The Summer House
Chymorvah Hotel(Marazion)
  • Restaurant
Cove Cottage(St Buryan)
Excellent 5/5
The Gannet Inn(Carbis Bay)
Cottage Hotel(Carbis Bay)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewstreasure chestattention to detailroom was largewest cornwallyogurtmouseholehostbedsidesea
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 24 April 2006

My husband and I stayed here during the first part of a tour around Cornwall. I had read all good things about the Summer House and I wasn't disappointed. Our room was spacious, bright and airy but the decor was a bit strange. The sea theme of yellows and blues is a bit old hat now and it did feel like everything had to be blue, yellow, checked or sea-themed - a bit overdone! The shower seemed to be impossible to get to a nice temperature too.
The food, however, was a different story. The cosy restaurant seats just 18 people and is a lovely intimate dining experience. In the summer the garden is a peaceful haven to dine in also. The food is lovingly prepared and the sea bass I had was one of the most delicious pieces of fish I have tasted!
You are very much left to our own devices here and the owners are very hands-off, which is nice and relaxed so you can come and go as you please.
Penzance itself is not a great place, but would definitely recommend visiting Mousehole! We walked there along the coast and was lovely.

• Stayed: April 2006
2  Thank monkey_em
Reviewed 2 January 2006

I felt the Summer House fell somewhere in between the last 2 reviews. The room was clean and comfortable, and while I thought the decorations were slightly tacky, I appreciated that somebody put some thought into a theme.

What made the experience was the excellent food. We had dinner and breakfast, and both were out of this world. Absolutely first rate cooking. Even if you don't stay here, I highly recommend getting dinner reservations.

• Stayed: November 2000
1  Thank skeeteratredhouse
Reviewed 19 May 2005

I can only imagine that the reviewer below was at a completely different hotel as our experience was far more in line with the first reviewer, but then maybe it takes more than a bar of neutrogena soap to make me happy. The couple running this establishment seem to have forgotten that they are providing a service which is being paid for and behave as though they are doing you a favour by letting you stay in their somewhat shabby home. I totally agree that the noise from the restaurant is unacceptable and would suggest that the rooms above it should not be let to people who have not booked dinner. All in all not an experience I would want to repeat.

• Stayed: April 2005
2  Thank holidaygirl1
A TripAdvisor Member
Boston, MA
Reviewed 6 May 2005

I must say, I am completely shocked to read the previous review to mine. We had a lovely time at the Summer House in Penzance. Yes, it's an old creaky house, but the nice (and very helpful) couple that owns the place have done an excellent job decorating and making the common rooms bright and cheerful with a Mediterranean flavor. We were actually surprised at how large our room was, at how comfortable the beds were and found the decorations to be quite charming. Our room was done up in a blue beach motif, which I thought very tasteful. There's a nice strong shower, high-end Neutrogena bath products and big fluffy towels. They have also put DVD players in all the rooms along with several well chosen movies! We had two breakfasts and one dinner at the inn and enjoyed all the meals immensely. To be honest, all the guests we met were very friendly and seemed to be having a great time--I don't understand what the complainers could be talking about. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Summer House as a home base while exploring the sights in the area.

• Stayed: April 2005
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
London, UK
Reviewed 5 July 2004

If you're looking for peace and quiet the Summer House is not for you! Located in Penzance, a very third rate cornish town compared to some of it's near neighbours of St Ives & Mousehole, the Summer House's accomodation has to be described as terrible.
Although the restaurant has a good reputation the rooms are a "Changing Rooms" designers worst nightmare. Our room was nothing like those on the web site and appeared to be themed on a mexican bordello. The walls were garish orange, the furniture from a car boot sale and the picture on the wall had to have been drawn by someone's two year old child. The walls were paper thin and being located above the restaurant, spectacularly failed to deliver the "quiet room" we had requested and had been promised on booking.
When we approached the owners to enquire about another possibly "even quieter room", we were very aggresively advised there were none and if we didn't like it we should leave immediately (not exactly what can be descibed as customer service).
Although it was 9.30pm on a Saturday night we decided this was the best result we could ask for and chose to leave. However, the final straw was when we requested the return of our credit card imprint and this was flately refused (we have subsequently found out this is illegal). At this point the owners became very abusive and we were forced to take the extreme step of reporting the problem to our credit card company in case of a fraudulent payment being taken.
Having travelled extensively, our experience at the Summer House was unique but not one I would recommend to anyone. Try the Travel Inn near Bodmin if you want to retain your sanity!

• Stayed: June 2004