“First Class Hotel”
Review of Hotel Penzance

Hotel Penzance
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Penzance
Reviewed 26 September 2013

I greatly appreciated the friendliness and enthusiasm of the staff. The room was very comfortable with spectacular views over Mount's Bay. Afternoon tea in the lounge is a particular treat. Also, for a non-car borne traveller, it is a boon to have such an excellent facility within walking distance of the rail and bus connections at Penzance Station.

Room Tip: Rooms on the East Side have the best views.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Dominic P
Kehribar, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Penzance, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2013

thank you for your positive review - we really appreciate it - and so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Looking forward to seeing you when you are next able to stay with us and do keep an eye on our website for the best deals around.
from a lovely sunny, but windy, penzance.

Reviewed 17 September 2013

For us as experienced travellers this was the worst stay anywhere in the world -at any price -for the last ten years. There are many problems - too many to enumerate -from hideously noisy dining room, through incredibly bad cooking for a very expensive dinner to semi conscious management. We shall not be staying again.

This operation believes it's own advertising and marketing. We have extensive experience in this field and our judgements are based on sound knowledge.

It is really not worth making further observations -we found that the owners already are aware of some of the issues.........................

11  Thank tony d
Reviewed 15 September 2013

We stayed for 4 nights on the second week of September. Very friendly and helpful staff. Tea and cakes served every afternoon which is a nice touch, We had a most comfortable Superior room with a great view over the harbour. As the weather was great we had a relaxing breakfast on the deck overlooking the pool and harbour. A nice restaurant serving excellent food with an "early bird" menu before 18.30. We will stay there again.

2  Thank Exescape
Kehribar, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Penzance, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2013

Hi,
We really appreciate your nice comments and are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. The 'early bird' menu is proving to be very popular especially as it also includes our menu du jour for £13.45 for a two course meal, served up until 18.30. It is an ideal option to our picnic when wanting to go out and about to explore West Penwith or if going to the Minack Theatre for the evening.
Looking forward to seeing you again.
Bye for now from a lovely sunny, but windy, Penzance.
Sue

Reviewed 11 September 2013

We stayed for four nights beginning of September. So many of positives: really helpful, lovely staff, who can't do enough to accommodate you. Rooms are spotless, comfortable and well maintained. The hotel is in a lovely location and has the most fantastic outlook, one of the best, overlooking St Michael's Mount.
During my stay I had an accident (NOT at the hotel), as such we needed to move rooms to one more accessible. Staff arranged this to no extra cost and were so helpful and kind.
The first room was cosy, but really comfortable, the second (a superior room) really lovely and spacious, with fantastic views. When I stay again I will pay extra for this room as its fabulous.
Breakfast is served in the restaurant and was delicious. The waiting staff where attentive and helpful. On our last morning I couldn't eat in the restaurant (due to an injury I had) and the staff insisted on bringing breakfast to me in my room, which was lovely.
The pool area is spotless and there is complimentary tea, coffee and cakes served in the lounge in the afternoon, which is a nice gesture.
The staff work really hard to ensure guests are well looked after and this really is a lovely hotel.
Lucky you if you have a holiday booked here, we can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: Superior room is worth paying extra for.
1  Thank Maggie974
Kehribar, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Penzance, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2013

Thank you for your lovely review and am sorry that you had your accident whilst staying in Penzance. We are glad that we could move you to a more suitable room whilst you were incapacitated and it was our pleasure to be able to look after you. It was great to meet you both and hope your ankle mends quickly so that you can come and visit us again very soon. Sue

Reviewed 10 September 2013

My husband and I have just returned from a couple of nights stay in this hotel. We booked a superior sea view room which was very comfortable, good views and extremely quiet.
We were made most welcome and offered tea and nibbles on arrival.
I would recommend this hotel, the only 2 negatives were that the car parking was extremely tight and the hot tap on the bath did not work, we reported this to reception as we left and I felt sure that this would have soon be rectified.

1  Thank Valerie S

Hi Valerie, Thank you for your positive review and am glad you enjoyed your stay - it was good to meet you both. Glad you liked the complimentary afternoon tea on arrival too and I will be happy to park your car for you should you wish. Looking forward to seeing you soon. Sue

Reviewed 9 September 2013 via mobile

Am so disappointed, stayed for our honeymoon, second time at this hotel and standards have more then fallen they have tumbled. I have just spent £154 in their restaurant to have the doors closed on us at 9.48 without even the offer of another drink. Appalling service considering we have booked 2 nights at £200 per night. Small room considering the room we stayed in last time and still the high price. Second night of our honeymoon treated like second class citizens. Talland Bay was location of our wedding and have realised we have made a huge mistake moving to here. Never again.
Cost cutting is noticeable as are staff changes. Don't bother if you want value for your money.
Absolutely spoiled the beginning of our honeymoon and am glad to be moving on tomorrow.

• Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank Suzie0201
Kehribar, Owner at Hotel Penzance, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2013

I know an apology does not make up for a disappointing experience, but I am truly sorry; closing the restaurant doors at service end is not our normal practice as you know from your previous stay, but an error of judgement by a new member of staff on their first week who now is fully aware of the way things should be done. You should most certainly not have felt treated like a second class guest. Drink service to guests is available 24 hours and staff are available to provide it.
As far as our rooms are concerned, they are all different and graded as much by view as size, each with their own advantages. Occasionally at peak season, it's not possible to allocate the same room previously occupied, and as you booked a double/twin previously and a double this time, the rooms would not be comparable in size although their grade remains the same; I can assure you that there has been no cost cutting at all & I'm sorry you got that impression

Reviewed 6 September 2013

I feel sorry to say that becos I like this hotel. The food, the room, the location and the people are nice and good except one female receptionist. Her name is ALEX, she works in a front desk. I think she isn't that logical and mean if you challenges her mistake. For instance, I told her to check a train schedule from Penzance to Bodmin Parkway and bus schedule from Bodmin Parkway to Padstow. However, she only printed out the BUS schedule from Penzance to Padstow so when I told her again I need a train schedule then she only gave me those morning train schedule even I already mentioned to her that I'll leave after 2pm cos I wanted to do more sightseeing in the morning before I left. She always show her long face to me I guess she is just being rude, even worse, she deducted my 30 pounds expenses for dinner without noticing me. Although I told her I'll settle the payment after I come back around 2pm when I correct my luggage before leaving as I was a bit in rush in the morning and I didn't want to miss any sightseeing spot on my last day in Penzance. However, she told me that she deducted my expenses from my credit card and saying she sent me an email to informed me. But I didn't receive any email from her even until I come back to London from my trip. So I gonna write to her boss to check. Seriously, if she doesn't give attitudes to her clients, why doesn't she quit her job? She doesn't have to be here. I hope her boss will talk to her after he saw this.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank foodiekit
Kehribar, Owner at Hotel Penzance, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2013

I am very shocked to read your review, I've never had any complaint about Alex's attitude before this and I shall certainly investigate and ensure no one else is left with a poor impression of the front of house staff. Nor is it the hotel policy to take final payments from credit cards without prior authorisation except in the case of someone who has left without settling their final account. Please accept my apologies. Notwithstanding the difficulties you had, I know you appreciated the restaurant and all the other staff you encountered, and I hope your onward trip via Padstow was enjoyed without incident.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Penzance
The Queens Hotel
#10 of 21 in St Ives
The Alverton
The Alverton
#1 of 4 in Truro

Been to Hotel Penzance? Share your experiences!