“Refurb needed !”

Ranked #20 of 38 Hotels in Newquay
Cheshire, UK
“Refurb needed !”
Reviewed 12 September 2009

Stayed one night recently. Owners appear very nice - friendly and chatty....however, the first thing we noticed was that the place smelled a little musty. Our bedrooms were tiny and some light fittings didn't work. The furnishings was very 1970s and extremely 'tired' looking. Remote control for the very elderly TV set was nowhere to be found. Corridors were narrow and the whole place appeared to have little or no sound proofing. The lift broke down very early on into our stay - a fact the female receptionist appeared to 'blame' on one of the other guests for 'pressing the button' so often they were unable to 'reset' the lift. The carpeted stairs up to the first floor looked like they hadn't been cleaned for quite a while - full of dirt and grime in the corners. I saw the snack machine in public area 'eat' money and refuse to dispense on several occasions during the evening and as the receptionist appeared to be forever 'disappearing' for a smoke outside, it was difficult to report the situation. The following day the hotel suffered a 'fault' (according to reception) in the hot water system, apparently resulting in no hot water for the entire building !! On the plus side the beds were comfy and clean, the towels were lovely ( didn't get to use them much though...thanks to no hot water ! ) and the breakfast was very acceptable - but that's the least you should expect from a hotel, isn't it ? We didn't complain at the time for two reasons, we didn't want to spoil the 'atmosphere' of the family function we were attending PLUS we knew we were there for only one night, so we 'put up' with it. I have to say though, I would not stay there again nor would I recommend the place and had we been booked to stay there longer - I'd have packed, left and gone somewhere else pronto.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sujel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
UK
Reviewed 16 August 2009

I travelled with a Tour company from Northern Ireland arriving in Sandy Lodge on Sat 1st August 2009. I was allocated room no. 107 on first floor, on entering I immediately refused it as it was so small it would have given anyone claustriphobia. I was allocate to another room 307 on ground floor, double bed, ensuite. This bathroom was very small and the electric shower occassionaly failed to heat the water. The WC for the first 2 days would not flush properly. when flushed the water level rose within the bowl almost to overflowing ( I kid you not) I discovered this WC appeared to be connected back to back to the WC in the disabled toilet, entry from foyer. When the Dis toilet was flushed it backfilled into the WC in my ensuite. when I heard DIS. TOILET FLUSH I immediately checked the BACK FILL into the WC in my ensuite. The floor lino/covering appeared to have been laid by an unqualified person. The worst and most unpleasant item from this ensuite was the very strong smell of URIINE.
The room was very hot and uncomfortable and as I could not open the window I asked the staff to do so. Well the surprise I got was something else. This only window which was bathroom type glass ( Bubble or similar ) when opened I discovered the hotel heating system with 7 or 8 hot pipes just outside this open window. Opening the window made the room like a hot house.
I spoke to the boss Peter in my room and complained , he fobbed me off with excuses that refurbishment was in the offing.
Someone mentioned Urhart tour using the hotel and the wonderful rooms they had. I looked at the rooms they had just vacated and there is no doubt they appeared very satisfactory. I suppose because this tour group visit every fortnight.
When I spoke to Peter I advised him that most of our group were very unhappy with the accomodation and that he should for good PR do something, at least when we were on the bus and ready to depart he should speak to our group and apologise for the very poor accomodation. Prior to our departure I saw Peter walk away past our coach and failed to face the music. He sent his wife Kathy to say good bye to us with a very poor response or mention of the quality of this rubbish accomodation.
I was ready to call in the HOTEL INSPECTOR or at least The Tourist Board.
This hotel should be severly sanctioned.
I WOULD GIVE THIS DUMP LESS THAN ZERO RATING FOR OUR ACCOMODATION.
I WOULD ADVISE ALL POTENIAL CUSTOMERS TO STAY AWAY
GEORGE PURDY

• Stayed August 2009
2 Thank pullor
dublin
Reviewed 7 August 2009

The most depressing hotel I have ever stayed in. This hotel has retained everything bad about the 1970's. The hotel and rooms drab and uninspiring. The elevator, when it chose to work, took an age and I found it easier to use the stairs to my second floor bedroom. The shower was cold. Breakfast was served in an overheated (canteen style) dining room. The food was inedible, I only went there the once. I chose to spend as much time away from the hotel as possible and only returned to sleep.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled solo
5 Thank Susan K
Northamptonshire
Reviewed 1 August 2009

