“Could'nt ask for a better place to stay in Newquay”
Review of Hotel Carlton

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Newquay
Hotel Carlton
Ranked #7 of 106 Newquay B&B and Inns
Reviewed 26 May 2010

My partner and I have just returned from a 4 night stay at the Carlton Hotel, Newquay (it was supposed to be 3 night but we extended due to fabulous weather!) and I have to say that it is probably one of the best hotels we have ever stayed in. The service was excellent, the food was delicious and it really felt like a home-from-home. The hotel itself was absolutely spotless and Debbie's knowledge and advice on where to go and what to do was spot on. She recommended some great places to visit as well as some really excellent restaurants both in and out of town. The little touches in the room, such as the 'make-up towel' really made you feel at home and I am sure that should we come to find ourselves in Newquay again in the future, we will without doubt be giving Debbie a call.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 11 May 2010

very helpful on booking we booked very last minute but nothing was too much trouble. on arrival we were made to feel very welcome, a beautiful hotel restored by the owners with victorian charm but with modern touches. the bed was comfortable and the bedding crisp and fresh. the room was clean and had a fantastic view. breakfast was plentiful and cooked to perfection. definately would go back as a great base for exploring cornwall

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 May 2010

I stayed in this hotel over a weekend in April. The hotel was clean, well spotless really and I understand its been recently refurbished.
The room is of a high standard, the furnishings were of a good quality and the hosts are very friendly. Its at the top of a very steep hill over –looking a golf course and a public car park.
I think I paid 75 pounds plus 2 pounds car parking per night which is fine, the breakfast was good.
However i’m not sure id ever go back to this hotel, while it was lovely the landlady came across as very controlling.

Examples of this is the notes left around the property. They are not exact but you get the idea “Please do not bring hot food into your room as it could smell”, “please do not use hair dye in the shower as it can stain the grout” and something like “please do not have any guests in your room at anytime”. I mean they are all very sensible ideas but I want to relax and I found i could not encase I broke a rule and got kicked out. Another example of this is offering to carry a suitcase up the stairs so there was no damage to the walls.
There is an honesty bar till 11 and a bar run till 9 by the proprietors, however in the honestly bar i’m sure there is a cctv camera in the room.

I had a good experience there but i could not relax there, I wish the owners just took a step back and relaxed as it would be a very special place then.

i should also say that they cater for surfers and will wash your gear should you leave it in a box for them (which i thought was a nice touch).

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank le1ther
carissa03, Owner at Hotel Carlton, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2010

We thank you for your comments and although you did enjoy your stay and found the hotel very comfortable, we have taken all your feedback very seriously.
No hotel likes to display polite notices, we only have 2 and nothing would be nicer than to be able to remove them, but unfortunately if we are experiencing a problem that would affect other guests or the comfort of the next arriving guest, we have to try and politely minimise the problem.
As for myself and Mark, we are always available to welcome guests and suitcases are carried to your room as part of our service ,we are also available to give information on places to visit and things to see as well as restaurant recommendations and bookings, we feel we give all our guests a high level of service and apologise if this was seen as been controlling.
Our CCTV is purely for hotel security

Reviewed 30 October 2009

We stayed at the Carlton for 2 nights close to the end of the season and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The hotel has been lovingly refurbished over the past few years by Debbie & Mark. They are, deservedly, very proud of the results of their efforts. By running the hotel and doing all the work by themselves they ensure that the quality of the environment and the service remains top drawer.

The hotels interior is beautiful. There is a wonderful ambience about this place with its subtle lighting and classy decoration. I was happy to simply while away a couple of hours in the sitting room with my book.

The service we received from the moment we phoned to make the reservation to the time we made our farewells was faultless. The room was superb - the bed was comfy, the TV was a great size and the towels felt as though they were brand new such was their softness!

I don't part with my money easily and hate doing so if I feel I've not received good value. The Carlton was not cheap (to my wallet) but I never felt for one second that it wasn't worth it and that is not something that I've been able to say for the vast majority of hotels I've stayed in. I left feeling very happy and content with my decision to stay at this hotel.

We'll be back!
Thank you Debbie and Mark.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 September 2009

Stayed for a couple of nights in August & really enjoyed the stay. Hotel is very well located, 5/10 mins max walk down to town. Having never stayed in a small family run hotel like this before I was really impressed with the level of service. Debbie & Mark really go out of their way to make sure everything is perfect!

Room was a bit small but was really well presented & spotless. Breakfast was lovely each morning, plenty of choice from the cold platter & then whatever hot you had chosen the day before is freshly made. Some mightn't like the restricted time of 8.30 - 9 only for breakfast but it really is a good incentive to get up & out to explore! The terrace bar is lovely too for a pre-dinner drink & a great place to meet other guests.

Would recommend this hotel with no hesitation & look forward to going back

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 September 2009

v nice hotel. also, very quiet, which is what i was after, as myself and my husband were looking for a few days of total peace and relaxation. breakfast is lovely experience and the rooms are very well kitted - only thing i would say is that myself and my husband are quite tall, and the beds aren't the biggest, but this is only a minor point. overall it was a very enjoyable stay. i would definitely recommend this hotel and i will more than likely be back next summer!

Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 August 2009

The Carlton Hotel in Newquay, really is a 4 star hotel in every way, the accommodation is first class, as is the service, the facilities and the décor. The owners Debbie and Mark, are very professional and could not be more helpful, everything is spotlessly clean, the food is excellent, and the dining room is everything you would expect from a 4 star Hotel.
There is a car park immediately next to the Hotel, which Debbie can arrange for £1 a day, the location of the Hotel is in a very good position with views overlooking either the golf course, sea, or both, there are 5 beaches to choose from within close proximity and the Hotel is just the right distance away from the hustle and bustle of the activities of the town centre There are numerous restaurants within easy reach of the Hotel, and Debbie and Mark have even compiled, and made available a list of eating places that have been recommended by patrons of the Hotel.

To run a Hotel to this high standard must be a “labour of love” for Debbie and Mark and it shows in everything they do, I would not hesitate in recommending the Carlton for a really enjoyable stay, and look forward to returning in the near future.

A small but individual Hotel with “A touch of class”

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple