“Very few gripes”

Ranked #14 of 38 Hotels in Newquay
Barrow-in-Furness, United Kingdom
“Very few gripes”
Reviewed 25 April 2014

What wonderful value good food great staff clean warm and happy people this is top stuff from a hotel that had seen better days ! But never fear this place has soul ! Good good good bathrooms could do with some minor maintenance ie loose towel rails and loose loo seat , but that's nothing that cannot be sorted well done

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank JDAVIES148
NewquayBeresford, General Manager at Bay Beresford Hotel, responded to this review, 4 May 2014
Hi

I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay, and took the time to comment on trip advisor.

Shearings are great value for money, with some fantastic deals at present, well worth a look!

Jackie Cunliffe

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (378)
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights, we paid £99 for 3 nights bed, breakfast and evening meal. We had a room with a great view overlooking the beach, the room was warm and comfortable but the bed was very small for 2 people, the bathroom was dated, the shower had no power in it , and I did give up with it after 1 shower. the food was basic, always cold when it got to us.But for what we paid we didn't mind as it was cheap to eat in the town.
The staff were absolutely fantastic, nothing was too much trouble and they were happy smiley people, entertainment was ok for older people, bingo, etc. There is a very good bar with lovely staff, and very reasonable prices,
I would stay here again, but ask for an upgrade on the room as I saw another with decent sized beds, also we were not too bothered about the food as it was so cheap to stay there, we didn't go with Shearings coach holidays, we drove, there isn't much parking at the hotel but there is a large carpark beside it with a £5 per day charge which is standard for most places, overall we really enjoyed our stay, the hotel is in a great position, just a few minutes walk from the centre but far enough away for no noise. The lifts are very small and we generally took the stairs, but you could put your luggage in and 1 of you go with it!
This is a 2star hotel and you get what you pay for, except the staff that are 5 star.

Room Tip: Ask for a double size bed or twin beds.
1 Thank Kelle554
Hi

Thanks for your review, it is great to hear that our staff looked after you well, they are a lovely team!

Hope to see you again soon

Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

Just back from a 3 day break at the Beresford hotel. Read all the reviews but because it was only £99 each we took the plunge. The room was ok but the bathroom was a bit dated. Great views from the room over Tolcarne beach. Upgrade for the views, well worth it. Food was hit or miss. For example toast was a bit hard sometimes or soggy but meals were always filling. The staff are what makes this place tick. Excellent. Our waitress was good and the bar staff second to none. Reception staff were well organised and nothing was to much of a problem. We would go back again.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Hi

I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Shearings are offering some fantastic deals at the moment, and with 36 Bay Hotels and 14 Coast and Country Hotels in the group, you can really get to see some fabulous places around the country.

Thanks for taking the time to comment on trip advisor

fareham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Just returned from an easter break with shearings to newquay at the Beresford hotel, I think its the worst hotel I've ever stayed in, wallpaper hanging off the walls, nice avocado bathroom suite with a white loo seat, flush the loo and whole cistern moved. Food was absolutely disgusting all overcooked and tasteless, glass of wine served with big chip in it, staff didn't seemed to be bothered.

Room Tip: didn't seem to have any
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank brenda w
Hi Brenda

Thank you for taking the time to comment on trip advisor, and I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us, we take every comment seriously and try to sort out any issues. This is obviously a lot easier if you are still in the Hotel.

The Beresford Hotel is of a good 2 star standard, it was built at the turn of the last century, and with that comes many maintenance issues. We have a hard working maintenance team and a robust refurbishment programme and are therefore usually able to manage the upkeep of the property, and I regret that you found this not to be the case.

Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2014

My Mum and I wanted to go away together for the first time and Mum found this coach trip with Shearings and it was a bargain, which we later found out was too good to be true.

The journey to the hotel was a disaster and I will be taking this up with Shearings directly. I would recommend that anyone thinking about a coach holiday avoid Shearings. In order to justify my comments here is a brief breakdown of the journey to and from the hotel; the coach was late picking us up, the coach was displaying an out of date tax disc, the driver was awful, the driver provided us with no useful information about the excursions or our departure time from the hotel, the windscreen of the coach cracked on the way there and was not replaced so we drove home not knowing if it would shatter at any minute, the air conditioning broke on the way home so we baked, the driver got lost a few times, it took the driver over half an hour to load the cases on so we were late leaving and the list goes on but enough of that let me focus on the hotel.

When we arrived at the hotel, to say I was disappointed was an understatement. The building from the outside looks run down and in need of some repair. On entering the building I felt that I had walked back in time. The reception staff dealt with everyone quickly but unfortunately so quickly that incorrect information was being given out, they sent my mum to the third floor for our room when it should have been the second.