Having read other reviews on this site I knew that I was not booking the greatest hotel however I was looking for cheap accomodation in Newquay. Well nothing in Newquay is cheap. First impressions were "what have we done" the room was very small, bathroom floor uneven and the corridors very narrow. I did not get much sleep on the first night as you can hear every footstep and voice outside the door and in the bathroom I could hear the nextdoor occupant snoring. However we did stay and stayed the week. I we got used to it and by about the third day it really was not that bad. It did the job a comfy bed and a tasty breakfast. However if I were the boss I would give the staff some training on customer service. Reception was fine. However the bar had random hours and a bar manager that felt it OK to drink behind the bar and nip off for cigarettes. We only ever ate Breakfast in the Hotel (although the evening menu appeared well priced and sounded good). Anyway Breakfast ends at 9,30 PROMPT!!! At 9.00 if the croisansts had gone no more would appear unless you asked. The juice dispencers were also removed at around 9am and replaced by plastic jugs of juice presumely so that they can was up as soon as possible. You could not choose where to sit, nor were we given a breakfast table for the week which would have been nice. One moring we were plonked on the end of another families table - not what you want early in the morning. I could go on lets just say that whether we arrived at breakfast at 8.45 or 9.15 they were clearing breakfast away and setting up for dinner constantly so although the food was good you felt as if you were being pushed out and could not enjoy a slow leisurely breakfast.
We felt very young in the hotel (in our 30s) the vast majority of guests (it appeared) were from coach parties and the evening 'entertainment' reflected that. There was a small gym, not equipped for the regular gym member, there is a very small swimming pool which we did not use. .All in all the place is fine, the bed was comfy, the towels nice and fluffy & breakfast tastey.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Towsty
Scotland
Reviewed 21 July 2009

This was our 2nd visit to the Sandy Lodge Hotel with David Urquhart tours. Again we were not disappointed in any way. What we loved about it was the friendlieness of the staff who appeared to be very happy and got along well with each other as well as the customers. Our waiter/ restaurant manager Neville had a good rapport with everyone and had a honed sense of humour, which he needed, as from our vantage point in the restaurant became a highlight of our day. We had a good viewpoint next to the desserts, where many people became adept at filling their plates to capacity ( and then some) with the most amazing puddings, trifles, gateaux, cream cakes, fruit salads that could only be described as scrumptious and plentiful. A testament to the great chefs and kitchen staff of Sandy Lodge - these were replenished as quickly as they were disappearing. Not to mention the delicious starters and main courses preceding the desserts! Sarah the receptionist was friendly and efficient as were the ladies who cleaned our bedroom each morning. They could be heard laughing and bantering with each other - a great sign of a happy workforce!
'Wee Stevie' was once again our driver and tour guide. He can best be described as professional, friendly, knowledgeable and importantly, he was a very safe and confident driver.
At the end of the holiday, one of the owners - Kathy Butterly came on board the coach to thank us for staying at the Sandy Lodge Hotel and to wish us a safe journey. - A very nice touch!
All in all another great holiday and one which I would recommend to those wishing to stay in a family run hotel that would not make anyone feel anonymous or isolated.
Thanks to all involved.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TourbusScotland
Swindon
Reviewed 29 May 2009

Being someone that enjoys many holidays we stayed at Sandy Lodge with David Uruquart Travel on the 15th May 2009.
From the moment the receptionist came on to the coach with details etc through to oour departure everything was found to be excellent.
It is difficult to identify any specific thing but the hotel is furnished to a very high standard with all rooms superbly decorated and spotlessly clean.Attention was exceptional as I had an elderly relative who enjoyed every minute.
Depite them having a private large function on the Friday evening every attention was given to us.
We have already booked again for September 18th and can not wait.Sadly the tour company only run occasionaly from Swindon otherwise we would go sooner
A hotel not to be missed!!!!!! Very many thanks.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank SwindonHolidaymad
merchjulie
Reviewed 16 April 2009

Great Food, Freiendly Staff. Rooms have slitly dated 80's decor, layout is same as most seaside hotels and rooms are very clean. Hotel is a 10 min walk from the town and 5 min walk to the train station. Also the restuarant manager looks like a dead ringer for Kevin Spacey.

• Stayed April 2008, travelled with family