“An unexpected pleasure”
Review of Alverne

Alverne
Ranked #28 of 181 Restaurants in Penzance
Cuisines: British, European
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Brunch, After-hours, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Newcastle
“An unexpected pleasure”
Reviewed 26 December 2013

There seems to be a theme of diners arriving at the Alverne because everywhere else is closed/full/inhospitable/exorbitantly priced/some combination of the above... and having an unexpectedly excellent meal. This was certainly our experience; a compromise swiftly turned into a real treat. The Alverne provided a warm welcome, a friendly and warm environment, and delicious starters, followed by a butternut squash risotto better than any I've tasted outside Italy, and fish dishes which were similarly appreciated. And at last I have found an establishment in Penzance which knows its way around an espresso machine. We didn't plan on visiting the Alverne, but we'll certainly be back.

• Visited December 2013

Penzance, United Kingdom
“A happy accident”
Reviewed 9 December 2013 via mobile

At this time of year there isn't much choice of restaurant mid week, so after my first choices turned out to be closed I went to the Alverne as a last resort. And I'm so glad I did! As we were eating early we got prime choice of seating right next to the stylish fountain. The menu looked lovely and I went for the deep fried Brie, a lovely winter warmer that didn't disappoint, and my friend had mushrooms on toast which sounds simple enough but looked and tasted lovely. For my main I had the steak with garlic butter, I thought it's a bit if a pub meal but went for it anyway, and it's the best steak I've had for years, cooked to perfection and so tender! And the dessert was the best sticky toffee I think I've ever had (as my favourite sweet treat I've had a few). All in all a fantastic evening, service was good, food fantastic and I would highly reccommend the Alverne to anyone.

St Buryan, United Kingdom
“First class in every way”
Reviewed 13 November 2013

Go there...you won't regret it.

In summer sit outside and watch the world go by...have a coffee and one of the best pastries you will ever taste.

• Visited November 2013
Thrapston, United Kingdom
“Great Atmosphere!”
Reviewed 3 November 2013

The staff made us very welcome and the food was lovely and good value. We had a very enjoyable evening!

• Visited September 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Handy before the cinema, good food”
Reviewed 23 October 2013 via mobile

We ate here prior to seeing a film at the local cinema which was around the corner and down the street. The staff were lovely and very helpful with the children. The children's menu was "typical" with burgers, fish fingers etc. however, they were happy to serve un battered fresh fish done in a pan, plus freshly cut vegetables, so, healthier options are available. I had a delicious salad, plus, a risotto with fresh crab meat, mint and peas (although i think that they used rice rather than proper risotto rice or pasta). Still very tasty! The decor was lovely with exposed rock walls and comfy sofas on offer as well as tables. Thanks for a lovely dinner, made in good time for us to catch the film.

Visited October 2013