When we entered our room, if I could have turned around and gone home I would of. As you will see from the pictures attached there was wallpaper peeling off, the bathroom was dated and actually looked dirty. The room was freezing, some of the electrical items needed their PAT testing doing as it had expired, the whole room just looked dated and unwelcoming.

Even though I do not want to think about it, it is now time to talk about the food. Our first dinner there was absolutely awful. My Mum and I ordered garlic mushrooms to start, we were served 2 small tinned button mushrooms in what tasted like a thick mushroom soup, no garlic to be found. Then for our main course we ordered the roast chicken; the chicken was ok, the stuffing had the consistency of play dough, we were served chips and new potatoes (I don't know about everyone else but I have never had chips with my roast dinner before). Then for dessert I made the huge mistake of ordering the cheese and crackers, I received 4 very soft and stale crackers , the smallest amount of soft cheese you have ever seen not even enough for 1 cracker, some dry red cheese and a very small amount of Cheddar, also on the plate was some celery that had just been washed and the water was all over the cheese. The meals continued to be on a par with this first dinner for the whole of our stay.

My Mum had informed the hotel during the booking process that she was a diabetic. It was evident once arriving at the restaurant that no preparation had gone into planning her meals. When the waiter arrived at the table my Mum informed him that she was diabetic, yet on the first evening she was still served with cranberry sauce, carrots and strawberry sauce - all of these contain far too much sugar for her to eat. When it came to dessert my Mum was offered portions of fruit, which do contain high levels of sugar, no alternative had been planned in advance of her stay.

All through the trip and even on returning home all my Mum keeps saying is sorry as she feels responsible because she booked it and it was awful. I keep telling my Mum not to worry as she wasn't to know how bad it was going to be. My Mum was trying to do a nice thing for me as I needed a break and now she feels bad. The only saving grace of this break was that I haven't laughed so much in ages, but if I hadn't of laughed I would have cried.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Kim H
NewquayBeresford, General Manager at Bay Beresford Hotel, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
Hi

It is with regret that I have read your comments about your Shearings Holiday and the Beresford Hotel.

We aspire to provide our guests with warm, comfortable accommodation, good food and entertainment and helpful and friendly staff, and whilst we have to accept that we cant always achieve this, it is never taken lightly.

I do wish that you had come to speak to us whilst you were here, I have spoken to all our HOD's and no one had a complaint from you registered. We could maybe have helped by moving a room and this might have made a difference for you and your mother.

I am surprised and disappointed with your comments on our food, if you read our other posts, you will see that our food is generally very well received. Our Head Chef, Phil, works hard to ensure that everyone gets well cooked, well presented food, he is excellent at catering for special diets, and I can honestly say that I have never had negative feedback from a diabetic before, but obviously there are different levels of diabetes and maybe if your mothers was so severe, you should have spoken to the Chef, who would have helped.

Thank you for taking the time to comment.

worksop,notts
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Just returned from 5 day stay at the Beresford with Shearings holidays. The hotel is clean and well run by very efficient and helpful staff. The food is plentiful and of a decent quality for the money paid. Entertainment at night was good and the comedian on the final night was brilliant. The only down side of the hotel was the very small lifts. Only 2 people could fit in the lift without luggage and it would be impossible to fit a person in a wheelchair in the lift. The hotel is on the sea front at the northern end of the resort yet only a few minutes walk from the town centre. Although Newquay has a reputation as a very lively resort at night no noise was heard from the hotel. Recommended for couples particularly seniors.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms are good and remarkably quiet
1 Thank worksopray
NewquayBeresford, General Manager at Bay Beresford Hotel, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Hi

Its great to hear that you had an enjoyable stay with us and enjoyed the food and the entertainment and found the hotel to be clean and the staff to be friendly and helpful.

We do take pride in our Hotel and the staff really work hard to ensure that they give the best possible service, so to have reviews that say we have succeeded is so good.

Newquay does have a lively reputation but it also has the most beautiful coastline and countryside, well worth a second visit!

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 April 2014

My wife and i stayed at this hotel for five days this week 14th 18th of April and can honestly say we really enjoyed ourselves and yes the hotel is very dated and it could do with a bit of tender loving care but in my opinion the things that matter most are cleanliness /pleasant staff and nice meals and this hotel had it in abundance Only snag with the hotel being old the floor boards creak something awful and that does disturb your sleep

Room Tip: if you get a top floor room that should stop you being disturbed by the creaky floor boards
Hi

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Beresford Hotel.

We are a traditional seaside hotel that was built at the turn of the last century and with that does come certain challenges, like the floorboards in some areas!

As you say, we are great value for money and Shearings are offering some fantastic deals at the moment, so I hope that you will consider looking at some of the great locations across the country!

Thank you for taking the time to comment