“Cheap & Cheerful!”

Bay Beresford Hotel
Ranked #14 of 37 Hotels in Newquay
Reviewed 11 May 2014

We have just returned from a 5 day break with Shearings to the Bay Beresford Hotel, Newquay and all in all we enjoyed our time there. You really do get what you pay for, which sometimes means that yes, the hotels are a bit tired and rough round the edges, and this was no exception, but our room was spacious and clean, the bathroom was small, but we had plenty of hot water. The shower was not very good as there was more water leaking down the sides than actually coming out of the shower head, but as we were only there for a short time we coped with it. We did report it to Reception on the first day, but it was never dealt with.

The food was very average, breakfasts were good, but Dinner left a lot be desired! The staff were excellent, very friendly and helpful but did seem to run off their feet. Entertainment was ok and we met some lovely people. All in all, the price was very good and included 2 excursions and four free drinks per person per night, so as I said, you get what you pay for.

Room Tip: it's was well worth paying a bit extra for a sea view, as the hotel is right opposite Tolcarne b...
1  Thank Anne M
NewquayBeresford, General Manager at Bay Beresford Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 May 2014

Hi

Thank you for your review, I have tried to work out what room you were in to check out the shower situation, I am sorry that it wasn't resolved whilst you were here.

Reviewed 11 May 2014

Just got back from newquay after staying in the beresford. Hotel could do with some decorating and the side of the hotel where another building has been pulled down looks a mess and a bit off putting. I don't think I would choose that hotel if I had driven there and got a last minute booking because of that wall.which would be a shame because the food was good, bedroom clean, towels and even shower curtain changed a few times whilst we were there and the staff very friendly. If you go get a room with a sea view, we didn't but the ones who did said it was a lovely view. Oh by the way we were woken up with an alarm call for six on the day of departure. Normally we would have had the phone ring to wake us up but this was an alarm on the phone. Very loud and made us both wonder what on earth was going on! Be warned! If you don't want this remember to tell reception because I did ask and everyone gets this! The four free drinks were a bonus. We didn't use all ours as we both don't drink much but they can be used for bottled water at the bar which was very good because we didn't like the taste of the water when we had our dinner! We would go again.

Room Tip: Rooms with a sea view would be a bonus.

Hi Gwendoline

Thanks for commenting on trip advisor, and I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Shearings are offering some great deals at the moment, well worth a look at both Bay Hotels and Coast and Country Hotels.

Reviewed 9 May 2014

Just returned from a great time at this hotel.We had a lovely,warm,comfortable sea view room, Have been twice before but the food has definitely improved-both taste and presentation.The staff efficient and helpful, and the whole experience great value for money.Shearings driver Roger was very informative and helpful too.The room that we had was more stylish and modern than at our previous visits.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms are definitely worth it despite the traffic noise.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank vonnie67
NewquayBeresford, General Manager at Bay Beresford Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2014

Hi

Thanks for your comments.

I assume from the review that you had one of our refurbished rooms, the investment programme is well planned, and we expect another batch to be started at the end of this year, so more and more of our guests can expect that standard of accommodation.

Phil, our Chef was delighted that you found the food better than before, he is continually reviewing the quality and presentation and is always pleased when this has been noticed!

Hope to see you again soon

c

Reviewed 9 May 2014

We have just returned from a 5 day break at the Bay Beresford hotel in Newquay Cornwall with Shearings holidays and can only praise everyone involved. Although the journey was a little longer than we would have liked (my wife has a major back problem) it went very smoothly.The hotel allocated us an adapted ground floor room which was in an excelent position and even had an orthopeadic adjustable bed which gave my wife some of the best sleep she has had at a hotel for a long time. the 4 free drinks a day also helped ;-))). All the staff where so cheerful and helpfull even at the end of the day. The choice and quality of the food was way above expectations. In all a very enjoyable break which we hope to repeat later in the year.

Hi Tony

Thank you for taking the time to comment on trip advisor.

I am delighted that you and your wife enjoyed your stay, and could take advantage of that clever adjustable bed in the disabled room.

Our staff will be so pleased that you found them friendly and helpful, they are a really great team and work hard to give good service, food and entertainment.

Reviewed 7 May 2014

Visited here a few weeks ago and had a great time. We had paid extra for a Standard Plus Room and a Seaview which pushed the cost up a bit but made sure we had a refurbished room at the front of the hotel which had had a lovely modern bathroom and a big bay window with a couple of tub chairs which were great to sit in and admire the view. The bay window was quite appropriate, as the view over the bay was amazing from the moment we first entered the room to the sad morning of our departure, especially at sunrise and sunset.

The hotel is in a great location with the Tolcarne beach just over the road, and all of Newquay's other delights just a short walk away.

It's fair to say we're younger than most of the holidaymakers on a Shearings holiday but it made no difference to us. The hotel had a lively atmosphere and there was no time to be bored! The breakfasts kept us going till mid afternoon and the three course dinners were great too - the waiting staff were really efficient. The drinks vouchers were a great bonus to the holiday and included many main brands, with a great pint of Worthingtons being my preferred tipple. Used the pool table a couple of times too. We're not bingo players so didn't partake in that (unlike most other people!) but we enjoyed the other entertainment - singers and a comedian over the course of the week. As I said before, there's never a dull moment here and we would definitely return.

Room Tip: It's worth paying more for a Standard Plus, Seaview room.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tr4vel

HI

Thanks for the lovely review on trip advisor.

The Standard plus rooms are nice, we only have a few, but they are proving popular and well worth the extra supplement. We hope that in the next round of bedroom refurbishment there will be more.

As you say, that view is fantastic, and the sunsets match any in the world ( not that I am biased), Newquay has such a beautiful coastline, and the beaches are amazing, well worth a visit or two.

Its great to hear that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay, including the nightly entertainment, even if you didn't join in the bingo.

Hope to see you again in Newquay, or check out our other Bay Hotels around the country, they are in some lovely places.

Reviewed 3 May 2014

Have just returned from The Beresford Hotel ,after a 5day Shearings mid week break
How on earth it is done for the price is a complete mystery.
There are better hotels in the world , but not better staff ,nothing is is too much trouble
Every body works very hard to make your stay very enjoyable .
The food is very good and with 4 free drinks per day per person what more could you want ?
It is a long journey from Yorkshire , but with food and comfort breaks it,s absolutely fine
There will be a warm welcome waiting for you at The Beresford by Jackie and her staff
Don,t even think about it get up and go ,we did Tom and Joyce Freeth .

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank nomad1940
NewquayBeresford, General Manager at Bay Beresford Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 May 2014

Hi Tom and Joyce

Thankyou for commenting about your stay on trip advisor.

It is always great to hear that our staff have done a good job, they are such a great team and they all work hard to try and ensure every guest enjoys themselves.

Hope to see you back in Newquay soon

Reviewed 27 April 2014

I chose this coach holiday at the last minute. I've never did one before and after this one I can say I would defiantly do one again. Great coach company, very helpful driver Roger, who made the trip go quick and a happy one.
The hotel is very oldie worldly and in some place could do with, I'd say redecoration but not refurbishment, as it would loose it's great character. My room was very clean and spacious but I did hear some had very small rooms. The food, well it was not what I was expecting it was more Al a Cart then typical seaside hotel and very tasty. Restaurant staff were very happy and smiley the only fault I found was as our waitress was I think Spanish we had to repeat ourselves several times when asked what we wanted, but we got there in the end.
Entertainment, well the one night we managed to get in the room was good, but there was not enough seating in there so if you took too long in the dining room you had no chance on getting in there :(
Hotel staff was very helpful and friendly and very quick to sort out problems or inquiries.
Ok now for the faults I found but these are quiet small and nothing major but I believe need a mention. As in most hotels either here in England or abroad at 4 til 5 it's Tea and Cake time, but in this hotel it was only on a Tuesday which was a downer :( as it would have been nice each day.
The only other real thing I found was very disappointing was the so called Gala Dinner on the last evening. This we were all very excited about only to find all it was, was a Champagne Sorbet in between the starter and main course, I have to admit I'm actually smiling about it as I type this.
Over all a brilliant time was had .
I would recommend this Shearing Coach Trip to anyone.

Room Tip: Stayed in room 20 not a great view from window but the room it's self was very clean and comfort...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Hi

I am so glad that you enjoyed your first coach trip with Shearings, it is an excellent Company to travel with and has 50 Hotels to choose from.

Our Spanish staff in the restaurant are great, but I do understand your comment about having to repeat your requests!

We hope to see you again, there is so much in Cornwall to explore, it must be worth another visit!