“A real pleasure”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Turks Head

The Turks Head
Ranked #9 of 180 Restaurants in Penzance
Cuisines: Bar, European, British, Pub, Grill
Good for: Bar Scene, Cheap Eats, Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Kids, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Drinks, Brunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
“A real pleasure”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2014

Booked to have our special Valentine's meal here. Had to change the booking which was no problem despite them being busy all weekend.
I have gluten/wheat free food and there was a good choice on the special menu. Dishes well cooked and beautifully presented. Good value, wide choice. Some of the best food we have eaten in Penzance.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank Julie P

Penzance, United Kingdom
“Best meal in a long time!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2014 via mobile

Me a couple of friends decided to go out for lunch and was sure where to go as we wondered thought Penzance and found this lovely pub. As we walked in we were Welcomed by friendly staff we sat down in the dinning area and not long til we ordered. I had the small fish and chips which the batter was lovely and crispy,my friends had a fish pie and the asparagus ravioli they both enjoyed.and well all shared a dessert as we were very full We had a crumble with a difference was yummy!! I have now booked a table for next mouth as it will be my birthday and as I saw advertised on the posters dinner with 3 friends and you get you Meal for free.

penzance
“Small portions, poorly cooked”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

Disappointing to say the least. All three of us ordered fish and chips, smaller size. One was gluten-free, therefore without batter. I would guess that they were all cut out of a single medium sized fillet. Never mind smaller portion, they should have been described as tiny, child size each one was so small. Also, the batter was awful, accounted for a more than the fish and was soggy too. Chips were good, crushed peas were OK tartare sauce probably out of a jar. The fact that the non gluten-free meals were served on a wooden board, with chips in a sort of sieve and peas in another separate dish was pretentious and unnecessary. The gluten-free option was served in a straightforward way on a plate. Did I mention that I was unhappy at the time - yes I did. The reason we were eating out was because the day was an unhappy anniversary and we wanted to be 'elsewhere'. I was footing the bill and did not want to raise our disappointment with the waitress - who didn't ask us if everything was alright anyway- in front of my two companions. I waited until I paid the bill at the bar and mentioned it then. Not much reaction other than telling me how good their new chef is and what high standards he has. Well not on that night he didn't and he needs a lesson on how to fry fish. There are several other restaurants in and around Penzance, it would not be appropriate to mention them here, where I have enjoyed far superior fish and chips, more generous portions and at a similar or even lower price. I will choose one of them next time I want to eat out and have fish and chips, which should be of the highest quality in this particular part of the country. There are enough good restaurants and other pubs in and around Penzance for me to decide not to chance eating here again.

Visited February 2014
4 Thank Maureen E
Penzance, England, United Kingdom
“Not as good as it used to be”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2014

I was very disappointed with the food. On past visits (of which there have been many) it was always good pub food with generous portions but tonight although it was tasty it was cold, very meager portions and served on unsuitable crockery. On leaving I saw a notice saying they had a new Chef which explains the radical change in the food served. I will not be going back again

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank DeniseB773
turkshead40, Owner at The Turks Head, responded to this review, 20 February 2014
Dear Sir
Many thanks for your review.
Firstly I can only apologise the crockery was not to your liking, I guess thats down to personal taste.
You say the portions are perhaps not as large as your used too, that could be down to the particular dish you ordered, on occasion some dishes can look large compared to others.
There's many a time I go out and look at what my wife's ordered and wish I had ordered that.
I am pleased you say that the food was tasty if perhaps not the size you might have liked!!
My main concern is you say your food was cold, this is not acceptable and I do have to ask why you would sit there and not say something, you did not give us any chance to deal with your issue.
It is not our intent to ruin your night out, we don't look at our customers and think we will spoil their evening we only want all our customers to have a great experience.
We welcome constructive criticism.
You are indeed correct we do have a new chef, with impeccable qualifications and fantastic experience and nearly all the feedback we have had has been excellent.
It is a shame you feel you won't be back but if you can't speak up about an issue you might have but prefer to hide behind a monitor like a keyboard warrior then its perhaps best you don't return.
My advice would be that anywhere you go in the future, and you have an issue, that you perhaps speak up and give them the chance to put your issue right.
It says a lot more about a restaurant or pub as to how they deal with problems and issues.
regards
proprietor
Penzance, United Kingdom
“Biggest disappointment over priced”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2014

Ive been wanting to visit here for food for a long time, we ordered the mariners pie and i had the homemade chicken burger. The menu stated the ingredients of the fish pie to be quite luxurious, crab,smoked fish etc, burger was made to sound exciting and big as was to be served in tiger bap with homemade wedges, Well the disappointment upon it arriving on the table, i could not believe how small the portion were, my partners pie was tiny, with hardly any fish and especially smallest amount of potato, it was not even presented well, for £14 i would expect more, my burger was presented well, gastro style but my tiger bap had been cut smaller using a cake cutter and my burger was the size of a small biscuit, needless to say we were both left feeling very deflated and hungry. I can understand if the meals were posh hence the size but it was just pretty shoddy, in my local paper the chef has got the title masterchef which is laughable. I will state what we did have had good flavour but just not enough. I didnt feel i could complain upon paying bill as other people were eating in the bar and i didnt feel i complaint would be welcomed especially as it was sent out by the head chef, i own a local hotel on the seafront and certainly will not be recommended here..over priced,small portions at a low level

Visited January 2014
3 Thank Cornishbird88
Dear Sir
Many thanks for your review?
We are sorry your evening was not how you hoped.
Firstly the size of portions , the fish pie is served in the same dish it has always been served in for many years.
If there was an issue with size perhaps mentioning this at the time could have rectified this for you and not go on to spoil your evening .
The burger is served differently and yes thats down to the new chef.
You do mention you enjoyed what you ate, it was just not perhaps the size you would have preferred!!
You go on to be a little nasty in your comments about the new chef we have here.
The chef comes with impeccable qualifications and experience and is finding his feet and yes he did indeed reach the last 6 (semis) out of 10,000 on master chef.
(it almost feels like you have a grudge).and nearly all the comments we have had, have been great.
We have been here for over 10 years and have a great reputation and do take exception to your use of the word "shoddy" I think the main bulk of our reviews says otherwise.
Its a shame you didn't say something at the time you paid the bill, but I would say again, the time to say there was an issue, was at the table.
I am very surprised by the way you handled the issue, especially as you say you have a hotel in town, I think you would be a little disappointed if a guest slated you on Trip advisor and not given you a chance to rectify any issue they had at the time.
A lot of business is sent our way by local hotels and guest houses and we wouldn't have that if we didn't give a good level of service and food, as shown by the many reviews on here.
Perhaps you should have made your self known to us, we could not have dealt with your issue at time of payment but we could have perhaps welcomed you back to show you we are not "shoddy" and that it was just unfortunate that perhaps we had an "off night".
It is easy to hide behind a computer screen (like a keyboard warrior ).
We welcome constructive criticism.
It says a lot more about an establishment as to how they deal with peoples issues and did they enjoy the rest of the evening.
we do appreciate your review but it does come across as more pointed than constructive .
if your guests are as shortsighted as you then its probably best you don't send them to us.
regards