“Superb Hotel”

Bay Beresford Hotel
Ranked #14 of 37 Hotels in Newquay
Reviewed 11 October 2013

This was our 4th visit to this hotel. We were on a self drive weekend break.
On arrival we were greeted by a friendly young man who arranged for us to park at the nearby Marina Hotel . It is well worth the £5 per day parking as it costs £10 for 24hrs at closest car park.
We had Room 306 which has been refurbished to a high standard. Lovely soft furnishings, comfy bed, new furniture and a good shower room. The one thing that hasn't changed are the views over Tolcarne Beach. Stunning !!
The food was excellent. Plenty of choice, well cooked and beautifully presented. Well done chef !
The staff are all very hard working, well mannered and friendly. Our waiter Yene was very polite and good at his job. Little Tina who served our coffee and cleaned our room is fantastic. She always on the go but finds time for a friendly chat.
The entertainment was good . Bingo and a singer on Friday, Singer on Saturday and a quiz and a singer on Sunday. They all did very well at entertaining us.
There's a lovely TV lounge for those who want it and quiet areas where you can read the free newspapers. There's also boxed games, books and a pool table.
We had the BI which meant 4 drinks each per day. Fantastic value ! Great bar service too.
There is a bus stop near the hotel where you can catch a bus to Truro, Perranporth, Padstow and other destinations and of course into the Town centre and the bus station if you need to.
I would definitely recommend this Hotel . We will certainly be visiting it again.

Room Tip: It is worth upgrading to a standard plus room with a seaview. These rooms have been beautifully refu...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank June2150
NewquayBeresford, General Manager at Bay Beresford Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 October 2013

Hi June

It is great to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us and that you have taken the time to put this on trip advisor.

The newly refurbished rooms are lovely and we are having another phase done straight after Christmas, so more and more guests can benefit from the upgrades. You are right, the view from the Hotel of Tolcarne Beach and the Atlantic Ocean is amazing and well worth the extra supplement.

I will pass your comments onto Chef who will be delighted that you enjoyed the food, and that you had great service from Yene.

Shearings are running some great deals at the moment, but I still think that the most popular is the Bay Inclusive, those 4 drinks each per day really enhance the holiday!

Thank you again for your great comments

There are newer reviews for Bay Beresford Hotel

Reviewed 8 October 2013

Just returned from a week at The Beresford Hotel in Newquay. Hotel was a bit tired looking and could do with an update especially the pillows. The Staff was really helpful nothing was too much trouble. Our waitress Anya was always there with a smile and nothing was too much trouble. I would certainly go back.

Room Tip: We had a room overlooking the sea where we could watch the surfers in the eveing. Lovely.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank DerbyBeachbuddies

Hi

Thank you for your comments, I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and would consider coming back again.

Shearings are offering some great deals at the moment, so maybe its the time to get the brochures out.

Reviewed 6 October 2013

Just returned from a week at The Beresford Hotel in Newquay. As most reviews agree the hotel is a little tired and could really do with an update especially the beds. Other than that the staff are so helpful and friendly. Our waitress Susi was always ready with a smile and nothing was to much trouble. We saw the sun when we arrived for our holiday and we saw it again when our holiday ended, but it didn't stop us enjoying our time in Newquay at the Beresford

1  Thank Pip B

Hi Pip

Thank you for taking the time to comment on trip advisor and I am pleased that you enjoyed yourself in Newquay, despite the weather!

I will make sure that Susi knows that you mentioned her personally, she will be delighted.

Hope to see you again soon

Reviewed 30 September 2013

I checked out the Hotel after booking my Shearing's holiday and read the reviews both good and bad .

The Beresford is the typical traditional "2star" seaside hotel . Yes the room was a little tired but very clean. The staff service were all lovely and very helpful.

The menu held a choice of plain food which was well cooked and presented and again the staff were happy to "mix and match"set dishes to suit you.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
7  Thank Cookie169755
NewquayBeresford, General Manager at Bay Beresford Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 October 2013

Hi

Thanks for your comments, trip advisor is a great medium for being able to check out your destination and you obviously did this and came to our Hotel knowing what to expect.

However, I am glad that we managed to exceed your expectations on the menu, our Chef does work hard to ensure that all of our guests enjoy the food, and is proud of his achievements.

Now that you have stayed with us I hope that you will look at more Shearings Hotels, there are 48 in total, in Scotland, England and Wales.

