“Fabulous stay in Penzance (and NO pirates!)”
Review of The Summer House

The Summer House
Ranked #50 of 82 Penzance B&B and Inns
Reviewed 9 August 2012

We were doing a walking tour through Western Cornwall before a trip to London for the Olympics and started & ended our trip in Penzance. The Summer House was the BEST of the accommodations we had while in the area. The room was perfect - nice size too. The common areas were very welcoming as well so we didn't feel restricted to sitting in our room. We thought Linda was a perfect hostess and we felt very welcomed. She gave great recommendations for restaurants too! I would highly recommend staying here if you are ever in the area.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Carman310

Reviewed 11 June 2012

Just had three nights in The Summer House and loved the place. Firstly as we approached the hotel I thought oh no, as I saw this brightly painted hotel at the end of a narrow street just of the front at Penzance. But on entering and meeting our hosts all of that feeling disappeared. Loved everything about it, the bright interiors, the home drawn art, etc. Our room was large with a small shower/toilet and extremely comfortable. The breakfasts were as good as any that we have had in any hotel and indeed since our return we have adopted one particular part of them ourselves. The knowledge of local towns, villages, attractions and how to get there was first rate.
Yes it is limited on parking space and it is more of a B & B than a hotel but then it is much more personal than a hotel, Penzance is a good base to tour surrounding areas but not much of a resort itself so all the more important to have good accomodation. Evening meals available only at weekends pre-booked, or snacks during the week also given notice. We indulged in light evening snack and it was great, just what we wanted and on talking to the landlord of the neighbouring pub the hotel has a reputation for excellent food. All in all I wouldn't rush back to Penzance but if I was in the area I would definately return to The Summer House.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank graham h
Reviewed 20 September 2011

My wife and I booked on the strength of what we saw on the internet and, in many respects, were not disappointed. We were greeted by the host and shown up to our room which was beautifully decorated and it was obvious a lot of thought had gone into it the furnishings and decor. The bathroom was a good size and there was plenty of hot water to ease aching limbs, although the tub was a little short for me (I'm 6').
We read the information we found in the room which implied that it was customary for guests to wander down early evening and enjoy a drink in the small, but well laid out garden. So, down we went and waited and waited. No sign of any staff. Some other guests wandered down and seemed to come to the same conclusion as us and decided it might be an idea to seek refreshment elsewhere. We were staying on a Friday night and whilst we appreciate dinner is served only on Saturdays and Sundays, having no-one to offer us a drink is missing out on a potential source of income, surely. Reading other people's reviews suggests they had better luck and that maybe we should have been more proactive in hunting down the staff. I did try in the kitchen, but that too was empty, so drew the line at any further incursions into the inner sanctum.
We returned from our meal in Mousehole suitably wined and dined and went to bed. Some of the customers from the pub next door took a while to say their respective goodbyes at typical closing time volumes, but nothing too problematic.
The next morning we went down to breakfast which was laid out in the Italianate dining room. We had some cereal and fruit and admired the trompe l'oeil around the room. I'm a sucker for a full English breakfast so asked for the works. What turned up was beautifully cooked and artfully arrayed on the plate, but looked so small I was momentarily convinced there was a far larger distance between the plate and me than there actually was. I strongly suggest that if your spouse isn't into cooked breakfasts, make sure he/she orders one anyway then you'll get something approaching passable portions. One of the other guests did ask for an extra rasher when ordering his which suggested he'd stayed before.
This might sound like nit-picking, but at £150 per night, I would have expected at least some attention from the hosts in the evening and decent sized breakfast. Unfortunately, we didn't come away feeling that we'd had quite the experience the price suggested. Perhaps the hosts were tied up with other matters on our particular stay and you’ll have a different experience.

Room Tip: Go for one with a bath.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
7  Thank PoppysDadUK
Reviewed 15 September 2011

The Hotel is a beautiful building and Linda is a perfect host. A warning however, don't take your cat as the rooms aren't big enough to swing one. The shower is so small you can't escape the water to apply the shower gel (which was not replenished every day). Sadly the small theme continues with breakfast which although perfectly cooked and with excellent ingredients it hardly satisfies. When I asked for scrambled eggs one morning my two halves of a tomato (served when you have a fried egg) became one half. Two halves returned the next morning when I reverted to a fried egg. Presumably the extra egg needed for scrambled equated to half a tomato. We also had to ask for extra toast every day rather than Ciro (who seemed a bit gruff) asking us. Overall it seemed a bit penny pinching. Beautiful rooms, a warm welcome, but the over-riding memory is "small". Sorry.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dallas-cowboy
Reviewed 13 September 2011

We stayed at the Summerhouse for three nights in July. This has to be the best B&B/small hotel I have ever stayed in, and I travel a lot. The hotel is spotlessly clean, beautifully decorated and tastefully furnished. Linda and Ciro are most welcoming, friendly and helpful. There is a wonderful little courtyard, where one can sit and have a drink or just relax. I can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: I am sure Linda will do her utmost to give you the room of your choice/specification. We were given...
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LondonJem
Reviewed 7 September 2011

We were so lucky to find the Summer House after a terrible hotel experience in St Agnes.
The Summer house is a jewel in Penzance we felt like we had entered Italy after walking in the front door tastefully decorated and warm welcome.There is an exquisite garden totally protected from the wind and very sunny where we drank Vintage Champers so I presume Cheiro and Linda have an excellant cellar.The room was sweet with comfortable beds and so much attention and love put into everything we ahall defintly return again.The food was sublime and they went out of their way to cook for us whilst also not intruding on us so we had a very romantic dinner of it! Wonderful!!! Should have a michelin star!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Isobel H
Reviewed 27 July 2011

We arrived early Saturday morning with the night train from London. The train itself was a hideous experience but luckily we were welcomed with a very nice breakfast in The Summer House. It's a beautiful building just off the main road with your typical steps and adjoining buildings in different styles. We stayed in superior double room; very quit and relaxed. Good bathroom and what I like the best is that the owners kept the old style of the house while incorporating it with modern elements. Breakfast was very good; there is part table service and part self service. We had nice chats with the owner about the B&B, the area, where to go and what to do. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple