“Fantastic Place”

Ranked #9 of 105 Newquay B&B and Inns
Bristol
“Fantastic Place”
Reviewed 14 June 2009

Great hotel with stunning views. Brian & Sue will make you very welcome. Lovely rooms and comfortable bar/lounge area. Spacious conservatory setting with great sea views for breakfast - and what a breakfast, you probably won't require lunch!
Hotel is at the top of Lusty Glaze Bay and just 10-15 minutes walk along the cliff tops into Newquay. Easy access to shops and plenty of good places within easy walking distance for evening meals.
Highly recommended.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 June 2009

Kallacliff Hotel is a great haven away from the town. The sea-facing rooms overlook a beautiful bay and you can see as far as Padstow down the coast. There is some lovely attention to detail in the rooms and there are adequate provisions for hot drinks. While the rooms are very clean our bed was a bit of a relic and I found it quite uncomfortable, not to mention squeaky.
Breakfast was amazing and consisted of exotic fruit, cereals and a beautiful cooked breakfast.
The owners are very friendly and helpful. Other than the uncomfortable bed, the one thing that needs to be addressed is the list of house rules and polite notices which appear around the hotel and guest rooms. It makes me think that the owners have had bad experiences in the past but I'm not sure that it is really necessary to tell guests that they will be asked to leave (without a refund) if they bring food into the guest rooms.
All in all a nice stay.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank zippyfan
South Yorkshire
Reviewed 24 May 2009

Very plush clean rooms in a great location overlooking the sea, helpful and knowledgable owners. Big breakfasts in a spacious conversatory area. Newquay town centre is a short walk (about 10-15mins) across open parkland/ cliff area.

• Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 9 May 2009

My partner and I thoroughly enjoyed our 3 night stay at the Kallacliff Hotel. We had a lovely large room which had everything we needed in it, including a large plasma T.V and freeview. The Kallacliff hotel location is brilliant, hosting amazing views over the sea. Located in a quiet area of town, it had a nice quiet feel, but yet was only a short walk into town. Brian and Susan run a great service, providing a delicious breakfast each morning in the sunny dining room looking over the sea. Would thoroughly recommend.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Luke024
West Yorkshire
Reviewed 7 May 2009

We picked this hotel because it was rated as the top B&B in Newquay, and I have to say it did not disappoint, on arrival we were greeted by the owner who we found to be very informative on places to visit, the hotel and nearby restaurants, we took his advise one night and went to Cullens in the town centre and it was fantastic.

The location of the hotel couldnt have been better and the views of the sunset were amazing, equally having breakfast over looking the sea sat in the hotels conservatory was again stunning.

I would highly recommend booking the sea room view (we couldnt unfortunately due to availability) that aside our room had a decanter of Sherry and chocolates waiting for us on arrival, and the tea, coffee, hot chocolate, biscuits and chocolate bars were filled up daily. They even made up our room whilst we were having breakfast (these guys are obviously very organised)

Hotel has adequate parking but I would imagine in the height of the season parking might be a problem. There are no internet facilities which is one of the things that let the hotel down.

The hotel is just a short walk from Lusty Glaze Beach (we named it cardiac cliffs as there are 135 back breaking steps to go down and then back up again, yes we counted them)

We would highly recommend visiting Padstow and the lower beach there was just purely amazing, didnt look like something in this country. Lands End and the Minark Theatre are a must too.

Things to avoid is the town centre, it was full of lager louts on stag weekends.

All in all a great base to explore cornwall, we would definately visit Kallacliff again.

• Stayed May 2009
Liverpool
Reviewed 21 April 2009

My fiancé David and I stayed at the Kallacliff from April 17th to 20th. We chose the B&B from Trip Advisor as we were looking for B&Bs in Newquay and since this was the no1 we had to look it up. I wanted a room with a sea view. Why go to a coast resort if not for the sea views? This hotel offered a room with a sea view but at a slightly increased cost, but I was willing to pay the extra for the view. :)

I must admit that I had a little trepidation after reading the ‘disappointed’ review on here after I had booked and I got a little nervous that my ideal get away wasn’t going to be so ideal. I needn’t have worried. When we arrived at the Kallacliff at 4pm a little earlier than I had expected, as the six hours drive from Liverpool which should have been fraught with traffic jams around Birmingham, was as a smooth a ride south as I could imagined, we were met by the proprietors Brian and Sue whom luckily had arrived at the same time as we, (if we had been any earlier we would have been waiting outside the B&B) But their check in time was 4pm so it all worked out well.

Brian showed David and I to the rooms, we had a selection of the sea view rooms to choose from, either the balcony one which looked nice or the one I had booked, room no9 which had the four windows looking from east and west. We were happy with room no9! which was pretty large, housing a roomy double bed and also a single bed which became my harbour for all my guide books from the days out we took. The room had a hospitality tray with coffee, tea and biscuits, a comfy chair and a lovely flat screen TV which had Freeview.

The Kallacliff is situated just outside the busy town of Newquay, which during the weekend gets rowdy as there are many clubs and bars. To get to the town centre is about 20 minutes walk, depending on how fast you walk. There is a nice pitch and put area sort of like a small park just a stones throw from the B&B where David and I walked to see a bit of the coast towards Tolcarne Beach, Crigga Rocks and Lusty Glaze Beach.

The weather was glorious for us. I noticed on the drive down from Liverpool that the country was shrouded in a low grey cloud but once we crossed over the boarder towards Cornwall the clouds parted and the sun shone! David and I made the most of our first night in Newquay, by leaving our luggage in the room and taking a stroll to Lusty Glaze beach and the headland overlooking it called Greensplat. We never managed to walk to Trevelgue Head, but there were always people walking on there looking out towards Whipsiderry Beach.

Newquay is central to may places of interest in this part of Cornwall. David and I apart from visiting Newquay Zoo to see the Red Pandas also visited Tintagel, (where I got horribly sun burnt! NB: to self, must remember to take sun cream next time!). We visited St. Austell, Charlestown and St Marwes (where we tried to escape the cloud on Saturday afternoon and luckily found the sun). We also drove past Eden, visited Bodmin Moor, got lost around Pentire Point and loved the views of Bedruthan Steps. There is so much to see and do in the area and even venturing further, St Ives, Lands End, Truro and the Lizard are all within doable driving ranges.

David and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay in the Kallacliff, Newquay. Brain and Sue are welcoming and yet let you come and go whenever it pleases you. The room was always cleaned and turned over once a day and the breakfast room has lovely views across the Atlantic, out towards Newquay and Trevose Head. Other guests seemed to comment positively on the cooked breakfasts, as David and I are not breakfast sort of people, Brian was courteously enough to leave us be with our cereal and cups of coffee and tea. :)

The sunsets in Newquay as seen over the numerous beaches are a glorious sight and I’d recommend the restaurant at the Watermark hotel if you like welcoming staff and lovely views over Porth Beach. Lusty Glaze Beach has a bar and grill as well as Tolcarne. In fact most of the beaches have restaurants.

Overall David and I really enjoyed our weekend stay at Kallacliff, the room was warm, comfortable and like a home from home. If I had to mention a bad point it would be that there wasn’t any hand wash in the bathroom, and David mentioned that the complimentary Ferrero Roche was a tad stale but other than that, we will take home with us fond memories of our first trip to Cornwall and hopefully visit again in the near future. :)

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank christine_lucas
London
Reviewed 5 April 2009

After the fantastic reviews that have been posted I was very excited to book into Kallacliff Hotel. We were told we could have our requested one nights stay - although they usually do not take bookings for one nights. However, I was told that a Standard Room was not available, but I could have a room with a view for approximately £10 more.
When we realised we were one of two couples staying in the 9 bedroom hotel, I felt rather cheated as had assumed that it was full (my mistake) and would have preferred an explanation. What's more, the other couple were right next door and we could hear everything; tele/coughing/walking/taps running etc.
The worst thing about this is that 3 linking floorboards made an awful racket when they were walked upon and we really thought that next door were banging on the wall. Until we realised it was the floor boards, we spent the whole evening whispering and having our tele nearly mute as we were scared of the confrontation of our mental neighbour.
We were also put off by the amount of typed up notices stuck around the hotel and in the room. The main door was nearly covered in "Do Not/Polite Notice" signs and the wall of the room had plenty too. It was a little unwelcoming and may have been better to have one page of which included the rules of the house.
We also had to share one pack of biscuits and had a very limited amount of T-bags (just two) - which I thought was a little mean.
However, they do offer a small decanter of sherry and two chocolates in the room which was a plus point and it is out of the Town Centre and near a beautiful bay.
I hope that the owners can find these comments useful.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank McCallumLondon
Kallacliff, owner at Kallacliff Hotel, responded to this review, 15 April 2009
We are so sorry that you feel your stay with us was disappointing. We would of done our upmost to make it more acceptable if you had spoken to us direct.

In response to the polite notices we are actually in progress of changing them. They are not there to cause offense or upset merely just to help us maintain our high standard of rooms.

We value any comments that are placed on here and take every one seriously.