“Well Pleased”

GreenLeadersSilver level
england
“Well Pleased”
Reviewed 28 June 2014

We arrived in a coach party on 22/06/14 and were very impressed with the hotel from the start.
The check in was very quick and the staff were friendly,we stayed in room 104 with full view of Fistral Beach.The room was immaculate as was the rest of the hotel.
We stayed for 5 nights,the food was good with a choice of menu which changed every night.
Overall a very good hotel which we would use again

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
LukeBall, General Manager at Fistral Beach Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 28 June 2014
Dear BikerEngland

Many thanks for your kind review, we are so pleased to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay. Our head housekeeper, Agnes, is particularly pleased to read the room described as immaculate!

We do hope you will choose to stay at the Fistral Beach Hotel again, and we look forward to welcoming you.

Luke and the team at Fistral Beach Hotel & Spa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (618)
Broulee, Australia
Reviewed 28 June 2014

First, the view. It is superb. The seaview rooms overlook all of Fistral Beach and regardless of the weather the outlook is fabulous. Unfortunately....but then, our problems were largely a matter of taste. I rate it at 2 hangers.
We booked the Fistral suite, billed as "the rock star room" and while I'm no rock star I thought it wise to go for the very best. The suite's outlook IS terrific, no doubt about that. It also has a hot tub..well, it has a large room with an even larger hot tub in it: yes, you could have a couple of rock bands swimming around in here, provided they could climb over the high sides (and didn't mind sitting in the same water used by the previous group and groupies). From our perspective it was an unnecessary waste of space in a room that could have been used for many other things, but as I said, it's a matter of taste. The suite did have a separate toilet (good addition: all hotels should have them...makes life a lot easier for a couple getting ready to leave early in the morning) but, contrary to my expectations, the shower was over the bath. Not so good, especially as the side walls of the bath were quite high, and the bath floor threatened to be slippery. When we entered the room it was unbearably hot: no air conditioning. Not good. Yes, the seafront rooms all have balconies, and I guess we could have left the doors open for natural aircon, but when I saw the seabirds soaring just outside our windows, nice though that was, leaving the doors open didn't seem a very good idea. The closet was obviously provided for those who didn't intend to wear much on their seaside holiday, and as it shared the space with a small refrigerator the interior space was rather hot, to say the least, so rather than risk incinerating our wardrobe I pulled the plug on the fridge.
The room was basically nice, but a little overcrowded for our taste, but the view...fabulous.
The view from the downstairs restaurant was pretty good too, with a sunset that went close to rivalling Santorini's. Unfortunately the food left a bit to be desired. On night one I tried their famous sardines only to find the sardines were off and instead they served Dory, which I feared might have been pretty close to off also, though it was probably just overcooked as we survived the night.The next night a steak, which was an improvement. Breakfast ok, but no loose tea! When did the English stop making tea properly???
I must admit the staff were anxious to help, offering to change our room when we pointed out we wanted a walk in shower separate from the bath (unfortunately the alternative didn't have a separate 'loo so we decided to put pragmatism ahead of the easy entry shower); brought us a fan to make up for no air conditioning (made a lot of noise but didn't move the air much) and, on night three, provided a rubber mat for the bath.
Conclusion: The view is fantastic, so if you do go, pick a seaview room. Although we weren't overly impressed with the restaurant, most of the other diners seemed happy with it (except for the night when a man on the next table expressed concern about the slug in his salad...I was going to ask if I could have one too but P talked me out of it). Pity a few small(and some large) things spoilt the overall experience for us, but others may well rave about it.

Room Tip: Make sure you get one with a seaview,...but be careful leaving your door open or you might go to bed...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Russell S
Dear Russell S

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel. As you say there is no doubt the view is terrific but we do aim to be more than just a room with a view.

The hot tub in the Fistral Suite is pretty huge as you suggest and it sits in the window next to the balcony so you can enjoy the vista across the bay. We only occasionally have actual rock stars staying at the hotel but no matter who is staying in the Fistral suite I can assure you that we empty, clean and refill the hot tub between each stay. We have also recently fitted some steps to the hot tub to assist getting in and out.

I am sorry that you didn't get excited about our food - I can assure you though that we would not have served you 'off' fish. The John Dory that night was brought in fresh as our fishmonger was unable to supply the sardines.

We do served bagged tea as standard with our breakfast but we also have a delicious range of loose leaf teas to choose from, sorry if you were not offered these, but they are listed on the breakfast menu.

I am glad to hear that the staff were anxious to help, they are all great, and I hope that overall you enjoyed your stay. Should you wish to return please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Luke Ball
Weston-super-Mare, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Booked this spa break as a surprise for my daughter Mollie and her best friend Beth.

They had a wonderful break from start to finish; reception was smooth and quick they even allowed checking in early as they had a Full body massage booked in the spa, the service & treatment was superb, finished of by relaxing in soft robes/slippers and cocktail perfect

The room was a very good standard view of sea was great, large balcony; beds were comfy, bathroom very large with bath & shower, nice little touch’s box choclates on bed & free Wi-Fi, a mini fridge in room would be a good touch.

evening 3 course meal was good but slow on service 30 min between courses as it was busy could improve on this, but overall very good, cocktails at bar were wonderful.

the spa break was very relaxing and would recommend anyone to try as a special break

Room Tip: Sea View Rooms are the Best
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank sje1961
Dear sje1961

Thanks for the great review. We are all so pleased that Mollie and Beth had a fabulous time, it was a real pleasure having them stay with us.

We look forward to seeing them again - maybe they will let you come along too next time!

Plymouth, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 June 2014

My husband and I booked here to celebrate our 25th anniversary. The food when you got it was great as was the view, but all the little things added up to make this a disappointing and unhappy experience, such as, broken toilet seat, dusty towel rail and cupboard handles, dirty and stained valence sheet, having to run around after staff to pay for a meal, having to wait 20 minutes for a drink whilst the barman served three other people, not having our restaurant booking after booking it on the phone and when we arrived, no salt/pepper on at least 3 different tables, used toiletries in the bathroom, having to ask 3 different people to take your order, and being left waiting for an answer to a question which never came, were just some of the little things to would make us never go here again. Even when they were made aware we had problems and said there we looking forward to speaking to me, this still hasn't happened two months later. You have been warned!

Room Tip: Anything that's clean would help
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Tina M
LukeBall, General Manager at Fistral Beach Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Dear Tina M

I'm so sorry to read about your disappointing experience. I am also sorry that nobody has been back in touch to address your concerns.

I have recently arrived at Fistral Beach Hotel and Spa and we pride ourselves on giving great customer service, so it is very distressing to read that we had let so many little details slip.

I would be most grateful for the opportunity to discuss your feedback with you and would appreciate it if you would drop me an email with your contact details on it.

manager@fistralbeachhotel.co.uk

Many thanks

Luke Ball
Reviewed 25 June 2014

I recently bought one of the couples retreat packages for me and my girlfriend to help celebrate her birthday and her amazing uni results! I had a picture in my head when I looked into it and it delivered at every step of the way. The room was amazing, the good was beautiful and the views incredible; all in all the experience couldn't be faulted!
My girlfriend really enjoyed the spa treatments, and even though they're not for me I appreciated how professional and personable our therapists were.
The only other thing I have to say is a massive thank you to Katie in the reception team. She talked me through every uncertainty I had when I initially booked, sent me off a special gift wrapped pack so that I could give my girlfriend something on her birthday and was exceptional from start to finish. I'm a manager in front of house myself, and all too often people don't do the little extra things which is crazy as they're the face of the business! And all too often they don't get the recognition deserved.. Anybody in management at the Fistral hotel and spa is lucky to have her as a member of their team.
Thank you to everyone who made our time their special.

• Stayed June 2014
LukeBall, General Manager at Fistral Beach Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Dear Dan

I'm so happy to hear that you and your girlfriend had such an amazing stay with us. We are indeed very lucky to have Katie as part of our reception team - in fact we have recently promoted her in recognition of her outstanding customer service skills. She has read your review and is now grinning from ear to ear!

Thanks very much for posting such a lovely review and we all look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

Luke and the team at Fistral Beach Hotel
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2014

We love this hotel and have stayed on a few occasions. We cannot fault the hotel, especially this time as we were Up-graded to a sea view with a balcony! and complementary chocolates!
We especially enjoy the Spa treatments. We had a Full body Massage and a Facial, Mireya was excellent, very professional and informative. Cant fault the hotel and Spa. Thanks again to the excellent staff. Another great visit!!

Room Tip: room with sea view and balcony......its a must!!!!!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
LukeBall, General Manager at Fistral Beach Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Dear Jane

Thanks for your great review.

We will always do what we can to upgrade returning guests and I'm very happy that you loved your sea view room.

We are lucky to have such a great spa facility here but it is the staff that make all the difference - I will be sure to pass your feedback onto Mireya.

Thanks once again and I look forward to welcoming you back.

Ackworth
Reviewed 23 June 2014

We have just stayed at this wonderful hotel. All the staff were so friendly, the room was beautiful view and the food was delicious. Both myself and my Husband throughly enjoyed our stay and the spa treatments we had were fabulous. Thanks you so much for such a lovely stay. We can't wait to return.

Room Tip: Choose a sea view room, well worth it!
Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear SJE808

Thanks for the lovely review.

I am so pleased you had a lovely stay and can't wait until we are able to welcome you back!

Luke and the team at Fistral Beach Hotel & Spa
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newquay
The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay
The Carlyon Bay
The Carlyon Bay
#1 of 9 in St Austell
Legacy Hotel Victoria - Newquay

Been to Fistral Beach Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!