“good hotel if you choose the right room”
Review of The Queens Hotel

The Queens Hotel
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Penzance
Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom
“good hotel if you choose the right room”
Reviewed 14 August 2014

We stayed in the hotel as a family with our son and a little dog. The room was overlooking the sea and was excellent: grand and spacious. The bathroom facilities were very good. We had a superb long weekend. Penzance is very conveniently located for driving to St Ives, Lands End, St Michael's Mount and a lot of other attractions. The only downside is that not all rooms are the same in quality. We wanted to extend our stay by one night and as our room was already booked by someone else we were offered an alternative room for that extra night. That other room was next to the Italian restaurant, the window was right next to the restaurant's extractor. It was awfully noisy, dark and very unpleasant. The room was very small. We rejected it and decided not to stay that extra day. If I had not seen that other room I would have given 5 stars so the hotel, but that just spoiled the whole impression for me. We would recommend the hotel and we would go back. But just make sure you choose the room with the sea view. The staff were friendly however and very understanding.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with sea view
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Lucy S
Nigel P, Guest Relations Manager at The Queens Hotel, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Lucy,

That you for reviewing The Queens Hotel on Tripadvisor.

As an older hotel, not all our rooms are the same so we're pleased that you had a great view from the room where you stayed.

Our staff are well-trained and I'm glad that they helped you in every way that they could.

We look forward to seeing you next year, hopefully!

Nigel Pengelly.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2014

I had not stayed at The Queens Hotel before and after reading a few reviews on here I was a little nervous as we had my 83 year old mom with us. However I need not have worried at all. The hotel was wonderful. it was spotless clean and the towels were changed daily. The room was tidied daily. The hotel itself had a lovely olde worlde atmosphere, right down to the efficient
polite and hard working staff who just couldn't do enough for you. Anything you wanted or needed you just had to ask. I find this a rarity in this age. The breakfast was first class, with everything you could want. I was worried about the lift being out of order as a couple of reviews stated "it always was" well it was working fine for the whole week that we were there. I would certainly stay here again in this relaxed, charming, beautiful hotel. I could find no fault at all.

Room Tip: There are some rooms with a wonderful sea view, specify that you want one of these when booking to b...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank bonnie g
Bonnie,

Thank you for your kind review and comments.

We're pleased that your mother enjoyed her stay, and that everything was clean and to your liking.

The Queens Hotel is a traditional hotel, and we pride ourselves on our service and friendliness.

We look forward to seeing you next year.

Houston, Texas
Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed on a Saturday & Sunday at the Queens hotel mid July 2014. Upon arrival we discovered the lift was broken and would not be repaired to the following Monday morning. So our daily workouts were scheduled into our visit ;) The other problem was the Wi-Fi it was absolutely horrible The worse we came across during our entire stay in the UK. Besides those two problems our room was very Comfortable and clean very spacious. Great view of the promenade. The full English breakfast was wonderful each morning. The staff were professional and businesslike. The free carpark was a plus if you have a vehicle.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Kat,

Thank you for your kind review.

The lift has been repaired and is in complete working order and we are having the wifi improved.

We are glad that you found the stay comfortable, and that you enjoyed the breakfast.

Please do come again next year when the lift will be working, and the wifi much faster.

Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Booked for one night at the weekend and nothing wrong, I guess it just missed the wow factor. I paid top whack because it was one of the last rooms available in Penzance and if it ihad been cheaper I guess I could have come away happier.
Basically I feel I spend too much for what it was ...

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank bobtheturn
Nigel P, Public Relations Manager at The Queens Hotel, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Bob,

Thank you for your review of The Queens Hotel.

We're sorry that The Queens Hotel didn't provide the 'wow' factor for you.

The Queens Hotel is a traditional seaside hotel, with a fine pedigree in service and food. Our location is also one of its redeeming features.

