“Did not live up to expectations”

Fistral Beach Hotel and Spa
Ranked #3 of 37 Hotels in Newquay
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 2 January 2014 via mobile

Positives :
- Great views from the room

Negatives :
- staff at the check in very focused on making sure they got the pre authorisation from my credit card. When that didn't go through first time, was rudely told I had to make sure I came back within an hour to try again. The fault was their machine not my card or bank
- Christmas on 12 Nov. The hotel was running Christmas themed vacations primarily for the elderly when we arrived. Bearing in mind we check in on 12 Nov, we found it out of keeping with a 4 star hotel to have Christmas music belting out in their restaurant and staff in Christmas hats at that time of the year.
- Lift - the hotel has one small lift which means extended waiting times before you can actually get in it as it was often full.

I won't return to the hotel. The hotel charges four star prices and delivers a classless service.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Camber74
Fistral_Beach_Hotel, General Manager at Fistral Beach Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2014

Dear Camber74

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry that we did not live up to your expectations. I would firstly like to assure you that the comments regarding the reception you got on arrival have been addressed, and I would like to offer my sincere apologise for this. In response to your comments regarding the Christmas decorations and the music I am sorry that this was off putting to you, this is the first time that we have received any negative feedback in relation to the time of year that the decorations are put up however as I mentioned to yourself that we will monitor this for the future.

Reviewed 2 January 2014

Having spent a night at the Fistral Beach, I am amazed at the good reviews on here, my experience was very different indeed.

Firstly, the good points. The room and public areas were clean, everything in the room worked.

But I deliberately got the most expensive room, at £150 per night (which really is a lot in depressed seaside town out of season) and it was tiny, barely bigger than the (admittedly large) double bed.

The staff are willing, but are clearly let down by very poor training. If you ask the reception desk any questions, instead of just answering they pull out the terms and conditions small print to prove their point. I could understand them doing that after three or four adversarial exchanges, but doing it in response to your first question is demeaning and rude.

When we arrived, our room wasn't ready, and wouldn't be for an hour (out come the terms and conditions as we are told) so we went to get a light lunch in the bar. It took 25 minutes even to be able to place an order even after two or three reminders, then another 35 minutes to deliver, so we had been in there for an hour, and we only got the food eventually when a senior manager stepped in. We were given free drinks, but the waiter told us proudly that the kitchens would pay, because they were letting everyone down.

I think the thing that summed the place up best, though, was at breakfast, where I asked for coffee. It hadn't arrived after 25 minutes, and I had to leave for a meeting. I was only half out of the chair before a waitress was checking that I had signed the bill. So there is no service to get you what you want, but the moment they thought that they might not get their money, they were there, in my face.

Also, I paid an extra £20 to keep my room until 2pm, so I could have a shower and a bit of a ziz before flying home and, despite the Do Not Disturb sign, housekeeping still woke me up, banging on the door.

I could go on, but the point is made. The staff want to be helpful and friendly, but they don't have basic hotel skills training. The place needs decent middle management to do the training, and decent senior management to point out that the hotel is partly about service, not just a money making sausage machine.

I simply don't recognise the place from the reviews on here! Obviously experiences vary, but the problems I witnessed seemed pretty ingrained.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank TimothyNathan38

Dear Mr Nathan

Thank you for your feedback, all feedback both positive and negative is appreciated.I am sorry that your experience did not live up to your expectations.

I can assure you that staff training is highly important to myself and to the company, we invest a large amount of resources into training internally and externally. I am sorry that your experience with us was not to the high standards we portray here and I can assure you that I will be investigating into your comments and taking action were necessary.

I only wish you had chosen to speak to myself or another member of the management team during your stay as we would have like the opportunity to resolve any issues for you prior to departure.

Reviewed 2 January 2014

We have just returned from 3 fantastic nights including New Years Eve and Wow what a superb Hotel this is. We have been holidaying around Cornwall for many a year but this Hotel is number 1 for us. The views from the sea view rooms are AMAZING, the rooms themselves are spacious and very clean. We used the Spa facilities which were excellent and the food, well the diet starts now! Staff are all extremely helpful and friendly. NYE night was special with a 007 themed Casino party were we were totally spoiled. A huge thank you to all the staff for making our New Year break so delightful. We will be returning!

Room Tip: Sea Veiw are the best, however the standard rooms are still very nice.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Fistral_Beach_Hotel, General Manager at Fistral Beach Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2014

Dear Peter S

Thank you for your review. I am pleased you choose to stay with us to see the New Year in and I am glad you enjoyed yourself so much. We all thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and we are looking forward to next years! We hope you will re visit us in the future.

Reviewed 31 December 2013

We have just returned from a three day break at the Fistral Beach Hotel and are really pleased that we choose this Hotel. Firstly the views of the bay and the waves crashing in on the shore are spectacular so I would recommend booking a sea view room to make the most of your stay.The thing that most impresses you about this Hotel is the staff and their enthusiasm to try and give their guests a first class service, they are so polite, friendly and helpful and nothing ever appears to be to much of a problem. All the food was of a high standard and presented well.

