“Mixed feelings - good starter / spoilt main course”

Gino's Spaghetti House
Ranked #94 of 187 Restaurants in Penzance
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Quite a nice little Italian restaurant with good views of the prom & out into the bay - ideally positioned next to the Queens Hotel.
The waitress was keen to advocate that the pasta was all freshly made on the pasta, but as that was not my intended choice I could not comment on whether it was or not...
My 'Funghi All Provinciale' was extremely good with a very flavoursome tomato and garlic sauce (light on the garlic) and served with very tasty bread. Well worth the asking price.
My Steak - 'Costata Di Manza Piccante' (advertised as Sirloin Steak cooked with Onions. Mushrooms, Peppers & Wine sauce) came with a very good sauce which was extremely fiery (OK for me but could easily spoil the expereince for a lot of diners) - perhaps the write up should advertise that it is a very hot dish. Unfortunately the steak was tough, it appeared to have been cooked as I wished (rare) but I think the meat quality was not what it should be (cooking it medium to well may have improved it. My personal opinion of the main course was that overall it was not worth the asking price.
I would probably return if I was in the area, but avoid the steak and perhaps try the pasta....

Reviewed 19 August 2014

Children welcomed yet atmosphere calm; food excellent, including special requests for Children. NB didn't book, got the last table - at 7pm so booking probably advisable.

Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

My experience here was very good. They were fully booked, but fitted me in as I was not going to stay all night.
The service was good and the food was good.
It is what it is. A sea front Itallian in Penzance !
God food, good price and good ambiance.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

It was recommended that we visit this restaurant recently. It took some time before the order was taken although the restaurant wasnt very busy. I received my meal quicky, but apparently the kitchen had forgotten to prepare the food for my friend. At one point we only asked if the pasta had meat in it, the cook was very defensive and quite rude.
As visitors to UK and having eaten in many italian restaurants in Switzerland and Italy, I would say that the food was nothing exceptional. The staff seem to spend more time talking at the bar than paying attention to their clientale.

4  Thank Tricia S
Reviewed 12 July 2014

I cannot agree with the negative comments on Trip Advisor about this restaurant. Luckliy for us we had not read the reviews on Trip Advisor for this restaurant, or we would not have set foot in there.
Yes, the table cloths were worn and when you lifted the table mat you could see where it had been. Yes- they do sit you in the window, but that is what most peolpe want.
Once again, 9 hungry cyclists for dinner. All with starters,mains and pudding. I had the lasange (meat) with garlic bread. The lasagne came in a dish with plenty of sauce around the outside. Home cooked, it was lovely.My partner had the chefs special pasta, that was lovely and creamy with loads of taste. One of the party had the chefs special pizza (anything goes) we said he would get ice cream on it. he did not though, pity.
Everything came out at the same time and was really well cooked and hot. The restaurant has had some problems in the past, but I cannot agree that the staff are rude and unfriendly. Even the owner came over to speak to us and she was doing all the cooking.
Pudding- I had the Lemon Meringue with ice cream and strawberry coulis- I was dissapointed with the meringue, but I should have had one of the home made puddings. I saw the Lemon Meringue in another restaurant, so I guess they get them from the same place.
Really good value for money- Give this place a try, you may be surprised.