“Terrific coffee!”
Review of Espresso Culture - CLOSED

Espresso Culture
Reviewed 1 October 2012

My wife and I stopped in after a long, tiring day of sightseeing and were greeted warmly by the owner. We both had an americano (best coffee we've had in England!) accompanied by a fantastic piece of chocolate cake. We were told they don't do their own baking, but the cake was wonderful. We returned the next day, ordered coffee again with a different which was also terrific. We wish them much success with this relatively new adventure.

1  Thank Volsinia

Reviewed 30 September 2012

Espresso Culture, down at bottom of Market Jew Street, is a lovely place to relax and enjoy a cup of excellent coffee or tea, and perhaps a tasty snack.

My first visit was in the summer; my friend had read a review of this new cafe (formerly Green Bean) in the local paper, so we thought we would try it out. We sat outside in the sunny courtyard and enjoyed chicken salad and iced latte (me), and bacon salad and Americano (my friend). My iced latte was exactly what I needed after a long day's retail therapy, and my friend said her Americano was delicious too. We both enjoyed our salads and thought they were excellent value - the whole thing for us both came to less than £10!

I thought our meal was such good value that I even asked the waitress, who turned out to be one of the owners (Donna), whether they were going to keep their prices low, or if it was just an introductory offer. She said they intended to keep them like that, as their business plan includes trying to encourage locals, as well as tourists, to make regular visits. I must say, it is working for me!

Next time, I took my coffee-addict husband along, as I had been telling him how nice it was. As the weather was more autumnal, we both had double lattes (beautifully made, with hearts on top, by Donna's son and co-owner Kurt). I had salad again (Brie) and hubby had a granary and chicken salad sandwich, which he said was excellent. True to their word, the total for both was below £10.

The inside is calm and relaxed, as evidenced by the creative looking Mac-user in the corner, treating it as an office. I could easily imagine doing the same thing if I ever decide to write a novel! The owners are friendly and laid back. This is a place to take it easy and revive yourself, before going out to enjoy the delights of Penzance! Highly recommended.

1  Thank HJ R