Reviewed 22 September 2013

Just returned from a 7 night break here. Hotel location is fabulous looking straight down onto Tolcarn Bay which throughout our stay was full of surfers from early morning 'til late evening. As with so many of Shearings hotels there is much need for a heavy injection of cash to update the premises, but having said that it was clean and warm with good food. The staff were, as always, brilliant...we had a broken toilet and a very draughty window both of which were fixed as soon as a tradesman could be located. The entertainment was well above the average once the obligatory bingo was over and we stayed up to enjoy it on most evenings. In the dining room our waitress Katie was a superstar remembering straight away that my partner likes 2 teabags in his teapot and that I prefer my eggs poached. Thanks to all the staff for their good attitude and smiling faces.
I realise that it is nothing to do with the hotel but I do feel that some of the trips should be flagged up more prominently as unsuitable for those with mobility problems. Yes there is a shuttle bus in St Ives which takes you from the coach park down into the centre but there is still quite a long steep road to negotiate down to the seafront from where you are dropped off. The river cruise was almost a disaster...it was low tide and we had to leave the coach and be taken further downstream on a double decker before being offloaded and having to walk down to and through the boatyard and then negotiate a very steep, long and slippery wooden walkway down onto the boat at the Truro end of the cruise and a flight of steep narrow steps at St. Mawes harbour...had we been told just how difficult this was we would not have even attempted it.
Having said that, and despite the awful weather for most of the week, we had a lovely time thanks mainly to the hotel and its lovely staff.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for a sea view room
1  Thank Pat H

Hi Pat

Thank you for your detailed review on trip advisor, and I am so pleased that you had a good holiday with us. Shearings offer great value for money and I think that this is evident in the fact that we are full virtually all of the year round!

I agree that watching the surfers riding the waves is a wonderful sight, and they do this all year, even when it snows, which doesnt sound fun to me!

I will pass your comments on to Katie, who will be delighted to have a personal mention, she is a great waiter and always gives good service.

Thanks again for commenting and we hope to see you in Newquay again.

Reviewed 20 September 2013

Went with Shearings for a weeks holiday at the Beresford. We were allocated a room on the top floor (47) which had recently been refurbished and had a lovely view over the sea. The food was fully satisfactory with plenty of choice and the service in the dining room very good. As the weather wasn't too good we found the nightly entertainment a great benefit. As some others have said some areas of the hotel are beginning to look 'well worn', but this would not stop us from staying here again.

Room Tip: Worth paying the extra for a seaview room
5  Thank MMM006

Hi

its great to hear that you had a good week at the Beresford Hotel, despite the weather, after such a lovely summer, it is a bit of a shock to see wind and rain! Like you say, we do have entertainment every night, and this is more and more important as the nights draw in.

Hope to see you in Newquay again, but please take the time to look at our Hotel Collection brochure, we have some great hotels in fantastic locations.

Reviewed 16 September 2013

When my husband and I booked with Shearings we explicitly asked for a bath due to a health condition, I was told that this would be done, when we arrived we had a lovely newly decorated room, the only problem was it had a shower! the hotel themselves were brilliant, they let us use an empty room which had a bath, we were then moved to a room with a bath the next day, this mix up was not the hotels fault, they did all they could do, it was an annoyance though having to go to another room on the lower floor for a bath, then having to move rooms, but like I said this was not their fault. I told Shearing when I booked that I needed a bath and I would not book unless they could guarantee it, they put me on hold while they spoke to hotel to make sure this was done. This was obviously not the case, as the hotel knew nothing of this conversation.
The hotel itself is tired, but I found it to be clean. The staff are brilliant. The food is good. The hotel is aimed at OAP's on a coach trip, my husband and I were the youngest there! There were many of the other guests moaning and whinging about anything and everything, in my opinion it's good value, you do pay for what you get, it doesn't pretend to be a 4 star hotel.

Room Tip: A sea view room gives you an amazing view, but the road is very very noisy
4  Thank Vonnie356

Hi

Thank you for putting your comments on trip advisor, it really helps potential guests get a good idea of the Hotel and the resort.

I am glad that you enjoyed yourselves and that we were able to "round aboutly" sort out the bath that you needed. As you say, we are a typical 2 star seaside hotel and we are pleased to be able to give such great value for money to so many of our guests. Whilst we do take Shearings Coaches every week, we also have a good percentage of self drive guests, and in the holidays quite a lot of families, and our clientelle whilst predominantly over 55, does vary from week to week.

We are undergoing a programme of refurbishment, and I know that you stayed in one or our new bedrooms, which look great.

Thanks for your great comments about our staff and the food.

Hope to see you again soon