“Nice Breakfast. Attentive Service”
Review of Wheelhouse

Wheelhouse
Ranked #21 of 26 Restaurants in Polperro
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 19 August 2013

Whilst staying in Polperro we ate breakfast here one morning. Our party consisted of two adults and three kids (the youngest aged 2).

Initial impression when you walk through the door is that it is slightly dated, but this fits with Polperro.

We were seated and attended to quickly. We ordered cooked breakfasts for all of us and it was no problem to split one of their largest breakfasts between two kids and they brought a spare plate to accommodate this.

The breakfasts were exactly what we needed and the bacon was especially good.

I'm not sure I would choose to eat here for anything more that a breakfast or a quick tea or coffee, but if you are looking for a quick eat then this is the place.

Our bill for 4 breakfasts, tea's, coffees and drinks for the kids was circa £40 which wasn't too bad for the size of portions.

Reviewed 26 June 2013

On arriving with my mother the wheelhouse seemed ,though a little bit dated my first impression was good,sat down a young somewhat nervous waitress approached and asked what we would like.We ordered a ploughman for my mother and a crab dish for myself which the young girl didn't know was on the menu.After waiting about twenty minutes,sounds reasonable time to produce two meals that are cold served and we were number two of the people sitting and the others were already eating.Listening to the conversation from the kitchen my worries were increasing with every moment,(put the crab on the plate quoted woman,no I don't want to touch it replied young girl,you do it woman told young man who had appeared from upstairs entering through the the restaurant .The young lady (after being told to put two knives and forks out appeared again and plonked the cutlery on the edge of the table and disappeared into the kitchen.Then it arrived... I can only say that I was so shocked what was put on the table in front of us that I was rendered speechless,my crabo meal at £10.95 consisted of dried out what tasted like tinned crab,there were mixed leaves,mainly rocket leaf as they had obviously used all the others up,they were possibly over one or two days old,the quarter slice of tomato and one slice of cucumber thrown on top looked sad and lonely ,my mothers ploughman had two slices of sweaty cheddar and again a sad looking salad,but I noticed she had onion.We ate it,we'll most of it,during which time the shocked looks on our faces possibly noticed by the lady sent the young girl out to ask us if everything was alright.Yes I know some may say I should have complained there and then but when the young girl with her puppy eyes gave me the opportunity to launch into a full blown complaint as I am describing now,I couldn't .Fearing that she would be scared for life,mabe end up anorexic ,or worse i replied with ,Fine.
After leaving the establishment ,£24.70 lighter (including drinks) dropping a 30 pence tip in the tray on the counter because I thought the young girl might need it when someone less understanding comes along,I thought,if the woman in the back was using her son and daughter(outside said it was family run) to pull this (she's only learning,he's only learning) ,what, after thinking about it for a while, scam she won't last long,But just passing trade will probably keep her in business and using her children as cheap labour and the front of house scam,I nearly deleted this as I think everyone deserves a chance but I'm getting the feeling I've just been done ,well done...

6  Thank Foodro
Reviewed 2 June 2013

Although the service was verry attentive, the food was such a disapppointment that i decided to write this review. The spareribs where microwaved and the fishsallad was tasteless and not fresh.

5  Thank robertdebruin
Reviewed 3 April 2013

I'm shocked to read the mixed reviews. We went here in march for a warm bite to eat. It was freezing outside so the small and cosy seating area was welcome. A very friendly smiley face greeted us very quickly even though the place was quiet busy. A cream tea and sausage and bacon bap followed which where average price and lovely. The kids where given paper and crayons and I had a lovely chat with the owner. There where 3 other families here when we ate and everyone seemed happy so not sure where the mixed reviews are coming from.
If you want simple comfort food then great. I would be happy to eat here again and recommend this place to a friend. Great location!

Reviewed 2 April 2013

We were extremely disappointed with this perfectly located cafe. Hoping for a traditional cornish pasty for lunch, we were served barely luke-warm, soggy, soft cornish pasties that were quite frankly inedible. The cafe smelt of disinfectant and everything on the tables was tacky/sticky. Cheap sauces in squirty canisters, and no toilet facilities.They had also run out of prawns, and egg mayonnaise for sandwiches. I must say we weren't charged for the cornish pasty dinners as we hadn't eaten any of them; but we had to kick up a real stink to get this discount. We left and found a lovely bakery which served us a hot crusty 'real' cornish pasty which we ate walking along!!

6  Thank lucybishop2012