“The perfect hotel”
Review of The Abbey

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Penzance
The Abbey
Ranked #42 of 82 Penzance B&B and Inns
Reviewed 12 June 2013

This hotel had everything I would want - quirky but beautifully decorated rooms - each very different with interesting furniture and paintings - nothing mass produced or anodyne - and with a wonderful collection of books. In my room alone (not counting the drawing room) there were books I had to resist taking away with me. No piped music, and discrete tvs. Service was perfect, you weren't fussed over, but delicious breakfasts, and teas on the lawn were effortlessly produced. I chose it wanting somewhere lovely to relax with my father if the weather was bad - but we had wall to wall sunshine. Still it was lovely to return to after long walks.

Room Tip: top floor probably quieter - only suitable for well behaved children.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for The Abbey

Reviewed 30 May 2013

Penzance is not the prettiest Cornish town but the Abbey Hotel is certainly a pretty spot. This entire area is old and everything around it is old and with that you get some tight streets and spaces, the Abbey Hotel is in one of those areas. The decore inside is done in an old style but a quality old style - not Windsor Castle but not Fawlty Towers either (bad example as one is real and one is fictitious and I've never been in Windsor Castle and I'm only referring to the finish / décor - the staff are excellent!). We stayed in Room One and it certainly has charm and visual appeal (full of antiques and period pieces ... the rooms furnishings and finish, not us). It has the most exquisite attached garden which is small but superbly done.

Room Tip: Room One was superb
Reviewed 30 May 2013

This is our second stay here and the hotel is pretty perfect. You can't really judge it against all the normal hotel criteria because its unique: in a good way. Room 1 is luxurious with a huge bathroom overlooking the garden and the main room has a view of st micheals mount. That view changes mood and colour all through the day. Breakfast is lovely and freshly cooked with a reasonable choice including kippers and haddock. The fire was lit on Monday morning as it was a little cooler which was a lovely touch.

Reviewed 28 May 2013

My 4 night stay was very pleasant . I had room 4 view of the road but it wasn't noisy and quite comfortable for one person. Would be too small for a couple. The shower is electric and didn't ever get hot enough despite me showering at different times.

The 2 young boys running the breakfast could benefit from some extra training! Eg half grapefruit is put out but the segments have not been cut out and no spoons provided . Toast comes long before the eggs and therefor cold when the eggs arrive.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 May 2013

My wife and I decided to treat ourselves to a night at the Abbey on the way home from a holiday in West Penwith. It's a gorgeous old building in the most atmospheric part of Penzance but......on arrival at 3pm we found the door locked and the reception desk unmanned. On ringing we were eventually admitted by a friendly Asian girl whose English (although better than my Asian) was less than perfect. Questions such as "do you have a daily paper"? or "where can I park"? ( the small car park was full) all had to be referred to the "Boss" who was elsewhere and did not appear, so reception was punctuated by delays whilst answers were obtained. No mention was made of the afternoon tea which we had been promised.
After settling in we went in search of our tea. The hotel was still largely deserted but we eventually found a young man in the kitchen. He initially thought that we were after a cup of tea and offered a choice of several types. When we explained, he looked dubious but said he thought there "might be some cake left". As it was a lovely day we decided to have tea in the garden and asked if we would be disturbed by the notorious Penzance seagulls. We were assured that there would be no problems. Within minutes of sitting down to enjoy our cake we were joined with a whoosh by a seagull as big as a duck who proceeded to eat our cake himself. My wife, who is not a lover of large birds was seriously upset. It was not a good start to our stay.
Happily things got better. Our room (the Apartment) was large and comfortable. The breakfast was good and the staff we met at breakfast were professional and friendly.
Comparisons with the B&B we'd stayed at earlier in the week were inevitable.
Our B&B room was also large and comfortable with similar en suite facilities but without the more sophisticated atmosphere of the Abbey. The garden at the Abbey was beautiful but the garden at the B&B was even better and equally private (and we were not attacked by seagulls) The Abbey Apartment lacks the views from some of the other hotel rooms so the B&B which had views over the rolling Penwith hills and on to the coast was better in this respect. Our hosts at the B&B were genuinely friendly and a pleasure to talk to. At the Abbey our hosts were difficult to find. At the B&B we were greeted with a cream tea to die for. At the Abbey we had to ask for it and it was eaten by a bird! The breakfast at the Abbey was good but the B&B was better. Finally the price of the B&B was less then half of the price at the Abbey. There is no question which offered the better value.
All that sounds fairly critical so I should emphasise that we enjoyed our stay. It must be difficult for a hotel, with all its overheads, to compete with a well run B&B but from our experience, there are certainly areas where the Abbey could improve.

1  Thank Seniorvasco
Reviewed 19 May 2013 via mobile

I would be more than happy to stay at the Abbey if I needed a hotel in Penzance again. I booked the suite for my family of 4, which meant that my children could have their own room and we were still self contained so we could avoid disturbing other guests. We were welcomed with tea and beautiful cake, served in our room in lovely china. Breakfast covered everything we like to be able to choose from - cereals, fresh juice, toast, warm croissants, fruit and a menu of hot dishes made to order. The staff are all unremittingly pleasant and accommodating. Although this place is perhaps not one which a family with spirited small children would consider suitable, we all felt very welcome and were never once made to feel that the children shouldn't be there. I appreciated that. Thank you all at the Abbey.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed 14 May 2013

On our first trip to the ' Mother Land ' these two Australian travellers found themselves at Lands End after the fourth day of travelling England Staying in Bath the previous night we were recommended to the Abbey by a staff member at the Francis Hotel who was a local Penzance girl On arrival our bags were carried to our rooms tea & cake was served in the lounge How lovely !!! We had Room one which was gorgeously decorated & a fabulous large bath !!! A seaview looking out to Michaels Mount The Abbey has splendid gardens The breakfast is wonderful The staff are fantastic !! What more can I say !! Our stay will always be remembered

Room Tip: Room 1 for sure !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple