Whiteways Guest House
Chymorvah Hotel(Marazion)
  • Restaurant
Cove Cottage(St Buryan)
View Hotel
The Gannet Inn(Carbis Bay)
Cottage Hotel(Carbis Bay)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsneeded somewherebreakfast includedhearty breakfastwould stay againhouserenovationferryhost
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 5 December 2012

STAY AWAY!! STAY WELL AWAY!!! As soon as you walk in you are met with a damp mouldy smell, The interior is grubby looking like a dss bail hostel. DO NOT book the £25 single room!!!
The bed was absolutly knackered , the slightest movement and it made noise, the mattress was in a appalling condition. The onsuite was so small i couldnt sit on the loo properly. All the furnishings and fixtures look old and totally worn out, It is without a doubt the worst place i have ever stayed at!!!
Quote from another guest " This place should be closed down, I don't know how the tourist board have let them keep open so far, This place is a nightmarish hovel "
Spot on
Ps Dont be fooled by the pictures online, they lie about the condition of this place

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
4  Thank Farmer P
Reviewed 5 December 2012

This B&B is overall quite good in my opinion. The location is very convenient, just one minute from the train station. The house owners are very nice and welcoming. I am especislly impressed by the full-day breakfast offered!!

Yes, the room may be a little bit small (I lived in a single room), but I dont think it is dirty. The smell from the kitchen definitely needs some improvement, but apart from that, everything is great!!

What can be asked for more under that reasonable price? =)

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed 5 December 2012

I had booked and paid on-line based on the website. My mistake was not touse Tripadvisor!! Arrived mid-afternoon to have the splendour of the Greasy Spoon. Entered the dingy corridor and shown up to our single rooms. The were clean but that was about it. Old and tired linen, very offputting "dining room", greasy unappetising breakfast menu. Decided to just leave and forgo the money we had paid out.

Room Tip: Don't bother.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Tedfeather
Reviewed 14 October 2012

The location of this B&B could not be better as it's less than 5 minutes away from the train station. The room I had on the whole was comfortable, and looked like some effort had been made to update it. Breakfast was excellent and I could not eat all of it, my eyes where bigger than my belly. The lady who greeted me was friendly enough. Some areas still need attention and I'm sure this will be done in time. I would stay again as on the whole it was not a bad visit.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 September 2012

Given the generally terrible reviews, it is only fair I start with some positives from my two-day stay at Whiteways.

1) The location was ideal as I was catching an early train on departure. Literally less than a 30-second walk to the train and coach station, the docks are a further 30 seconds, and the town centre 30 seconds the other way. Can't fault the location at all.

2) The welcome. Had read lots of bad reviews about the staff, but they were very welcoming and helpful to me so I've no complaints at all.

3) The cooked breakfast. Very nice indeed, and considering I was paying £35 or so for the room I thought the breakfast was very decent value.

Right, some inevitable negatives.

I took the single room and, oh my God, it is strange to say the least. Hardly room to swing a cat, the shower cubicle is inches away from the pillow end of the bed. Just a bizarre set-up.

No desk at all, so basically put my back out when I had to work on the laptop for a couple of hours with the computer resting precariously on the edge of the bed.

The shower cubicle is tiny, so battered into the edges every time I flinched a millimetre.

The decor is extremely shabby and dated.

The hot water tap in the sink only had cold water (had to boil the kettle to have a shave).

The cream in the room for the tea was off.

The roof leaked all night (had to position bin underneath the leak which meant a noisy pitter-patter all night)

Just the whole place was shabby, horrendously in need of a revamp and lacking any comfort at all.

I much prefer staying in independent small places than chains, but not when they are as bad as this. I really wanted to love it, but in the end it was an awful experience (bar the location and good breakfasts).

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business