“Please read previous reviews!!!!”

Whiteways Guest House
Ranked #79 of 81 Penzance B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Please read previous reviews!!!!”
Reviewed 18 April 2012

I visited Whiteways last week just for the one night on my own and it really was not a nice experience. When I arrived, the lady who showed me to my room was pretty drunk and slurring quite a lot, even saying if there was any problems that evening there was nothing I could do as they would all be out! She showed me my room which was very small. I didn't mind the size as it was just one night, but it was everything else. The room was freezing and the heater wouldn't work, leading to me putting on the hot shower so the steam would warm up the room! Duvet smelt, could hear every word the couple next door were saying to eachother (and they weren't being loud), carpet was coming away and when other people use their toilet it makes a big noise. Terrible nights sleep. NOT good value for money. Spend a tenner more and actually enjoy your time in Penzance.

Room Tip: I stayed in the single room.....if you can't avoid this place then at least avoid the room!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank crcake

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 March 2012

Due to a busy weekend most of the open b&b's were fully booked so i grabbed anything without checking reviews.
The first thing that hits you when you enter the house is the smell. Difficult to say what it was but the bedroom was even worse forcing me to sleep with the window fully open. This is the true 'Doss' house at it's best. Great location though. Service in all fairness was fairly good. Moral of the review.......check reviews before you book

• Stayed February 2012
4 Thank Alastair S

Travellers are raving about these Penzance hotels

Isles of Scilly
Reviewed 22 November 2011

Forget about this doss house I made the mistake of pre booking plenty of time in advance with an internet company called booking.com stating my train would be a late arrival and giving the time as 10.30 when I arrived on time a dispute broke out as to weather I had ever made the booking in the first place . I produced the relevant paper work confirming the fact that all I had stated was true in the meantime for fifteen minutes I was kept waiting on the doorstep and treated in a hostile manner travelers beware. Having read a lot of other reviews I should have stayed well clear of this highway doss house we live and learn and tell the truth.

Room Tip: Keep away at all costs
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank davidpender
Somerset
Reviewed 28 August 2011

The room was dirty, the food was poor, bed was on a slope, the window was help open with a brick, it was very noisy with all the clubs turning out. the shower door never closed, the shower was just a trickle, the bath room was so small you had difficulty squeezing in between the wash basin and toilet to sit on the toilet.. You pay for what you get, not worth paying for.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank clubs167
Kiama
Reviewed 23 July 2011

This hotel is an older style. Owners very helpful and chatty. Rooms small and some things could do with repair.e.g. loose tap. Room small, but beds reasonable. Good full English breakfast. It is reasonable value for what you pay if you just want somewhere to sleep for a short stay. Very close to railway station was a big plus for us as we came by train. You would not want to have a heavy bag, as we were on the 3rd floor and there is no lift.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Trevor97
Worthing, West Sussex
Reviewed 14 May 2011

I stayed here through the recommendation of a nearby hotel (as they were full for that particular day) and I'm pleased that I did. This guest house is very close to both the raliway and coach stations which was a great convenience to me. The lady who greeted me upon my arrival was very friendly and helpful, and showed me to my room which whilst being fairly average was sufficient for a night's stay. The breakfast was excellent and the owner was able to assist with my vegetarian requirements. I'll certainly come again, the breakfast alone makes it worthwhile! Also, unlike a lot of things in Penzance, the Whiteways represents good value for money.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Benn_Tony
solihull
Reviewed 19 April 2011

Stayed here for one night and that was enough, the room was tiny with a single bed that was only just bearable, the decor had a used and outdated feel. the worst part was waking up in the morning and being engulfed in the smell of fried breakfast in my room i tried to open the window and it didn't open! i like my full English but having my clothes and room smell of them was another matter, and to top that the actual breakfast was poor the plates and cutlery were dirty. I know it's a cheap stay but never again, i question whether the local tourist board have actually checked this place out.

• Stayed April 2011