If you do choose to stay again, we'd be happy to point out some of the amazing places to visit nearby and show you around the hotel.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2014

The location could not be better in Penzance. The rooms at the front have a spectacular view over the sea, from St Michael's Mount to the East to the Mousehole headland to the West. Always something going on on the water to look at. Flat walk of about 400yards to some good restaurants near the harbour and then a short uphill walk to many more and the main shops. Hotel staff extremely helpful and pleasant. Decor is typical of seaside hotel. Easy parking in hotel car park. Recommended.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Fussywife,

Thank you for your kind review.

We're very glad that you enjoyed your stay and that our staff were polite and helpful.

Please do come again, we look forward to seeing you.

Dorset, England
Reviewed 29 July 2014

I was staying at a nearby hotel, and decided to eat one evening at the Queens Hotel for a change. The evening menu was displayed at Reception, so I was able to see what kind of food was available before making a booking. I booked a table for that evening with a very pleasant young man on Reception. When I arrived that evening, my table was already laid up, together with a bread roll and water, awaiting my arrival. I chose the chicken liver pate with warm toast starter. This arrived promptly and was a good helping of attractively presented pâté with toast that really was warm. My main course of sole with a dish of vegetables - new and sauté potatoes, cauliflower, green beans and carrots was very nicely cooked and a portion size far greater than I could manage. I did however manage to force down a dessert of strawberries with clotted cream, which was again a very generously sized portion. I had a glass of very acceptable house wine with the meal. The bill came to around £30 which I thought was a little expensive, but considering both the quality and quantity of food, I was happy to pay it. The waitress was friendly and helpful, and I had a lovely sea view from my table. Overall a very enjoyable experience.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank pollyanna_rosa
Pollyanna,

Thank you for your kind review.

We take great pride in the food served at The Queens Hotel, and we are pleased that you enjoyed the experience.

Our food is sourced from local producers as we are keen to support our local farmers and fishermen, and also believe that their produce is far superior to other sources of food.

Sometimes, this may cause some items to be more expensive but, as you rightly pointed out, the quality and quantity of food is worth it.

We certainly don't want anyone leaving The Queens Hotel hungry.

Lancashire
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We booked this trip through Wowcher which at £99 for a two night stay for two of us, was a good price. It was a very large, imposing hotel right on the sea front, and had wonderful views of the sea. We upgraded to a sea view room with four poster bed, and it was absolutely beautiful. It was really large with plenty of good quality furniture, and lots of hanging space for clothes. The bed was lovely and comfortable and the bed linen was immaculate. There was a table and two chairs in front of the bay.window, and you could sit and admire the wonderful panoramic views. The bathroom had been recently refurbished and was very bright and scrupulously clean.
The food in the hotel was excellent. A full English breakfast served each morning, served directly from the kitchen by the waiters.(none of your buffet style) and then dinner in the evening was really good, with plenty of choice. To sit by the window overlooking the sea, whilst you had your meals, was amazing.
The staff at the Hotel were all very polite and well-mannered, and very helpful if you needed to know anything.
The only negatives were that the lift wasn't working (and apparently hasn't been since the flooding in February)and we had to walk up forty eight steps each time we went to our room, and as a couple with walking difficulties, we found very hard.
Also, they had a small conservatory area next to the dining room, where you could sit and read and admire the views, but there was only four tables in there, and was in no way big enough for the people wanting to use it.
Overall, we had a wonderful time at this lovely hotel, and we can thoroughly recommend it. We will be back.

Room Tip: Request a room at the front, overlooking the sea
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Nigel P, Guest Relations Manager at The Queens Hotel, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Yvonne,

Thank you for reviewing The Queens Hotel and for your positive feedback.

We take pride in making sure our beds are ultra-comfortable and that the linen is presented to perfection. We feel these are important attributes to ensuring a sound night's sleep.

Having a meal while over looking St Michael's Bay is an amazing experience and one we are glad you enjoyed.

Our bathrooms are refurbished on a regular basis, and we ensure that all the rooms are well-maintained and spotlessly clean.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Queens Hotel in the future.

Nigel Pengelly.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Penzance
Hotel Penzance
Penventon Park Hotel
Penventon Park Hotel
#1 of 2 in Redruth
Mount Haven Hotel & Restaurant

Been to The Queens Hotel? Share your experiences!