“Great fish and chips and really friendly service.”
Review of Wheelhouse

Wheelhouse
Ranked #19 of 25 Restaurants in Polperro
Cuisines: Cafe, British
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Brunch, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Waitstaff
“Great fish and chips and really friendly service.”
Reviewed 29 March 2012

had great fish and chips from here last summer. Does what it says on the tin!

2 Thank brymon_123

“Embarrassingly bad, makes me ashamed to be British.”
Reviewed 12 March 2012

After paying £4 to park in the car park at the top of the village in February (well out of season) I guess I should have known better not to have imagined that I was likely to be ripped off elsewhere in the village.
So, with my four hungry kids and partner in tow and with so many of the cafes and shops in Polperro closed we were delighted to see somewhere open we could get in to escape the rain and grab a bite to eat. The wheelhouse looks suitably quaint and is located on the quay-a great location. Unfortunately this is where all good things stop. I wish I'd noticed the freezer chock full of processed foods when we walked in but to be honest I was fooled into thinking we'd get a great meal after reading the hand written sign on the wall. "we don't serve fast food, we serve good food as fast as we can". Well sadly this proved to be utter nonsense, I'd rather eat at macdonalds! We ordered the kids burger and chips meal for the little ones, an adult version for my partner and a pasty for me. The kids burgers were surely a joke - they arrived at the table, plated with frozen chips and without a bun or cheese - before I could say anything the kids asked where the bun was! The owner replied that you don't get a bun, just a sad, oatmeal inclusive, dark grey thin burger and when the kids asked for ketchup - a bottle of 99p happy shopper tomato sauce. Awful. The adult burger at least came in a bun but otherwise was equally poor. The pasty, served with a ramekin of sickly sweet pickle and resplendent with a base seemingly made of leather didn't impress either. Seriously, this country deserves better than some owners who clearly have no interest in food and who are sending out the worst message to visitors, home grown and foreign. In a Cornish village, next to the sea and with such wonderful local produce we really should be serving up better food than this. Can you imagine the French doing this? This place is genuinely awful and I felt angry and robbed of £35. I really do not think that I will be visiting Polperro again, the tourist board and the town should be lobbying to improve this. Sorry but there it is.

11 Thank Peter C