“Best view in town”
Review of The Watchers

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Polperro
The Watchers
Ranked #10 of 12 Polperro B&B and Inns
Nottingham
“Best view in town”
Reviewed 30 August 2011

Great little B&B here. We had stayed before about 4 years ago and booked in again for the bank holiday. The owners were very friendly, the room was lovely with an amazing view across the harbour. Breakfast, a full English, was very nice too. Would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 June 2011

Stayed here for one night as part of a two night break. Stayed in 'The Cottage B&B' first night which was absolutely faultless (highly recommended eventhough it hasn't a view as such) and would have loved to have stayed a further second night but booked at late notice so no vacancies therefore we opted to book into 'The Watchers' solely for it's excellent 'picturesque sea views' (if you are lucky enough to be able to book the front of the house which we were).
The night we stayed was my birthday (a special one as it was my 40th just like another reviewer who has written ironically a negative review about this place). Being we were already in Polperro, we dropped just our luggage off at the premises and went back around tea time and were shown to our room which like I have already mentioned was small but indeed lovely with a great view which I had been fortunate enough to enjoy many a times over the numerous years I routinely visit Polperro.
Ok, the reasons why we would never ever stay at 'The Watchers' again is as follows:
a) When we were walking towards 'The Watchers' to stay at our room, the owners were walking towards us and stopped to say 'We are aware that it's your Birthday and we just want to warn you not to light any 'Birthday candles' if you have a 'Birthday Cake' with you!?' We assured and reassured them that we did not have a 'Birthday Cake' nor candles with us. My partner giggled as we parted company with the owners saying that we both thought they were stopping us to wish me a nice evening being it was my 40th Birthday and to wish me an enjoyable evening but instead presented us with quite a stern warning over the possibility of lighting Birthday candles within one of their rooms. We were made to feel like teenagers the way they spoke to us that had no common sense or the awareness of potential fire hazards. I know what I would have done with a Birthday candle if I did indeed have one with me and it wouldn't have gone on top of a cake after being spoken to in the manner we have just been spoken to' I remarked back to my partner! lol.
b) Breakfast - awful. One of the worst I've ever had anywhere. When we booked the B&B, we were not told that they did not offer 'Full English' but Continental instead so were very surprised the following morning when we went down for breakfast. What we ended up was not enjoyable and not worth the money of what we paid to stay.
c) We were awoken on the morning we were to check out by get ready for it....yes, exactly like how other reviewers have said by the famous loud hoover that banged away against our bedroom door which I am sure was a strong hint to get up, get ready, eat and get out. We not once felt a ounce of hospitality oozing from either of them. That's all I can say is that perhaps years and years ago they were more welcoming towards their guests but now they make you feel you are a hinderous to them, except for your money of course, which they do indeed 'welcome' with open arms.
Yes, so to sum our two night stay up in Polperro - 'The Cottage B&B' 10/10, 'The Watchers' 4/10 (four points for the view - which they can't spoil).
Tip: Don't go here if you want to enjoy your Birthday.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
9 Thank fairview2016
Derbyshire, Englaind
Reviewed 2 June 2011

We stayed 3 nights in May and found it to be the best B&B in Cornwall. Patsy and John (the owners), could not have been more friendly or helpful. The room we were given was fantastic, with views to die for. The cleanliness is second to none and everything you may require to make our stay comfortable was supplied. We found that by the time we left, Patsy and John were more like friends than hoteliers. We have travelled extensively, particulary in Devon & Cornwall, and will not hesitate to return to "The Watchers". We usually refer to Trip Advisor before booking and use it as a rough guide. We were saddend that Patsy & John had been upset by previous bad write-ups, but we assured them that you always get one, no matter how good you are! There is always some warped idiot who takes delight in trying to drag down good people. This review is true and if you contact Patsy, we dont mind her passing on our phone number to you to confirm this. Thank you Patsy & John, we will be back!!!!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 April 2011

We stayed at the Watchers fo 2 nights and couldn't believe our luck when we arrived to find that we had picked what has to be the best spot in Polperro. The sea views (and sounds) from our room were amazing but we were still only moments away from the pubs and eating places around Polperro harbour. John and Patsy were extremely friendly and welcoming, Our room was very clean and comfortable and the breakfast was great. Now that we have discovered the Watchers we wouldn't want to stay anywhere else in Polperro.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 January 2011

My girlfriend and I booked into the Watchers last summer for a few days stay in Cornwall. We stayed in the room which overlooked the dramatic cliff view, the photos of which don't do it justice. The proprietors were friendly and welcoming and made pleasant conversation, there was a good range of breakfasts and they managed well to cater for my vegetarianism. The nearby pubs provided high quality food - I recall the Three Pilchards was excellent. Would certainly stay again.

Apologies for the late review, but we did promise =)

-- Jay and Katrin

Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
uk
Reviewed 27 September 2010

stunning location,polperro is a wonderful place to visit for a couple of days,very old and quaint streets are very narrow.but a horse and cart will take you to the bottom if your not very good on your feet.blue peter pub is fabulous at night live music on fridays and you are made very welcome.we stayed at the watchers bed and breakfast a truly gorgeous old place with bedroom views to die for.joanne and roger from north wales.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Yorkshire Dales National Park, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2010

We've just returned from a glorious 3 weeks break in Cornwall and have to recommend the 'Watchers' as the undisputed 'best' B & B we have ever stayed at! Considering my wife Kay and I have stayed at hundreds of establishments in Cornwall over the last 10 years whilst traversing the South West Coast Path (both ways), we feel we are in a good position to comment on this. This year we decided to stay a bit longer at some of our favourite places we have visited on our travels (one of which was Polperro), and I have to say; we were not in the least disappointed.

John and Patsy were the perfect hosts during the week we stayed with them and couldn't have been more helpful to us if they had tried. Their hospitality, generosity, and most important of all; friendliness, was second to none, and what a fantastic sense of humour they both have! The room itself was simply outstanding in terms of comfort and cleanliness with fantastic views over the harbour and out to sea – breakfasts’ are absolutely fab too!

Anyone wanting a quiet relaxing holiday where they can listen to the waves at night crashing on the rocks right beneath their window should head to the ‘Watchers’ at Polperro. The little village in itself is absolutely stunning to say the least, but the B & B is even better! We will definitely be returning to this little ‘gem’ next year!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank johnnykay4
Also consider these accommodations in or near Polperro
The Claremont Hotel
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,315 reviews
Portbyhan Hotel
Portbyhan Hotel
#3 of 7 in Looe

Been to The Watchers? Share your experiences!