“A happy accident”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 9 December 2013 via mobile

At this time of year there isn't much choice of restaurant mid week, so after my first choices turned out to be closed I went to the Alverne as a last resort. And I'm so glad I did! As we were eating early we got prime choice of seating right next to the stylish fountain. The menu looked lovely and I went for the deep fried Brie, a lovely winter warmer that didn't disappoint, and my friend had mushrooms on toast which sounds simple enough but looked and tasted lovely. For my main I had the steak with garlic butter, I thought it's a bit if a pub meal but went for it anyway, and it's the best steak I've had for years, cooked to perfection and so tender! And the dessert was the best sticky toffee I think I've ever had (as my favourite sweet treat I've had a few). All in all a fantastic evening, service was good, food fantastic and I would highly reccommend the Alverne to anyone.

Reviewed 13 November 2013

Go there...you won't regret it.

In summer sit outside and watch the world go by...have a coffee and one of the best pastries you will ever taste.

Reviewed 3 November 2013

The staff made us very welcome and the food was lovely and good value. We had a very enjoyable evening!

Reviewed 23 October 2013

We ate here prior to seeing a film at the local cinema which was around the corner and down the street. The staff were lovely and very helpful with the children. The children's menu was "typical" with burgers, fish fingers etc. however, they were happy to serve un battered fresh fish done in a pan, plus freshly cut vegetables, so, healthier options are available. I had a delicious salad, plus, a risotto with fresh crab meat, mint and peas (although i think that they used rice rather than proper risotto rice or pasta). Still very tasty! The decor was lovely with exposed rock walls and comfy sofas on offer as well as tables. Thanks for a lovely dinner, made in good time for us to catch the film.

1  Thank SDCTH
Reviewed 5 October 2013

stumbled upon this place and decided to give it a go. liked the look of the menu which was imaginative. The food itself which came quickly was exceptionally good. We hadn't intended to have a dessert, but the main was so good we wanted to to something else and were not disappointed. The place was sensitively decorated with a nice traditional atmosphere, but a modern twist. service attentive and speedy. well priced