“An excellent stay”

Ranked #12 of 38 Hotels in Newquay
Britain
“An excellent stay”
Reviewed 19 May 2013

Went to this hotel as a solo traveller ,in May 2013 , as other members of my party were in an alternate hotel along the road . Single room was hardly spacious but was clean , tidy and more than appropriate for my needs - a place to rest while enjoying an adventurous weekend . Views really are spectacular and it's well worth a 5 minute stroll after breakfast just to take in the magnificence of the beach , the bay and the surroundings .
My falling asleep with the tv on proved too much for the guests next door and they awoke me from my reverie - obviously the soundproofing either isn't up to much (or the other guests lived in a library because the tv was set below the level preset by the hotel ) . Staff were fun and welcoming even though the "C-bar" (geddit?) was always empty on my late return . Breakfast was not a belly-buster but again utterly appropriate for my needs .
The staff more than made up for the intolerance of other guests and I'd definitely stay here again .

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Conti1964

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
  • Polish first
Scotland
Reviewed 29 April 2013

Six of us stayed here for the Easter holiday. What a lovely hotel, clean, lovely helpful staff. Amazing breakfast servied piping hot. Extra coffee, tea and toast no problem. Was a lot of diffrent age groups staying. There was a wedding on the Saturday and the noise from the band was a bit loud but hey hoo it was Saturday night!! The views were magnificent. We were in Room 11 and talk about a 360 degree - visual of Fistral Bay, the Golf Course and the spires of the town all from our room. The walk to the town is about 10 minutes with small shops and cafes on the way down the road. There is a large Sainsburys where you can get your fav wine from! No problem getting a filled ice bucket from the bar.

All in all would recommend the hotel to you and the town itself is lovely (this my first visit to Newquay and Cornwall) - although like other British seaside resorts it's a little bit tired they have not given up. Lovely welcome where every you go and cornish pasties galore! We wil be back!

Room Tip: Ask for one at the front of the hotel (for the view) on the second floor not above the function room...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 27 April 2013

There is a beautiful view- I'm afraid it ends there. Poor service. Very unwelcome feeling overall from the staff. I watched the bartender tamper with a drink he was serving in an effort to disrupt the customers' mood. I saw the same bartender behave in an aggressive and abusive manner towards a customer.
Literally the most unprofessional hotel I have encountered. Due to my work I stay every week-end in a different hotel and in cities all across the world, so I rate this the worst out of nearly 1000 hotels in the past few years. Really, just shocked at how negative this hotel experience was. I have not written a review before, but then i have never had such motivation.
There are many other hotels in the area with the same view. I suggest you look elsewhere.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank UlrikePoppe
Chelmsford, UK
Reviewed 11 April 2013

We chose this Hotel for our Anniversary weekend. Location is lovely a 2 minute walk from Fistral Beach and close to town. The entrance to the hotel looks modern as does the bar/restaurant and the breakfast room, however the room we stayed in was disappointing in comparison (room 12). The room was quite small for a double but adequate for the 2 of us, the bed was a small double I'd say and the mattress could do with replacing as seemed quite uneven and lumpy although all bedding was spotlessly clean. The bathroom had a half bath with shower over, shower was fine but only a child would have managed a bath. There was quite alot of dark damp patches on the ceiling but other than that was very clean. Have to agree with other reviews on the thinness of the walls as on our second night the room next to our was occupied and you could hear every word uttered as if they were in the same room as us. Overall the room was a bit tired and in need of updating and let down the modern feel you got from front of house areas. We know there is continuing work being done after speaking to the owner. The breakfast was superb and all the staff friendly and helpful.
We would stay here again but would request a room that had already been upgraded.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that has already been modernised
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Sheffield, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 April 2013

We have been going to the carnmarth hotel for that past 7 years every New Years for 3 day . The staff is very friendly and helpful rooms are very clean and located in an excellent part of newquay overlooking firstal beach and the golf course. The breakfast is the best around and plenty of it. And the bar is very modern and friendly make u feel like part of a family not forgetting pat the security guard who sit and chats to us many a nights when we are sat in the bar. Overall I can not fault this hotel :)

• Stayed December 2012
London
Reviewed 8 April 2013

The Carnmarth hotel in Newquay is in an excellent location near Fistral beach and has one of the nicest restaurants and bar areas in that area. I have stayed here a couple of times as a solo traveler and most recently stayed in a single room. The rooms of the hotel were in upgrade when I first stayed there and I actually stayed in one of the older rooms (pre-upgrade) Whilst it was a little dated it had everything I needed and I can only imagine the new rooms are really nice. The staff are really friendly and look after guests well. Its a surfer friendly hotel with a surf school to the side but it manages to be surf friendly with a bit of class as its a hotle experience you get. The Carnmarth has a great bar area, function room at the back and a good breakfast too - so its one of my favorite places to stay in Newquay!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 April 2013

Stayed one night at this hotel in early December, hotel had nice feel to it and rooms were clean and comfortable. However, be aware that they do a lot of large functions here and when we arrived were told no food available as kitchens were overrun catering for functions.

Locations is convenient for town and Fistral beach and pleasant enough walk into town for food. Bar was lively with guests for a business Christmas party.

Room Tip: Check if any large functions on during your stay and decide if you can handle the inconvenience!
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family