“Great value for money.”

Ranked #23 of 37 Hotels in Newquay
Camberley, United Kingdom
“Great value for money.”
Reviewed 20 July 2010

I had to tink about writing this review. There was good and a little bad. The hotel is mainly for coaching holidays so of course the age group tends to be older although there was a groupf of men early 30s. I am a man aged 38 who likes peace and quiet and good lively pubs. I found both. Anyway, the hotel. I paid £140 for 4 nights dinner, bed and breakfast. It was amazing value for money. I am vegetarian and so had to have a special meal every night. The chef put some very expensive London restaurants to shame to feed me. You could argue I was the only vegetarian in the place but, they made the effort thats what counts. A bottle of house red £10, cant be bad. The only bad thing was noise in the room if people outside in the corridor were noisy, but having said that I had a small room. It had a double bed, tv, kettle, hot shower etc, was cleaned every day and tea, coffee replenished. Ok its not 4 star but for the sort of money you will pay its adequate.
5 mins from the town centre and beaches. You get what you pay for, and there you certainly got your moneys worth.
I nearly didnt go after reading some reviews, I am very glad I did now.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled solo
3 Thank MartinFuller

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
England
Reviewed 18 July 2010

My friends and I stayed at Sandy Lodge from Friday to Sunday and feel this is an extremely well run establishment that cannot be faulted. The staff were friendly and polite and always made time for us. The manager even greeted us on arrival.
The rooms were spacious and fairly modern.
The Breakfast included a choice of full english or continental and the evening meal was also very nice.
Newquay town centre is about a ten minute walk away and the beach is on the door step
There is a good size indoor pool with jacuzzi and sauna.
Evening entertainment is provided by the hotel, which we thoroughly enjoyed before heading into town.
This hotel is excellent value for money and we would definately visit again.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank Summers81
wolverhampton
Reviewed 18 July 2010

I recently stayed at Sandy Lodge for a weekend with friends. The Hotel was clean, the staff were friendly and the service we received was first class. The food was good which included breakfast and evening meal, with a good choice including starters, mains and sweets. I had chance to use the leisure facilities including the swimming pool, jacuzzi and gym. The location was ideal as it was a short walk to the beach and likewise to the night life meaning when we did eventually sleep we were not kept awake by music and the hussle and bussle of the thriving clubs and pubs. We thouroughly enjoyed the break and would not hesitate returning.

• Stayed July 2010
1 Thank dib5788
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 July 2010

We stayed at the Sand Lodge Hotel for a weekend in July. The hotel has a great locatioin with super friedly staff who go out of their way to ensure you have a quality break. The food is plentiful and of a high standard. Could't fault the place and particularly enjoyed the Jaccuzi.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
England
Reviewed 11 July 2010

we stayed over the 6 weeks holiday and it was the best ever hotel!!! when we went we had lovely staff and the most comfy room ! to be honest i could have stayed forever!!! I love going to cornwall and have been going for 10 years (not to sandy lodge) but honestly out of all the hotels we've been too i recomend sandy lodge is one of the best! i have made lots of new friends (including the staff who are very nice!) and i wish that everyone who reads this can go to cornwall and visit sandy lodge hotel. Everything is just perfect!!! :-)

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
Glasgow
Reviewed 30 May 2010

We stayed for a week at the Sandy Lodge.The hotel was clean and the room adequate but the whole place requires to be decorated and refurbished.Although the breakfast was tasty with plenty of it, there could have been more variety e.g. rolls, boiled eggs, mushrooms and black pudding for a change instead of the same items every day. The dining room and cleaning staff were all friendly but I feel the staff on reception could have been friendlier and after all they are the first point of contact with the guests. Overall the entertainment was good and the location of the hotel was fine.The hotel does appear to cater for coach parties but in my opinion this is preferable to the parents with young children who appeared on our last day and allowed their children to play on the dance floor which stopped us from dancing and enjoying the entertainment.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 26 May 2010

That bad that we decided to leave without sleeping in there

We have booked this place though lastminute.com and have checked the reviews and photos prior to reservation. As it was meant to be just for one night, we weren’t looking for a 5* accommodation and were fully aware that a lodge is of a lower standard than a hotel but this didn’t bother us.

That was meant to be a beginning to our great Cornwall weekend. We have travelled for 5 hours from Oxfordshire and when we eventually arrived at the Lodge, there was no one at the reception. We were met by a strange odour and that kind of music playing in the lobby that your gran would enjoy while line-dancing (first impression counts).

We have been waiting for someone to turn up at the reception for a good 5 minutes, in the meantime we have tried finding another member of staff but there was no one in the vicinity and the place looked abandoned (except for an odd pensioner here and there). After a while and an agonising wait a coach with more pensioners have pulled up and about 30 of them strolled into the reception area. We were all waiting and unable to check in / get room keys. Eventually a young receptionist turned up and greeted everyone with a friendly ‘’Who’s first?’’ – amazing!! My partner and I said we have been here waiting for a while and for someone to turn up as we have a reservation and would like to check in, instead of an apology we heard ‘’well I’m alone here and there are things to be done at the back of the hotel’’! Coming from a catering background myself (I used to worked as a front of house manager in a hotel), I could not believe my ears! I was absolutely shocked with the rudeness of the receptionist!

We were given a form to fill in and a room key and a very brief description of how to the room. No information on the parking, breakfast or check out times – these we had to ask for and got a snazzy reply! Having taken the key we have attempted finding the room, which turned out to be more difficult than we thought. It was on a second floor somewhere in the middle of the lodge and the narrow corridors with no clear indications of where the room could be, didn’t make it easy to find. Eventually we have found a room 222 with a scrapped door and a door knob hanging loosely, by that time my partner was already agitated with the whole experience. We got into the room and I could not believe my eyes – hostels provide better accommodation than what we have been given at the Sandy Lodge!
The room was tiny; every piece of furniture was in an appalling condition, not matching and filthy. You could see human hair on the carpet – can’t even imagine when the room was last cleaned, it was disgusting! No duvet, just a blanket and 2 pillows. There was a small ‘’terrace’’ if you can call it that way, which overlooked the courtyard with some broken plastic furniture here and there. Windows were filthy and the entire room just stank!

It was just unimaginable to stay there!

We have been passing some other rooms on the same floor and some of the doors were open with guests coming in and out and we could briefly see that the standard was a lot better. I do not know whether we have been given, what seemed like the worse room in the lodge, because the remark we have made about having to wait for the receptionist or was it because we have booked through lastminute? I know that some places allocate lastminute guests in the second standard accommodation but what we have been given is beyond shameful!

The management of the Lodge should seriously consider a refurbishment and getting a new receptionist!

We have decided not to stay at the Lodge and went to the reception to inform ever so helpful young lady who in fact seemed pleased that we were not staying. When I have told her that unfortunately we will not be staying overnight, she didn’t even bother to ask as to why, if there was a problem with a room or if there was anything she could do to help – she simply didn’t care.

We have lost the money for the stay but I do not regret leaving that dump! We have managed to get a sea view room at the Best Western Hotel just around the corner for twice the price of the Sandy Lodge accommodation but at least we had a pleasant stay, clean room, comfortable beds and friendly staff.

If you ever think of staying at Sandy Lodge – please, please DO NOT DO IT!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple