“70's flash back”

Sandy Lodge Hotel
Ranked #19 of 38 Hotels in Newquay
“70's flash back”
Reviewed 25 September 2013 via mobile

Stayed one night in this hotel and that was enough. The bedroom look like it hadn't been updated since 1970. Everything was very dated and old. I wasn't expecting 4 star but even travelodge is better than this. This hotel has seen better days and is in need of a bit of an update.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Jaj999

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
Burton upon Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 September 2013

We have just returned from a two night break at The Sandy Lodge Hotel,or should that be the Shabby Lodge Hotel??We stayed in room 329,where we were met with the following :-
Shower was in fact two rubber hoses fitted to the bath taps.
No shower curtain or screen
Clear glass in the bathroom window, which as the sash cord was broken meant the window could't be left open the onlt form of ventilation.. Their solution was to leave us a piece of wood to prop it open!!!
Toilet was next to clear glass window which was overlooked by houses or people walking up the road.
Sliding door from room to bathroom was not wide enough to adequately fill the gap.Embarassing when using the facilities.
The fire door into our room from the landing was badly fitted having a large gap down the side & bottom of thedoor which contravenes Fire Regulations. No barrier should the landing fill with smoke, it would just pour into the room.
Space between bottom of bed & bathroom was approximately 8-10 inches.
On arrival one of the 2 cups was dirty, I washed it myself as I couldn't bring myself to use he 'phone.It was filthy, as was the bedside cabinet. I don't think the 'phone had ever been wiped even.
The drinks allocation,4 of everything, after that you had to buy your own from machine in reception.
Breakfast was the only good thing about this hotel.will we return---never!!

Room Tip: Don't choose room 329 or even any other!!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Cynthia R
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 September 2013

I have just returned from sandy Lodge with a David Urquhart holiday , my second time at this hotel ( had already booked this one & then booked a mystery tour, ended up at same one ) as on the first hollday the food was quite good & most of the staff nice & friendly , tho did speak to owner concerning a complaint & he told me i should of dealt with it my self, as a previous reviewer has written , & i think they were on the same trip as me & my 92yr old mum , the rooms are small , beds are rock hard , i had a light from a building next door shining in my window all night , a simple blind or curtain liners would solve that problem , but the 'bathrooms' if you can call them that are a disgrace , i had a single room , 146, the sink over lapped the toilet & blocked have the shower door , ever time i used it i banged my stomach & leg on it so much so im very badly bruised , ok im a bigger girl BUT im not the only who complained , the chamber maid told me of another lady who banged her hip every time she used hers & that was a different room , it was so small in there there was no room to get undressed with the sliding door closed ,& i should imagine a man would have to stand sideways !! which means he'd be almost in the bedroom ! mums had slightly more room as her sink was in the bedroom , 148, , as someone else said the owner is penny pinching , rooms are cramped & as many jammed in as possible , i would like to see the owner , who is not a slim gentleman use HIS facilities ! i think he would get well & truly stuck ! aS for the ower ! i went down early one morning to complain about the guest in the next room having their tv on ALL night , his answer was that I should of phoned the room myself & tell the person to turn it down , not my place to do that , it is the job of the hotel to see to the comfort of their guests , & as the other guest said who was staying at the same time as me has said , we were shoved into another room with no bar because there was a private party booked they took over the hotel hung round the bar while we the , paying guests tried to get drinks , i had to get drinks for a couple as there were steps to this other room & the lady had crutches & he could manage the steps while holding the drinks , they said that someone would come round for our orders & they did ONCE !! we also had to wait for dinner one night as their was another coach arriving & they had to be fed first , seems to me that this hotel that advertises as friendly & family run is nothing of the sort , the owner , has jammed as many rooms in a small a space as he can & once he's got you there he dont give a damn about your comfort or enjoyment of your holiday , yes the food is quite good although when we asked for more butter for our one small roll we were told it was one small butter per person , also the tea & coffee in the room is not restocked when needed if you use whats there , you have to buy more , so if you're going take your own teabags , coffee & milk because he charges £1 for a bag with 8 teabags in it ! i would advise that you dont go to this hotel , its a shame so many coach companies use it because there were a LOT of complaints, be prepared to carry your own suitcases to your room , first time i went we & that included many ederly people had to take our own bags to & from our rooms doen long narrow corridors & some up & down steps this time their were some small boys who brought our bags to our room but we had to take them down on leaving not something my mum at 92 could of done if id not been there , dreadful , no porters , buy your own tea & coffee expect to end up briused with a bad backache ! just what you want on holiday

Room Tip: Go to another hotel
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank janey1956_11
Bournemouth
Reviewed 16 September 2013

After having two good holidays with DQ,this one left me very dissapointed,good food,but owners rude and arrogant,our party had to use a smaller room on the Saturday as normal room booked for private party(big spenders),NO BAR FOR US WE HAD TO USE THE OTHER BAR SOME YARDS AWAY.Sunday night just as we were ready to go in for dinner,at 7.30pm,we were told another coach had turned up and they would be served first !Bedrooms were small,dingy,and hot.Saturday nights "party lot" kept many of us awake until early hours of the morning,when one of our group went down to reception to complain,NO ONE THERE.WHEN STAFF WAS CONTACTED RUDE AND UNHELPFUL.Condition of building leaves a lot to be desired,penny pinching scotch owners.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank BournemouthPensioner
Pleasley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 September 2013

I have just returned from an excellent week at this hotel with Nova Tours of Chesterfield. The choice, variety, quality and quantity of food were all excellent. Free fluffy, clean towels every time we used the pool which was so relaxing - like swimming in a warm bath. All staff members were pleasant and very helpful. As for Neville, he had everyone laughing in no time. The only imponderable was the lack of tea/coffee being replenished daily. With so many excellent and more costly freebies, it seemed an unnecessary economy. We solved this by buying UHT milk and teabags at the nearby Tesco. For less than £3 they lasted the whole week. It's such a pity that Newquay town centre has gone downhill. However the beaches and cliff walks were still brilliant.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank enid d
Caerphilly, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 September 2013

My partner booked a weekend break for me for an early birthday present, took us nearly 6 hours to get here from Cardiff!!!
When we arrived my partner had to help the driver get the luggage off the coach as the guests on our coach just stood around !!
Had evening meal on the Friday night - my fish was cooked properly. On the next day we sat down to breakfast only to be told that as only put coach party in the hotel there would be NO ENTERTAINMENT on the Saturday evening !! Then on my last morning at breakfast we sat down to eat our breakfast, then patiently waited for our pot of tea !! The waitress walked passed us on a few occasions and not even acknowledged us, so we went upstairs to our room to make tea!!!
Sorry wont be RECOMMENDING this hotel !!
The only thing I can say nice about this hotel is the jacuzzi (then you got to pay for it!!)
Plus the bar shut at 10pm on a Saturday night !! It's a good job we are young myself and my partner as we went up town to the bars and pubs !!!

• Stayed August 2013
6 Thank clarke1967
English Riviera, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 August 2013

Bedrooms spacious and well equipped, staff very helpful and friendly, food value for money but not adventurous. The hotel exterior (especially at the back) could do with some TLC - but thats just cosmetics and doesn't affect the general overall stay. Typical coaching hotel overall. Most of residents were 'mature' during our stay and entertainment reflected that.
Value for money - would stay there again (at the same price).

Room Tip: Try not to get a room near the lift, over the kitchen or near the chambermaids station. The first ke...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family