“Great Hospitality”

Fistral Beach Hotel and Spa
Ranked #3 of 37 Hotels in Newquay
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 15 May 2014

We stayed for two nights in May 2014. Very welcoming and helpful staff. The hotel has stunning views across the bay. Both Main Menu and table d'hôte food is excellent and varied. Breakfast food varied and well presented. A well maintained, clean and tidy hotel. Thank you.

Room Tip: Overlooking the beach.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Marketingnqyhotels, Manager at Fistral Beach Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Dear Rob,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of staying with us. I hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Sophie Kelly (Social Media Manager) and the team at The Fistral Beach Hotel

There are newer reviews for Fistral Beach Hotel and Spa

Reviewed 12 May 2014 via mobile

This is second visit Views are amazing from this hotel situated high over bay. Worth paying for premium sea view balcony
Good food, freshly prepared. DB&B excellent value. Spa treatments lovely Lovely walks from hotel to gorgeous lunch venues. We will be back

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank yvonneSthomas

Dear Yvonne

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of staying with us and with others. I hope that we do have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Sophie Kelly (Social Media Manager) and the team at The Fistral Beach Hotel

Reviewed 10 May 2014

What an excellent hotel, with excellent staff, in a fantastic location.
Checked in at 14.00 by Charlie on reception. I had booked a premier room with a stunning sea view and balcony as it was my birthday treat. Paying the extra for this room was well worth it, but also the non sea view rooms are of the same standard without the view. On checking in I was advised that all my extras were already accounted for and afternoon tea would be served in the bar at 5.30 as requested. All things taken care of, so thanks to all staff.
On going up to our room I was surprised to see balloons on the bed.(Birthday gift). The room was of a good size and looked like it had been recently refurbished. Bathroom and really large, again with floor to ceiling windows, so you could be in the bath and still enjoy the stunning view. Robes, slippers and toilities also provided.
My bug bear- Tea Tray- No complaints- Plenty of tea, coffee, milk and bikkies- It was re stocked every day.
Afternoon Tea- £15 per person.
Well what can I say, except scrummy- Thanks chef for preparing a non fish one for me. The sandwiches, cakes and scones were really fresh. You pick your own tea, from a large selection and they even bring you a timer, so you know when it is weak, medium or strong. I have had afternoon tea at the Ritz in London and I must say that this one came pretty close to beating it.
Breakfast- Firstly Thanks to Marcos and Ryan for keeping the tea coming- It was appreciated.
Jason - You do a fantastic job of running the restaurant.
What I really like about breakfast is that all juices, cereal, meats, cheese and bread/toast are there for you to help yourself, but the main breakfast is cooked to order, so again really fresh. I had traditional breakfast and my partner had kippers, which he said were delicious. My breakfast was too, the sausages in particular were very tasty.
Dinner
Served in the restaurant overlooking the sea- Tables well spaced out, so you do not feel crammed in.
Extensive choice of menu- The pate was delicious as was the steak, which I had well done, so thanks chef for cooking it how I like it.
Pudding was also excellent.
Spa- Not busy on Friday, but did get busy on Saturday as there was a party of ladies staying at the hotel, but spa is big enough to accommodate this.
Iceing on the cake- Thanks to all staff including Charlie, Ryan, Marcos, Blondie(Sorry I have forgotten your name) all the bar and cleaning staff for making my birthday weekend really special.
I am hopefully coming back soon with my friend for her birthday.

Room Tip: I would book a sea view room. They have 2 different ones as they are worth the extra.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Botica1526
Fistral_Beach_Hotel, General Manager at Fistral Beach Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2014

Dear Botica

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. Firstly thank you for choosing to spend such a special occasion with us and I am pleased that you were so well looked after by the staff. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future for your friends Birthday celebrations.

Reviewed 7 May 2014

I never appreciated the fact that such a lovely place existed in the UK. Overall it was the location which enhanced the Hotel & Spa stay we had for my 35th birthday. A five hour drive from London well worth the trip. I can easily see myself coming here again.

The hotel is located at a fantastic location where you can enjoy the view and take very scenic walks down the cliffs. The golf course is located right next to the beach. It was so refreshing taking a early morning walk beside the cliffs and take in that fresh sea breeze.

HOTEL
The hotel looked slightly ageing from the outside but once inside, feels a much more modern place. All the staff was extremely friendly and was courteous all the way through. We had a top floor balcony room which had the beach view. The room itself is not that big at all however the bathroom was spacious with a huge free standing bath tub to just lie in and relax. You can even enjoy the view while taking a bath as it is situated right next to a large patio door facing the beach.

The overall cleanliness is very good but in certain areas of the hotel (fair to say areas that you wouldn't normally go to anyway) were not so but that did not bother neither of us at all.

SPA
The Spa is not very big however it was well designed and had a new look feel to it. The treatments was fine but nothing special to shout out about compared to the treatments we had in other Spas but it was the overall facility that was nice. Nice swimming pool and Sauna/Steam areas with changing facilities right next to the pool.

Restaurant (Dinner/Breakfast)
Food looked beautiful and the breakfast was very nice, nothing to fault there especially when we had a package which entitled us to a 3 course dinner and we can choose practically anything from the menu regardless of the pricing. Again the staff was friendly but I would say the manager (Matthew) was too friendly for his own good which led to fair bit of delay when the restaurant got very busy. Either his staff was very new or he wanted a personal touch on every table or maybe he just had poor delegation skills?? no idea but he was killing himself by tending to every table with the meet and greet, menu explanation, bringing/clearing the plates, handling the bill etc etc! It looked like his waiters had a cushy job! hahah...good intentions but it did lead to some delays (eg it took about 25mins to get the bill from asking) but again, that did not bother us too much.

Final conclusion
Would I stay here again? With those views and the competitive costs and location....Yes I think I can see myself staying here again.

Room Tip: TIP: Do yourself a favour and pay the extra cost to get a beach facing room (even better a balcony r...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank X-Cile

Dear X-Cile

Thank you for your review. All feedback both positive and negative is appreciated. I am pleased that overall you enjoyed yourself and that you would return in the future.

Reviewed 6 May 2014 via mobile

Managed to bag a deal on this lovely hotel. Included £100 towards bar and spa bill. Amazing views over the bay during one of the biggest storms the area has seen. Restaurant was decent, breakfasts excellent. Could easily get into the habit of afternoon swims in the spa pool. Went there for a quiet break, hoping for a place to relax and would not have needed to leave the hotel all weekend if we had wanted that. Might return next year

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank Paul K

Dear Paul K

Thank you for taking the time to share you experience of staying with us with others on trip advisor. I hope that we do have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

I chose the hotel because of the swimming pool, and the fact that I like a decent swim. I was a solo traveller away on business. I was made to feel really welcome, and the staff were exceptionally friendly without being too intrusive. They can not do enough for you. The sea view was amazing. I only had bar meals because I was alone, but the quality of the food was not disappointing. I was not drawn to the restaurant. It did not look as welcoming as the rest of the place, but that is just a personal opinion. I might have felt differently if I was not alone. The place is decorated to a high standard and is exceptionally clean. I shall be returning in July for leisure next time.

Room Tip: I was upgraded for free. I was lucky.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank rosiegibs

Dear Rosie Gibs

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. It is great to read that you enjoyed yourself so much (even thought you were working) and we look forward to welcoming you back in July for a more relaxing break.

Reviewed 4 May 2014

just returned from a night at this fantastic hotel - beautiful rooms and lovely spa area. my husband had a massage and said he can't wait to return for another one! The evening meal was exceptional and the breakfast was varied. All the staff made you feel at home and I particulary like the use of spa products in the toilet areas and the fact that the staff couldn't do enough for you, we will definitely recommend this to our friends and will be back soon

Room Tip: sea view for preference
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Wayhey

Thank you for your review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay so much and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Becky Higginson (General Manager) and the team at The Fistral Beach Hotel

Also consider these accommodations in or near Newquay
The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay
The Carlyon Bay
The Carlyon Bay
#1 of 9 in St Austell
Legacy Hotel Victoria - Newquay

Been to Fistral Beach Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!