“Wonderful Accommodations and Perfect Hosts”
Review of Glencree House

Glencree House
Ranked #3 of 81 Penzance B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Vancouver Island, Canada
“Wonderful Accommodations and Perfect Hosts”
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Glencree House is truly a wonderful B&B accommodation and Andrew & Lynsey are the perfect hosts. Located on a quiet, residential side street, Glencree house is within walking distance to restaurants, local attractions and bus stops. Parking is located on the street on a "first come, first served" basis and may be an issue for late evening arrival, however, we were always able to find a spot close by.

The accommodations are well appointed, spotlessly clean and very comfortable. Our room had a cosy seating area where we could enjoy our morning coffee or an evening glass of wine. It was such a pleasure to return to our B&B to find the luxury treats (chocolates, biscuits and really good in-room coffee and tea) left in our room each day.

The en-suite bathroom was a little cramped, but served its purpose. (Bear in mind, these houses are well over 100 years old and never had 'modern conveniences' to begin with, so we were happy enough to have an en-suit.)

Andrew's cooked-to-order breakfasts are becoming legendary - simply the best breakfasts we had during our month-long holiday in the UK. In addition, there was plenty of fresh fruit, fresh juices and lots of health choices.

Andrew was very helpful and knowledgeable of the Cornwall area. In addition to his recommendations, the breakfast room / lounge has a wide selection of guide books, Ordinance Maps and information needed to help make the best of our visit.

All in all, Glencree House represents excellent value for the money and a very pleasant place to stay while visiting the Penzance area. Thank you Andrew & Lynsey for making this a memorable holiday.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Freedom55Traveller

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
  • Polish first
Spokane, Washington
Reviewed 4 July 2014

What a wonderful experience! We felt more than welcome and absolutely loved this place. We chose to utilize train and bus travel while in Great Britain -- and knowing that, Andrew ahead of time emailed us various websites with public transportation schedules. When we arrived at Glencree House, he gave us area maps, told us about great places to eat, and helped us plan our days. We also loved the breakfast choices! Glencree House was for us, perfect! - Mary Kunkel, Spokane, WA, USA

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Our host, Andrew, made a personal connection with all of his guests. He learned everyone's name who was staying at Glencree House, and helped with the personal details of our trip. The room was comfortable and walking distance to everything needed. A really pleasant visit.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Plano, Texas
Reviewed 2 July 2014

This B&B is amazing. Nice proximity to the promenade, but not too close! Comfortable beds and cozy digs. Mouth-watering breakfasts and cooked to your tummy size!! Andrew and Lynsey offered helpful advice and options for day trips. All in all, I highly recommend this place if you have a stopover in Penzance. I'm definitely coming back here.

Room Tip: We had the larger room since we had our 6 yr old with us and it worked great. Close those blackout b...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Aylesbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Outstanding in virtually every way...that's my simple summary.

This was the second night of my road trip around Cornwall and having read previous reviews I was looking forward to a relaxing night at this B&B after lots of walking & sightseeing...I was not to be disappointed at all.

I shall quickly mention the downsides as there are so few:- the internet signal in my room was poor (but this was mentioned to me on arrival), the shower room was a little cramped and I guess a shame when there isn't a bath in the room, but not an issue, and the fact that I was only staying one night as this B&B was so superb!

Now all the good points:-
My room was a fairly decent size and immaculately clean.
I had a distant sea view which was an unexpected bonus. The location is quiet but within walking distance of the town centre.
The room itself was comfortable, quirkily decorated and had a nice bed and big window view to the sea.
Andrew was a superb host, from making recommendations of where to eat, what places to visit along the south coast of Cornwall, guide books and maps I could borrow from the lounge, as well as simply being so very friendly and genuine. Lynsey was also lovely but I only got to see her when I was paying the bill and leaving which was a shame but she did have a baby to look after!
The breakfast was probably the best I've had in any B&B - not only was the quality of the ingredients great, but Andrew was more than obliging when I suggested I didn't want bacon or mushrooms and he promptly swapped them for more eggs and sausages...I've rarely had such a huge breakfast but I triumphed over it as it was so good! I also loved the fact that while they cooked your breakfast to order, you could toast your own bread in a toaster in the pleasant and airy breakfast room/lounge as well as help yourself to juices etc...a simple thing, but it meant I could have as much toast as I wanted and when I wanted it & how I wanted it toasted!
There is a wealth of guide books, novels, maps and board games in the lounge for guest use too, a very nice touch.

I think that's possibly enough superlatives for one B&B...aside from getting an internet hub or booster that works through thick stone walls, I can't really fault this wonderful establishment.

This is exactly what epitomises a B&B and everything that is good about British hospitality (as run by an Ozzie ironically)!

Oh, and one final thing, albeit out of season, very good value too given the quality of the room, food and service.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Sunnyvale, California, United States
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Lovely B&B in Penzance. Great food and modern accommodations in an historic house. Family run with great knowledge of Cornwall places, hikes, etc. Close to all the activities, but quiet when one needs sleep/rest.

Room Tip: Various rooms available, so if you have a preference (basic, luxury, etc.) let Andrew/Lynsey know...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Although we only had time to stay for 2 nights – it as well worth it. From arrival to checkout it was nothing but a pleasant experience. Andrew and Lynsey are excellent hosts – suggesting all sorts of sights to see based on our timing and desires. The rooms are very comfortable, bright and airy, with plenty of space (and the coffee/tea and biscuits in the room are a nice added touch). Breakfast was fantastic. The house is an easy walk to the promenade where there is a host of pubs and restaurants, and not much further to the center of town. We would definitely recommend the Glencree to others. Thank you Andrew and Lynsey for helping to make our trip memorable!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends