“Great last minute stay”

YMCA Cornwall International House
Cape Town, South Africa
“Great last minute stay”
Reviewed 11 August 2013

I booked this hostel on a last minute trip to Cornwell recently. Luckily they still had rooms available even though it was high season. The staff are very friendly and helpful and gave me a twin room for single use as it was a last minute booking.

The hostel was very clean and there was no queue for the bathroom and shower facilities even though they were fully booked.
The price even included a basic breakfast of juice, coffee/tea, cereal and toast.

The hostel is about a 20 min fast walk from the station, but if you arrive late at night, its probably easier to get a cab for £4. There are also busses that run from the Railway station to a stop close to the hostel.

I can fully recommend this hostel and will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank LizJou
Linzi C, Manager at YMCA Cornwall International House, responded to this review, 16 September 2013
Many thanks for your Trip Advisor review! We were very pleased to accommodate you the best we could throughout your stay and glad that everything was to your liking. If you ever wish to visit Cornwall again, please dont hesitate to give us a call. Happy Travels!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 11 April 2013

Stayed two nights in April in a twin room. The room was a good size, clean, bright and airy, with large windows. Beds while on the soft side were okay, with clean sheets. Heater worked well. They had just fixed a new shower system the day we arrived and on our first night our showers alternated between scalding hot and cold water. Also, showers/hot water are limited to 10 minutes. Showers on the second night were better once we figured out how to use them. There is a free simple breakfast selection of cornflakes, Weetabix, bread with butter and jam, milk, orange juice. Staff were friendly and helpful. There was a bit of noise on our first night due to some other guests (or was it residents?) that made it hard to sleep, but that couldn't be helped I suppose. The hostel is a 10-minute walk from Penzance town centre, 15 minutes (with a section uphill) from the train and bus stations, so possibly a little inconvenient. But there is a bus stop right outside the hostel where you can get the bus to Mousehole in one direction and to Penzance town centre in the other. Buses to Land's End stop along a nearby road too. Overall a decent place to stay in.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Many thanks for your kind review. We are pleased to hear that the problem with the showers was rectified by your second night, they were as you say newly fitted so teething problems were to be expected. I am also glad to hear you got a chance to explore the local area, if you are ever in our neck of the woods again, please dont hesitate to give us a call. Happy Travels!
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 24 October 2012

I booked a private room, which was still far cheaper than anything else around. It was clean and comfortable, and all the bedding was clean and fresh. Sadly, the heating seemed to go off at 11pm, and I was very cold. I had to wear some extra clothes to bed to stay warm.

The shared bathroom was fine, and I hired a towel for 50p since I didn't have one with me. This was convenient. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The free wifi was a bit dodgy on the first day, and I was warned about problems they'd been experiencing, but later it seemed to resolve itself automagically.

Breakfast is very basic, but it's budget accommodation, so I was just happy that something was provided at all.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
Linzi C, General Manager at YMCA Cornwall International House, responded to this review, 4 March 2013
Many thanks for your review, we were pleased to read that you were happy with your stay. However, if you ever experience problems with the heating again whilst you are with us, please be sure to inform reception who will be happy to over ride the system and ensure that any problems are resolved. It can be a little chilly here in Cornwall at the best of times. Happy Holidays!
Surrey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 July 2012

I spent just one night here en route to the Isles of Scilly in the middle of June, as it was the cheapest place in Penzance and closer to town than the youth hostel where I would normally have stayed. It is a bit of a walk from the station at around a mile (mostly uphill), but walking is free (unlike the bus that stops outside) and good for you, so who's complaining? As for the rooms, I booked a bunk in a dormitory and found it pretty much as I would expect, clean, comfortable and basic with shared bathrooms down the hall. There was a small self catering kitchen downstairs (if you can get the microwave to work you're doing better than me) and a lounge with TV for guests to use. I stayed on a Friday night when it is used by the local youth club, which unfortunately meant that I had to find somewhere else to sit to eat my dinner, once it had been cooked, but it was a nice evening to sit outside so this was not a big deal.

As others have said, a basic help yourself breakast of toast, jam and cereal with juice and tea/coffee is included in the price, which for those who can eat this sort of stuff is good value. Sadly as I am wheat intolerant I couldn't eat any of it. That is the one thing that I would change. I realise of course that this is budget accomodation, so you can't expect everything, but cornflakes and rice cakes are both relatively inexpensive and could be provided as an option for the large number of people what are now wheat intolerant. Still, it did give me the opportunity to discover a wonderful veggie cafe in town that does cater for such needs, so it can't all be bad. I would stay here again, but next time I will bring my own breakfast as nice as it was, I don't want to eat a fry up all the time !

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank GeysirGal
Lucy P, Manager at YMCA Cornwall International House, responded to this review, 29 August 2012
Hello,

Many thanks for your feedback. Just to let you know that due to your comments, cornflakes are now part of the breakfast selection! We hope that we will be able to accommodate all dietary requirements in the future.

Happy Holidays!
Vasto, Italy
Reviewed 18 June 2012

We booked a 6 dorm bed room for one night and It was excellent! Very good value, clean and helpful staff. Very quiet area at 8 mins walk to the city centre. I higly recommend that that if you happen to visit Cornwall!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Benedetta1990
Many thanks for your kind review, we are very happy you enjoyed your stay with us! We hope to see you again in the future! Happy Travels!
London
Reviewed 17 June 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for 3 nights this June. Rooms are well proportioned and very clean. Excellent value for a twin room. The bathrooms are shared as you'd expect but are also kept clean. Beds ok a little 'springy'. The price includes a self service breakfast of cereal, toast, juice and tea/coffee also. You have access to the lounge and a little kitchen.

The backpackers accommodation is in a seperate block (above the gymnasium) to the residents so these facilities are for guest use only.

There was some noise from 'lively' residents but this never went past 11. The walls between rooms are thin but only on one night did I have to ask neighbours to lower their volume and they did so immediately. So all in all a quiet hostel as they go.

Parking was plentiful and location is good. Easy to explore lots of West Cornwall from plus an easy walk to town. We got the bus outside one evening to Mousehole which was easy too.

The staff here are really helpful with any questions. They are not really set up for accommodating surf gear as other places in Cornwall are but they were great at being accommodating of it!

• Stayed June 2012
Hello,

Thanks for your feedback. We do seem to have a problem with storage of larger items such as surf gear, however, please dont let that deter you from bringing them. We now have a large lockable room accessable by staff and visitors with large items of luggage only in which we can keep surf boards, cycles etc.

I hope this helps in the future!
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 February 2012

great place happy staff,found a new cafe called the food shack wead a meal deal for £3

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank jason c
Also consider these accommodations in or near Penzance
Hotel Penzance
#1 of 81 in Penzance
EasyPZ Backpackers
EasyPZ Backpackers
#6 of 18 in Penzance

Been to YMCA Cornwall International House? Share your experiences!