated.

Reviewed 10 May 2013

We have just got back from the Beresford having been on a Shearings Coach holiday. The hotel is very clean, maybe parts a little dated, ie the lift!! The staff were amazing nothing was too much trouble . The breakfast and evening dinner were very good and the drinks vouchers most welcome. The entertainment each evening was good and we will certainly be back.

Room Tip: We were on the 3rd floor and the stairs a bit of a struggle (the lift a bit cramped!) the room had b...
4  Thank milliemooCheshire

Hi

Thank you for your great comments, we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and that you have taken the time to let others know!

The Bay Inclusive package is a great deal and its popluarity definately fills our rooms! Why not try one of our other Bay Hotels, not all of them offer the Bay Inclusive Package, but they are in great locations and still are fantastics value for money

Reviewed 10 May 2013

We stayed here for one night only as we wanted an extra night in Newquay ,we arrived in our room but was shocked at how dirty it was ,sheets were clean but the throw was filthy ,the doors had all sorts of marks on them and lots of dust ,we went down to reception and said we were unhappy ,i felt uncomfortable as i have never complained before about a hotel ,the receptionist immediately upgraded our room without question ,which was impressive in itself and very good service ,but although the rooms view was amazing... looking directly onto beach ,the room was( cleaner) than the first room and we decided to accept it as we realised this was the best on offer,but it wasn't clean ,the throw had dirty marks on it ,rest of bedding was clean so we just took throw off .i know its an old hotel and that dose not bother me in the slightest ,but thick dust and dirty doors and surfaces are standard cleaning ,the dust for example on top of door is so thick ,when we went to breakfast on the surface looked fine but if you look at the skirting boards around dining room there covered in dirty splash marks which could easily be cleaned with normal cleaning routine ,its a shame as staff seem good and nothing to do with decor .

5  Thank cpfc1965

Hi

thank you for taking the time to comment on trip advisor

I have looked into your concerns about the cleanliness as this is not a comment that we usually receive, if you check out trip advisor, the opposite is usually the case!

I check the rooms every week, but I have never noticed the door closers, and I agree with you that it was dusty. We have since checked every room to ensure that this does not happen again. The bedding looked spotless, indeed, it is hard to go wrong with duvets, and the runners are cleaned on changeovers.

Thank you again for your comments and we hope to see you in the future