“A good hotel - if you're willing to pay extra for the location!”
Review of Carnmarth Hotel

Carnmarth Hotel
Ranked #13 of 38 Hotels in Newquay
Bedfordshire
“A good hotel - if you're willing to pay extra for the location!”
Reviewed 17 June 2009

We stayed at the Carn Marth for a friend's wedding which was taking place within the hotel. The wedding was lovely, held in the breakfast room, with the reception in the bar area. There was a BBQ on the terrace and the whole day was fantastic.
I would only warn about the standard rooms, which have yet to be refurbished. For this reason I thought it a little pricey at £85 a night (seeing as we had stayed in a much nicer B&B the previous 2 nights in the centre of Newquay for over £20 cheaper!) We got a glimpse of the more expensive rooms which seemed to be refurbished to a high standard, just like the rest of the hotel. Therefore, if you can afford it, go for a more expensive room as the standard rooms are a bit of a let down when you see the rest of the hotel.
The rooms were very small but clean (apart from a rather off-putting stained duvet!) and were equipped wit a flat screen TV and coffee/tea making facilities.
Parking was an issue for us too, as there were large numbers of people for the wedding. The hotel car park only has a few spaces so we needed to park it in 2 different car parks (moving the car by 9am from one car park to another) which cost us an extra £10. The staff didn't seem to know much about the restrictions of the car parks nearby! However, I think this would only be an issue when the hotel is really busy.
The breakfast was nice and the setting of the hotel was lovely. Overall we were happy with our stay, just surprised at the cost, especially comparing it to other B&B's in the area.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Polish first
Leicester, UK
Reviewed 6 June 2009

we have just returned yesterday from a 4 night break at the hotel. my wife and stayed on a B+B basis and we booked from lastminute.com....we were in room 8 which was more than sufficient for us. I did find the bathroom a little small though...however I believe this hotel was for us to be based and to explore..i wasnt thinking of wanting to spend a long time in the bathroom !!! would have preferred if it had a little more room though !!!!
The room is situated on the 1st floor and is overlooking the front of the hotel, with some excellent views of fistral beach !!!!
during our 4 night stay, we did the following things....fistral beach, town centre, lands end, lizard point, eden project,blue reef aquarium and the japanese garden,,,this was not much for us, however the main purpose of our visit was to have a relaxing time away from the hussle and bustle of city life....
we did eat out each evening....we had a thai meal which was really nice in a restaurant in the centre, we also had an indial meal...this was based on cliff road and the restaurant was called Maharajah...it was really lovely...we sat near the window with views of the sea......if you are into your indian meals, I would strongly urge you to try this out too....they have about 5 spaces for parking and we were lucky to get to the restaurant early so we got parking straight away....
one of the issues which I wanted to confirm was about the car parking facility at the hotel.....there are a limited number of spaces available, and it is based on a 1st come 1st serve basis,...during the stay, it was only once when we could not park within the allocated spaces for the hotel...we parked about a 5 mins walk away and did not have any trouble....
bearkfast in the hotel is more than sufficient, and we found it be fill us up each morning....i would also say the staff were really friendly and helpful...when we got back each evening, and bought some drinks form the bar, the bar man / woman would speak to us about how our day had gone and also what we got up to...they are really friendly and knowledgable about the area....
we spent quite a bit of time around the fistral beach,..the walk to there is really pleasant.....one word of warning though...at present, there is some building work going on near the hotel, so if yo uare a light sleeper, you will be awake by 8am each morning...this didnt bother us.. we got up by this time anyway !!!!
sorry to have gone on for ages !!!! we had a great time, here's hoping you do too !!!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sants
staffordshire
Reviewed 31 May 2009

Firstly other reviews dont seem to be about his hotel at all!!

My partner and I got married in this hotel on the 26th of May 2009 and thought they were wonderful.

We arrived at the hotel hours before check in and the lady on reception checked us in early as the room was ready which we were very greatful for after driving 5 hours.

Hotel - The hotel itself is in a fantastic position being only metres from the beach and a short walk from town which has a mixture of things for people of all ages. The decor inside is very stylish and modern (recently refurbished i think) Having a great bar and breakfast area with a large balcony to enjoy drinks in the sun!!

Rooms - We had room number 11 which was very large and had an outside balcony but with a sort of inside balcony too!! It was very clean and tidy, much more than we ever expected!!

Staff - The staff at this hotel are so polite and helpful and made our day extra special. From the reception staff to the young man behing the bar, they were all fantasic!! Cleaning staff are very cheerful and only too happy to help. The whole family Especially Emma who was very very lovely made our stay memorable.

Food - The breakfast there was very nice and fresh with plenty of selection. Other reviews moaned about his but unless your planning to eat yorself silly then the breakfast is very sufficent. Our wedding breakfast was absolutely fantastic and all our guests loved it!!

As you can tell from my review i would definately recommend this to anyone as we thought it was amazing!!!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank gls09
Essex
Reviewed 16 January 2009

P.Green - Essex. My family stayed at the Carnmarth for 3 nights over the New Year period (2009) and had a fantastic time!
After booking direct with the hotel, we read a couple of adverse reviews on tripadvisor and were a little worried about what to expect. Luckily we ignored these reviews and enjoyed one of the best New Year breaks ever!
The staff were really helpful and friendly, the service great and the rooms clean and comfortable, Yes some of the bedrooms are still to be updated, but this does not distract from the enjoyment of the great views of Fistral beach. The hotel food was superb , with a varied menu and the hotel staff went out of their way to make us feel welcome.
We were a party of 6 with ages ranging from 18 - 50yrs and everyone thoroughly enjoyed their stay. We will definitely be going back and so will our family and friends.
Thanks again Carnmarth for a great start to 2009!

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Some bedrooms still to be updated (however, clean & comfortable)
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank OllieGEssex
london
Reviewed 6 January 2009

Just returned from a 2 night stay at the Carnmarth Hotel.
We are a group of 8 that often visit Newquay to see some old friends. We have stayed in many hotels and B & Bs over the years and I can honestly say that our stay at the Carnmarth was the best yet.
The staff were all friendly and helpful, the rooms were great. We had paid for the most expensive one with the balcony that had a wonderful view over the beach, the decor was very nice and the room very clean.
Some of our party had booked doubles or singles so between us we saw a good variety of rooms with no complaints at all. Although upon talking to one of the family I understand that some of the rooms are yet to be refurbished.
The breakfast was pleantyful with fresh fruit, cereal, fruit juices , toast and also a full english breakfast or smoked haddock if you wish.
The bar area was very up to date and very comfortable with a pool table and large flat screen tv.
I cannot understand why anyone would want to complain about the service or decor of this hotel and would highly recommend you stay here.
We shall be returning to Newquay and will most definately book to stay at the Carnmarth again.

• Liked — Great views, friendly staff, large room with balcony.
  • Disliked — nothing.
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank debzydolittle
london
Reviewed 28 September 2008

Great location and from the ground floor a lovely modern hotel. Very accommodating staff. As quite normal in the area, there isn't enough carparking. Bedroom had not benefited from makeover and was dated and tired. On the up, it was clean and had a great view. Cooked breakfast was poor (1egg, 1 bacon, 1 awful sausage, 5 tinned mushrooms and a v small spoon of beans)and the 'sausage' seemingly meatless. Stay here if you want the location and prepared to pay for it.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — contrast from downstairs to the hotel rooms
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with friends
Cobham, Surrey
Reviewed 23 August 2008

I have just returned from a couple of days break in Newquay with a friend and felt complelled to write a review the moment we got home.

Having read some of the bad reviews, I must say I was not looking forward to staying at the Carnmarth. I was expecting poor service, small rooms and was armed with my cleaning wiples as was preparing for it being dirty.

As soon as we arrived we were pleasantly suprise. The greeting from the Manager was fantastic, he was informative and efficient.

We had a twin and stayed in Room 3 (as previously mentioned on another review - not good apparently). I was preparing myself to complain and again was relieved that it wasnt as bad as we had expected. Grated, room 3 isnt the largest of rooms and I would recommed you shower rather than bath unless you are under 5ft...but having said that it was really very clean - me being me I checked behind the sink, around and under taps, behind beds and inspected the linen and there genuinely nothing we could complain about.

The beds were very comfortable, the showers were lovely and hot, the room was a great temperature and there was no distubance - despite it being a bank holiday weekend and we were posititioned near the stairs.

The Bar Staff were great, the Reception Staff were fabulous - they recommended a great place in town (for over 30's), which more than met our needs and as for the breakfast....The service was great, the staff were friendly and the food was fab!

Between my friend and I, we travel to hotels at least 20 times a year (for business and pleasure) and therefore have experienced top 5 star hotels and the worst of the B&B's and if we were happy, I am confident you will be too. If I would give advice to those that are concerned about having a small room - please request a larger one at booking and I am sure that your requests will be accomodated.

We would most definatley recommend the Carnmarth and its so very close to Fistral Beach, the golf course, the centre (we walked from the station in heels with our suitcases) and all the great restaurants we would not hesitate in staying there again.

I think its very reasonably priced compared to other hotels in the area. A lot better than a small B&B's, its doesnt claim to be the Headlands Hotel (the higher priced hotel on the same road) but you dont pay Headland Hotel prices.

I think the Carnmarth has has a bad ride on Tripadvisor and think it isnt justified!

• Liked — Staff
  • Disliked — BAth on small side but I prefer showers anyway - so not major concern
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with friends