The Spa facility was of a high quality and my wife and I both enjoyed our aromatherapy massage. We are planning to return in the next couple of months and will not hesitate to book back in/

Room Tip: Book a sea view room
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Fistral_Beach_Hotel, General Manager at Fistral Beach Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2014

Dear BenhamParty

Thank you for your review, I am thrilled that you enjoyed your break with us. It will be a great pleasure to welcome you back so soon, we look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 30 December 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here on 29th and 30th Dec 2013. It was our 1st visit to this hotel.
We booked an inclusive deal which included a balcony sea view room, (room 315) a full body massage in the spa treatment area, 3 course a la carte evening meal and breakfast.
The staff at the check in desk set the standard for customer care and this exceptionally high standard was maintained by all staff in all areas of the hotel. Without a single exception, ALL staff were extremely helpful and friendly. Nothing was too much trouble and always with a smile.

Room was modern, very well equipped and immaculately clean. ( with an amazing view of Fistral beach ) - Then we set off for our spa massage treatment where we were met by some of the spa team who were once again fabulously accommodating, they explained the procedure fully to us and led us to the relaxation area prior to our massage treatment - this once again was carried out by extremely friendly, caring and professional staff where my wife and I enjoyed a fantastically relaxing treatment.
Next up was our evening meal, where the friendly, helpful and attentive staff theme continued, food was top notch, all courses were cooked and / or presented to an exceptionally high standard and with the setting of the wonderful view of Fistral beach from all tables the experience was absolutely fabulous.

We then enjoyed a few drinks in the lounge bar area, once again "that view" dominated, and the staff as always were extremely friendly and accommodating.
Breakfast once again was faultless ( attentive and friendly staff) generous choice of continental breakfast foods, fruits, yoghurts, fruit juices etc and a very impressive cooked menu.
Words are hard to find that adequately describe our overall experience of our 1st visit to this hotel.
There was only one negative - that our break had to end !!!
Thank you Fistral Bay Hotel and staff for a truly memorable break -- we will return.

• Stayed: December 2013

Dear Kevandjue

Thank you so much for your review. I am so pleased that you enjoyed staying with us so much. I hope that we have the pleasure in welcoming you back in the near future, just remember to let us know you have stayed before as you are now part of our loyalty scheme. This entitles you to lots of special offers and discounts.

Reviewed 30 December 2013

I wanted to book my husband a special night for his 40th birthday and after LOTS of looking around at reviews of other local hotels I chose Fistral Beach Hotel & Spa. Even though I didn't know anyone who had been here, and therefore I was a little apprehensive, we weren't disappointed at all! The staff were very attentive and friendly from the first moment I contacted them - even before I had actually booked my spa package with them! They were lovely & very accommodating from start to finish! Once we arrived, we actually felt like we were welcomed guests in the hotel and not just strangers who happened to be staying there - all employee's smiled and said hello to us as they were passing, even if we weren't asking for their help. Attention given to us in the restaurant was impossible to fault and the food was amazing. Our lovely, spacious, up to date sea-view room came as part of our package (and a very good package it was too!) and the spa treatments we had (included in our deal) were relaxing & attentive as the rest of our stay.
I loved the hotel and can't fault any of it, but if I had a wish list, it would be for the hotel to build an underground car park so that the sea view is uninterrupted when you sit in the restaurant in the daytime. This is not a criticism at all, just a future wish if ever there was loads of money 'spare' one day. Thank you to all of the staff for helping us have such a lovely stay.

Dear sarahs0uthc0ast

Thank you for taking the time to share you experience with others on TripAdvisor. I am pleased that you choose to spend such a special occasion with us. I agree the idea of an underground car park would be amazing and perhaps we will consider it when we have some 'spare money'. I hope that you will re visit us soon even if it is not to stay you can come a visit the spa for the day.

Reviewed 30 December 2013

Booked two economy rooms last minute at weekend, the rooms were excellent quality but obviously didn't have the sea views. However, the views from the bar are exceptional and this was a perfect place to watch the waves crashing onto the beach below. Bar staff were lovely and the food in the bar was great value Emily served us and was very friendly and chatty. The reception staff were very friendly and helpful particularly Hannah. I had an ESPA facial in the spa which was amazing such a lovely therapist and really relaxing. The pool and jacuzzi were great and we will be returning again...well done Fistral Beach

Room Tip: Economy rooms are great value but look out over the back of the hotel roof
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Dear Pollytub

Thank you for your review, I am pleased you enjoyed your last minute get away. Emily is a valued member of our team and i will make sure your comments are passed onto her.

Becky Higginson (General Manager) and The Team at Fistral Beach Hotel

Also consider these accommodations in or near Newquay
The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay
The Carlyon Bay
The Carlyon Bay
#1 of 9 in St Austell
Legacy Hotel Victoria - Newquay

Been to Fistral Beach Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!