“Well worth every penny”

Western Discoveries Day Tours
Ranked #3 of 7 Tours in Penzance
More attraction details
Owner description: We provide guided minibus tours of West Cornwall. They feature the most interesting and beautiful spots of the region and are a great way to learn more about this fascinating land. With a maximum of 8 passengers, tours are intimate and itineraries depend on what you would like to see, what the weather is doing and how far you would like to walk. We typically squeeze in ancient monuments, mining works, a cup of coffee and coastal scenery before running out of time. Open tours run on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, last 4 hours, cost from £35 per person and leave from Penzance and St Ives. Private tours start from £195. Call or email for details.
Reviewed 23 July 2012

I took a private 6-hour tour with Western Discoveries Day Tours last month and will continue to use their services every time I return to that part of the country. Russ really knows the area from ancient sites, geology, history, flora and fauna and even where to get the best pasty in that part of the area.

I sent him an email beforehand and told him what I was mostly interested in and he planned a schedule around it that took me to areas I wouldn't have even thought of.

As a solo traveler having to rely on public transportation to get around, sometimes it's difficult
to fit everything in, especially if you are traveling for such a short time. If I would've had to plan visiting everything we saw in that day, it would've taken me at least 5 days.

Taking a tour like this with such a fabulous tour guide as Russ is something well worth considering.

Thanks Russ! Looking forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed 7 July 2012

We are so pleased to have had the chance to tour with Russ. He initially polled those of us on the tour that day as to what our interests were, what we'd already seen, and where we'd been so far, and planned the itinerary accordingly. As it was our first full day in Cornwall, we said we'd be happy to see pretty much anything and everything. We saw a number of the well-known prehistoric sites (Merry Maidens, Lanyon Quoit, etc.), some of which involved a nice walk off the main road through farm pastures. The visit to the old Botallack tin mine was especially interesting, and Russ told us a good deal about the history of mining, and Cornish history in general. His background in geology made this part of the visit especially enlightening. We stopped part way through for a Cornish cream tea at a lovely little place where everyone seemed to know everyone else, and the scones were the best we've ever had (and the clotted cream and jam too). Aside from the sites and commentary, just being driven around and seeing the countryside was a tremendous pleasure. Russ is a great driver, as well as a great guide. We heartily recommend one of Russ's regular tours or, if you have more time and can afford it, a full day trip with Western Discoveries.

1  Thank pemquid
Reviewed 7 July 2012

My Mom and I went on a day tour with Russ...it was the highlight of the trip! What a wonderful way to see the countryside. Russ grew up in the area and is extremely knowledgable. He's also very thoughtful...the day after our tour he was taking someone out on a private tour to the village where they grew up and when he dropped us off he was driving out to make sure that the next day went without a hitch. He's also open to getting off the beaten path and seeing what you are interested in. You can't ask for more. Very easy to join the tour as it leaves from the main Train station in Penzance.

1  Thank Shauna A
Reviewed 30 June 2012

My nine-year-old daughter and I took two half-day tours from Russ, two days in a row. I can't recommend him highly enough if you find yourself on the Penwith peninsula. It is hard for me to imagine anyone of any age or creed not really liking Russ and enjoying his tours immensely. He is friendly, knowledgeable, full of a really balanced mixture of enthusiasm and common sense, and -- this is important if you are nine years old -- he picks up bugs and flowers and shows you cool tricks to do with them. He is in love with Cornwall and his job, and it shows. Having taken the train down from London, it was great to have a way to get out of St Ives and see the whole area, but I don't think, even with a car, that we would have known to go to the cool places Russ took us. Superb ... don't miss. (My husband had to miss this leg of our trip due to work, which saddened him after our rave reviews.)

1  Thank suziebeezie
Reviewed 26 June 2012

A comfortable diesel bus (taking into account the practicality of narrow one lane roads that have 2-way traffic). Russ’s 4-hour tour (extended to 5 by chatty fellow guests and Russ) explored ancient sites from stone, iron and bronze ages to Victorian era tin mines. Russ has read widely enabling him to explain (and embellish) rituals of ancient and more recent life. During the tour, we learnt a lot about the ingenuity of the Cornish whose life was as hard as the granite that makes up this area.
Russ specialises in going to places wise car-renters and the chunky tour buses don’t go to. Very relaxing to be sitting high in a minibus with someone else negotiating the 5mm gap from wing mirror clash point to granite hedge scratch point.
I would recommend you book ahead and do this trip on your first day in West Cornwall as Russ gives great tips on other sites to visit, and adapts these to your interests.
I would also recommend this even if you have a car as my husband didn’t get to see much when we were driving around because of the high ‘hedges’ and having to concentrate on the narrow roads.