“Great hotel in central locaton”
Review of The Tarbert Hotel

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
The Tarbert Hotel
Ranked #68 of 82 Penzance B&B and Inns
Akron, Ohio
“Great hotel in central locaton”
Reviewed 9 July 2007

The Tarbert is a small hotel centrally located in Penzance offering bright, clean rooms, a quaint bar, and friendly staff. It's location allows walking to town center and most restaurants.

• Liked — location, friendliness
  • Disliked — no elevator!
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple

London
Reviewed 5 June 2007

Booked the superior room at The Tarbert Hotel. The room was big and very tidy. From the moment we arrived till we left, the owner made us feel very welcome and his customer service is beyond comparison. Definitely recommend the early morning breakfast as it is just perfect. The chef and the owner catered the taste of my very fussy father-in-law who is a vegetarian.
The location of the hotel is excellent as it is seconds away from the City centre. Will definitely stay there again.

Regards,

Abhi

• Liked — Customer service and food
  • Disliked — Television/satellite channels not working properly
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled with family
2 Thank abhi_singh
london
Reviewed 8 April 2007

I am really glad i found this hotel. I stay in penzance regularly and have struggled to find a nice hotel in the area. Some are posh but havent been cleaned since 1976. Some are nicely furnished but staffed by people who would suit a career in the prison service!
The Tarbert Hotel in penzance is different. From the minute i placed my booking i felt like my custom was appreciated. The staff are exceptional friendly and helpful. It would seem that nothing is too much trouble. One evening the owner even ironed my shirt for me (at least he said he didbut maybe hes got a little service pixie out back)!?!
The food in the restuarant is more suited to Paris than penzance, but the whole menu is great value for money and again.. The staff.... Soo good!
I will definately stay again and recommend anyone to try them out

• Liked — Staff were so good
  • Disliked — i had to come home again
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled on business
2 Thank ronjeremy191919
plymouth,england
Reviewed 22 March 2007

I have stayed here on numerous occassions over the last 2 years as I have to stay in Penzance for work. I have witnessed all the renovations made and in my opinion this is the nicest hotel I have ever had the pleasure of staying in. I always look forward to my visits here. They make you feel like one of the family. The staff are efficient & friendly and the rooms are exceptional. I would recommend this hotel to any travellers conducting either business or pleasure.

• Liked — The Ambience
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled on business
2 Thank lecko60
London
Reviewed 17 March 2007

I have just got back from a 4 night stay at this little gem of a hotel, my room was small but cozy with an excellent on suite bathroom, loved the art on the walls, gave the room a real feeling of being a guest bedroom rather then a hotel room.

The food at the Tarbert is excellent and served in a really pleasant and airy dining room just off the cozy bar area, a selection of cooked breakfast are offered in addition to the light breakfast buffet.

The staff are very friendly and welcoming, your room key also opens the front door, so you can come and go as you please day or night.

On the down side would have to say not a fan of the tropical fish tanks in the reception and dining areas or the flowery carpets in the public areas,these are very minor things and I would stay again without hesitation.

The hotel is a little gem , easy to reach from the train / bus station up a mainly residential side street, the lower end of the street looks rather commercial but generates no disturbance.

• Liked — Good Location, Excellent Food
  • Disliked — Flowery Carpets & Fish Tanks
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled solo
2 Thank omega65
London, UK
Reviewed 20 February 2007

We ended up in Penzance on a Sunday night after a long day out in Cornwall. We found the Tarbert Hotel (the only hotel name I had written down) and upon walking in, thought it may be a little pricey as it seemed quite swanky and had this wonderful tropical fish tank in the reception. But we were happily surprised by the price (£50 for a double) which was extremely good value and included breakfast too. The room was spacious and had been recently refurbished. It even had a lounge and a large widescreen TV with set top box.

The breakfast was amazing. There was a choice of cereals, fruit, yoghurt and juice to start with, and then a choice of several hot breakfasts. We had the eggs benedict (yes, quite a bit above the standard of the usual fry up breakfast) which was delicious. It was served in the adjoining restaurant which in itself is a classy establishment. We had dinner there on the night we arrived and the food was amazing. There is also a cosy bar with a fire and is a great place to sit back and enjoy a drink before or after dinner.

The staff were extremely friendly and more than helpful. It's one of the nicest hotels we've stayed at in a long time. We had just been to Padstow and paid a lot more for a room in a pub which was quite average. So we were delighted at finding this fabulous hotel.

• Liked — The value for money.
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled as a couple
5 Thank K&L07
Loughborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 February 2007

Stayed here on business whilst feeling rough as I was full of a cold. The hotel appears to have had a recent refurb which has provided it with a very modern reception and dining room, with a traditional country pub shoehorned in the middle. The bedroom whilst small had all that was needed and also suffered from the slight schizophrenic tendency. Modern duvet, bright bathroom, tasseled lampshade, 80's pine furniture. I loved it!!

The best bit about the hotel is the staff - everyone was extremely friendly and helpful, attentive yet not in your face. A real find in a British hotel!!

The other interesting place was the restaurant which provided an excellent breakfast - far exceeds most hotel breakfasts - I had eggs benedict which was great. In the evening there was a table of eight booked and one other lone diner like me. Admittedly my taste buds and appetite were not what they should be due to the cold but I had duck in ginger which was so sweet I could feel the enamel melt off my teeth as I ate. I had also been warned that the duck would be served pink (which is how I like it) It arrived overcooked. Everyone else seemed happy with their choice so perhaps it was just my tastebuds playing up. The restaurant is certailnly trying very hard to be good and I would happily give it another go.

This was a great value place to stay and I would recommend it as a great little find.

• Liked — Great staff - friendly, polite, professional
  • Disliked — Bedroom was a bit small
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled on business