“Almost Excellent”

Fistral Beach Hotel and Spa
Ranked #3 of 37 Hotels in Newquay
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 16 July 2013

Booked this hotel at short notice at what we thought was a reasonable price. The hotel is in a fantastic location, with stunning views across Fistral Beach. We travelled down on July 9th, and stayed until the 12th. The hot and sunny weather, and relative lack of crowds (pre school holidays) worked in our favour.

The rooms were spotlessly clean (and remained so throughout our stay), so hats off to the cleaning staff, and we were met by friendly staff at check in. So far, so good.

We unpacked, changed and went straight to the beach, access to which was about a 5 minute walk, and down some steps.

The first night was very hot, and as our room had no air-con, we had to leave the windows open.
Unfortunately the room was at the back of the hotel, and after struggling to get to sleep, we were awoken by a couple having a screaming match at about 3.00am in the apartments behind the hotel. These looked like a self-catering block, and full of youngsters on a post exam party.

At 5.00am were awoken again by the kitchen staff crashing around. They too had their skylights open due to the heat, and were preparing for breakfast. At this point we gave up and made tea, from the admittedly well stocked tea tray.

The screaming match did not reoccur during the next 2 nights, but the kitchen battle continued each morning.

I find it hard to criticise the hotel for this, and frankly this was our only real complaint. We had breakfast every day, partly out of curiosity as to what all the noise was all about, and it was excellent, with very good and attentive service.

We did not have dinner in the restaurant, but the menu looked good and there was a 20% discount voucher in the welcome pack. We chose to go into town and try somewhere different.

I had a back treatment in the Spa, and my wife had her nails done, and we were very pleased with the service and friendliness of all of the staff.

As the title states, my recommendation is to try for a room at the front. It is bound to be quieter, and cooler from the sea breezes, but I understand can be expensive, especially those with a balcony).

We mentioned this to the staff at check-out, and they said that they could have offered us a fan if we had asked, although I'm not sure whether this would have made much difference in this heat.

All in all, we both agreed that we would stay again, but not in the back of the hotel.

Room Tip: Try and book a room at the front of the hotel.
1  Thank Michael G

Reviewed 16 July 2013

My wife and I had an evening meal from the a la carte menu in the Fistral Beach Hotel resturant a couple of nights ago.We live locally and often eat in various hotels and resturants in the area.I have to say that the food was really fabulous.The presentation was excellent and the taste was amazing.It rates as one of the finest meals we have had anywhere in the area and I would wholeheartedly recommend it holidaymakers and locals alike.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Fistral_Beach_Hotel, General Manager at Fistral Beach Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2013

Thank you Trolly15 for your review. Your lovely comments have been passed onto the head chef. If you are ever short of something to do on a Thursday night remember we do our steak nights. Two 10oz rump steaks and a bottle of wine for £25. We also have live music every Friday afternoon in the Bay Bar. Hope you will pop in a see us again soon.

Reviewed 16 July 2013

Fantastic Hotel, Friendly Staff, lovely food, will definitely stop there again!! Hotel was very clean and staff always on hand to help. Had lovely meals there in both the bar and restaurant. Room had an amazing sea view and was very clean throughout.

Room Tip: room 119 beautiful sea view
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you Sarah C, it is great to read you had such a good time staying with us. Just remember you are now part of our loyalty club so on any return visit you will receive 10% discount plus lots of little extras.

Reviewed 15 July 2013

So, the good bits :
The location - perched above Fistral Beach, with glorious views along the coast
Smiley, happy, English-speaking staff
A great, well-run restaurant
The 'not-so-goods' :
The quality of the sausages at breakfast!
The hot-cold shower experience
No air-con (in our room, at least)
Our lasting welcome experience "you can't park there, sir. Where can I park? Anywhere but there, sir" Not pleasant.

Room Tip: We had a standard sea view room - the view was fantastic. No air-con though
1  Thank hadleymike
Fistral_Beach_Hotel, General Manager at Fistral Beach Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2013

Thank you Hadleytmike for your review. I am pleased that there were so many things that you enjoyed about your stay. The issue with the water going from hot to cold is being looked into and we are trying to resolve it as a matter of urgency. Regarding the sausages they are sourced locally and are of very high quality, however I have passed your comments onto the head chef and the executive chef and we are monitoring our customer feedback. If you would like to discuss this or anything else regarding your stay with me further then please do not hesitate to contact me on manager@fistralbeachhotel.co.uk.

Reviewed 14 July 2013

We stayed here at the beginning of July as part of our road trip around Cornwall and surrounding area. This was the most expensive hotel we stayed in at the time and we chose it because we knew the area from previous visits and from the reviews on TA.
We booked a 'best room' which included a fantastic view over Fistral beach. The room was very nice with tea, coffee making facilities and biscuits! The bathroom was very clean although one of the shower rings was broken and never replaced during our stay. Also when we used the shower it was difficult to get it to stay at a controlled temperature it kept running very hot and the tap which controlled the temperature came off in your hand! At first we put it down to perhaps everyone using it at the same time but as it was still the same the next day we reported it to reception who said it would be fixed. Next time in the shower it ran cold for most of the time and the tap still came of in your hand! Beware if you stay in room 215 - I wonder if it is fixed yet!

We did use the pool in the spa and the Jacuzzi - both of these were very well maintained.

Breakfast was good although the first morning we came down around 9.00 and a few minutes later staff were clearing away. Breakfast finishes at 9.30 am so on other mornings we came down earlier!
We had chosen to include our evening meal in our stay and were glad we had. The food was delicious and not to be faulted. The restaurant staff were efficient as were the bar staff. The receptionists could have been more friendly, often didn't greet you when you walked through. When I made the booking by phone the receptionist asked me if it was for a special occasion and I told her it was my birthday during our stay and she said they would organise something for it, however this was never acknowledged.
We did choose to pay for a car parking space, £10 per day. At first it seemed we could just have parked in the car park but by Friday morning the car park was very busy so if you're staying at the weekend or school holidays it could be worth it if you want to secure a spot.
I really wanted to love this hotel but left feeling slightly dissapointed with it.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Sunnyshades, thank you for your review, I can assure you that all feedback both positive and negative is appreciated. Regarding the maintenance issues in your room I would like to assure you that they have been addressed. For breakfast we offer a continental buffet and then all hot items are cooked to order. Some mornings when we have large private groups in or a conference we do put on a hot buffet for them however all of hotel residents receive an a la carte style breakfast. I am sorry that you left the hotel feeling disappointed and I would very much like to opportunity to discuss this further with you, if you are happy to do so then please email me directly on manager@fistralbeachhotel.co.uk.

Reviewed 14 July 2013

We've not been to Cornwall for years and found this resort on late rooms. We couldn't fault any part of our stay. The hotel was in a perfect possision for the beach, only a 5min walk. The staff couldn't have been any more polite and friendly. The food was amazing. I'm already looking at booking another break at this hotel. To top it off, my wife thought the spar was great. I would recomend this to anyone thinking about it. 5 stars all the way.

• Stayed: July 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your views with fellow travellers, it is lovely to read that you have such a fantastic time and I hope that we can welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 12 July 2013

We got this hotel as part of a deal so I wasn't expecting anything great, we had a sea view room which was stunning with a huge open plan bathroom and the most impressive view of fistral beach.
The location is perfect with a really relaxed vibe.
All the staff we came across were friendly and really helpful. The evening meals in the resaurant were included in our stay and I'm so glad we ate there as the food was gorgeous - well done fistral beach you've got it sorted :)

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Fistral_Beach_Hotel, General Manager at Fistral Beach Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2013

Thank you martinandnina for your review, I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and we hope to see you again in the future.

Becky Higginson

Also consider these accommodations in or near Newquay
The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay
The Carlyon Bay
The Carlyon Bay
#1 of 9 in St Austell
Legacy Hotel Victoria - Newquay

Been to Fistral Beach Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!