Sandy Lodge Hotel
Bay Beresford Hotel(Newquay)(Great Value!)
US$70
US$48
Priceline
  • Pool
  • Beachfront
Hotel Sunnyside Newquay(Newquay)(Great Value!)
US$66
  • Bar/Lounge
US$197
Best Western Hotel Bristol(Newquay)(Great Value!)
US$78
US$75
Priceline
US$56
Travelodge
  • Beachfront
US$80
PremierInn.com
All reviewsdavid urquhartmajestic tourssweet tableself drivecoach triptesco expressbreakfast was buffet stylesmall gymturkey and tinselthe dining room staffevening entertainmenttea and coffeebudget hotelplenty of hot waterwalk in showertown centreweekend break
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 26 May 2010

That bad that we decided to leave without sleeping in there

We have booked this place though lastminute.com and have checked the reviews and photos prior to reservation. As it was meant to be just for one night, we weren’t looking for a 5* accommodation and were fully aware that a lodge is of a lower standard than a hotel but this didn’t bother us.

That was meant to be a beginning to our great Cornwall weekend. We have travelled for 5 hours from Oxfordshire and when we eventually arrived at the Lodge, there was no one at the reception. We were met by a strange odour and that kind of music playing in the lobby that your gran would enjoy while line-dancing (first impression counts).

We have been waiting for someone to turn up at the reception for a good 5 minutes, in the meantime we have tried finding another member of staff but there was no one in the vicinity and the place looked abandoned (except for an odd pensioner here and there). After a while and an agonising wait a coach with more pensioners have pulled up and about 30 of them strolled into the reception area. We were all waiting and unable to check in / get room keys. Eventually a young receptionist turned up and greeted everyone with a friendly ‘’Who’s first?’’ – amazing!! My partner and I said we have been here waiting for a while and for someone to turn up as we have a reservation and would like to check in, instead of an apology we heard ‘’well I’m alone here and there are things to be done at the back of the hotel’’! Coming from a catering background myself (I used to worked as a front of house manager in a hotel), I could not believe my ears! I was absolutely shocked with the rudeness of the receptionist!

We were given a form to fill in and a room key and a very brief description of how to the room. No information on the parking, breakfast or check out times – these we had to ask for and got a snazzy reply! Having taken the key we have attempted finding the room, which turned out to be more difficult than we thought. It was on a second floor somewhere in the middle of the lodge and the narrow corridors with no clear indications of where the room could be, didn’t make it easy to find. Eventually we have found a room 222 with a scrapped door and a door knob hanging loosely, by that time my partner was already agitated with the whole experience. We got into the room and I could not believe my eyes – hostels provide better accommodation than what we have been given at the Sandy Lodge!
The room was tiny; every piece of furniture was in an appalling condition, not matching and filthy. You could see human hair on the carpet – can’t even imagine when the room was last cleaned, it was disgusting! No duvet, just a blanket and 2 pillows. There was a small ‘’terrace’’ if you can call it that way, which overlooked the courtyard with some broken plastic furniture here and there. Windows were filthy and the entire room just stank!

It was just unimaginable to stay there!

We have been passing some other rooms on the same floor and some of the doors were open with guests coming in and out and we could briefly see that the standard was a lot better. I do not know whether we have been given, what seemed like the worse room in the lodge, because the remark we have made about having to wait for the receptionist or was it because we have booked through lastminute? I know that some places allocate lastminute guests in the second standard accommodation but what we have been given is beyond shameful!

The management of the Lodge should seriously consider a refurbishment and getting a new receptionist!

We have decided not to stay at the Lodge and went to the reception to inform ever so helpful young lady who in fact seemed pleased that we were not staying. When I have told her that unfortunately we will not be staying overnight, she didn’t even bother to ask as to why, if there was a problem with a room or if there was anything she could do to help – she simply didn’t care.

We have lost the money for the stay but I do not regret leaving that dump! We have managed to get a sea view room at the Best Western Hotel just around the corner for twice the price of the Sandy Lodge accommodation but at least we had a pleasant stay, clean room, comfortable beds and friendly staff.

If you ever think of staying at Sandy Lodge – please, please DO NOT DO IT!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank J0Fln
Reviewed 28 April 2010

Stayed 3 nights. Location is a bit out of town but easy to walk and probably quieter. Nice room, good food, good swim. Staff seemed friendly. Even had a balcony! Tesco Express very close by. Nice walks overlooking the sea very close by. The owner's son even came onto the coach and said goodbye to us. Close to Eden Project.

• Stayed: April 2010
Reviewed 8 February 2010

my wife and i stayed here for a week in august 2009 and had no complaints whatever, the meals were excellent, the room was great, the staff were friendly, all in all we had a great holiday here, well done the sandy lodge.

• Stayed: August 2009
1  Thank boaz64
Reviewed 11 January 2010

we stayed here a couple ov years ago and found it lovely ,our room was lovely the food was excellant and the hotel in general was superb we will be returning this year excellent place to stay give it a go xx

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 December 2009

Only stayed for one night as our wartime re enacting group had an evening party there.
I personally found the staff very helpfull and pleasent given they were under a lot of stress due to numbers staying at the time, 10 out of ten. Rooms: Having read other reviews I must say that This is not the Paris hilton but for the cost is very clean and very very acceptable 9 out of ten. There will always be the odd problem operating a hotel if you are unlucky enough to be on the receiving end but you have to be fair and accept that things do happen( ever had a flat tyre?), but sayin that our stay was trouble free and most enjoyable. Well done staff, thank you for a good time. (food brill by the way, compliments to the chef.)

• Stayed: December 2009