“Paul, Gino and the Maserati”
Review of The Bay Hotel

The Bay Hotel
Ranked #5 of 12 Port Isaac B&B and Inns
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
“Paul, Gino and the Maserati”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

My wife and I enjoyed a three night stay at the Bay Hotel. Many elements of the stay led to the enjoyment factor ... the view, the quaint village, the people, Doc Martin locations, hiking along the coast, excellent breakfasts and last but not least Paul and Gino! We were greeted first by Gino. I owned a Great Dane years ago, so immediatley fell for Gino. All I had to do was scratch his ears and he nuzzled his head into my stomach (I was standing at the time!) and we became friends for life! Paul followed ..I didn't scratch his ears ... but he greeted us with open arms and made us feel equally welcome. Paul was very informative and knowledgable about everything in Port Isaac and surrounding area. He guided us to a great restaurant, had tips on the hikes we planned and had great stories about the cast of Doc Martin and their visits to the Bay Hotel. He was extremely helpful on one specific day ... my hike from Port Isaac to Tintagel. I planned a one way hike and then a bus back to Port isaac. The hike went well but the bus wasn't running that day. I called Paul and he said he would pick me up. About 30 minutes later while standing by the visitors center in Tintagel, a Maserati pulls into the parking lot ...it was Paul! Such service and such a pleasant ride back to Port Isaac in style! More great stories along the way cemented the overall experience. Thank you Paul for making our stay such an enjoyable and memorable one! It's obvious we will come back and also obvious we highly recommend others to vist for an experience of a lifetime! Jim & Joyce

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
toronto
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Since we are big fans of Doc Martin we had to stop in "Port Wenn" and selected the Bay Hotel from Trip Advisor and Booking reviews.

Obviously you can't believe everything you read on websites. The view is certainly as advertised as we arrived the weather started to improve and when we left it was bright and sunny.

We were met by the owner who barely even said hello showed us to our room and disappeared. We had the room at the front with a balcony, easily the best part of the room. The bed was lumpy and uncomfortable, there was mould in the shower and the light fixture was so dirty my wife wanted to get Windex and clean it.

Breakfast the next morning was bland and not worth having, something we had heard in the village the night before.

The best part of our stay was Gino the great dane, at least he was friendly. Fortunately we only stayed one night before heading off to the Lake District

3 Thank visitorToronto
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 June 2014

I've only just signed up to tripadvisor so this relates to a couple of stays back in December 2012/3. We stayed in room 11 both times and can't think of enough superlatives to describe the experience. The views were exceptional, Paul was very friendly/helpful and the food was lovely. I can't fault the experience.

Room Tip: I can recommend room 11
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Severna Park, Maryland
Reviewed 11 June 2014

As my wife has mobility issues, we wanted to stay in a hotel as close as possible to downtown Port Isaac as possible, so we chose the Bay Hotel. Our host, Paul, and his gentle giant Great Dane, Gino, were amazingly accommodating. I had a problem reaching a business and Paul was of enormous assistance, plus Paul assisted us one evening with transportation issues, something we didn't expect but vastly appreciated.

Our room had a commanding view overlooking the sea, was beautifully furnished with antiques, had a totally modern bathroom, and was quiet. Paul prepared bountiful breakfasts for our travelling companions and us that were delicious.

I can't say enough good things about our stay at the Bay Hotel and its proprietor, Paul, a delightful raconteur and genial host.

Room Tip: Room 5 was, I believe, where we stayed, and it was perfect.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Carvel P
Newport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Stayed at The Bay for 3 nights during a tour of Cornwall, and were allotted Room 8 which overlooked a dingy backyard. Room facilities and breakfast were ok, and host friendly, but at £107 per night, the rate, given the average price we were paying for vastly superior rooms elsewhere in Cornwall, was definitely overpriced - £70 maximum would be nearer the mark.

1 Thank Sandra3622
Talking Rock, Georgia
Reviewed 24 May 2014

What a great time we had at the Bay Hotel with Paul and Gino! We arrived a day early and did not know if a room would be available, however Paul was very accommodating. Having read some of the "anti Gino" comments from previous reviewers, I do have to say that Gino was one of the highlights of our stay. He smelled wonderful, was respectful of guests and only "loved" on you if you initiated the contact. Paul was charming as well. I loved hearing the stories about Martin Clunes and the Doc Martin folks, as well as Port Isaac history and points of interest. The room was very pleasant. We had a very comfortable king bed which was difficult to find in Cornwall. Shower and water pressure were great. Breakfast was delicious! Best bread I've ever had. In contrast to a previous review that I read, we very much enjoyed the restaurant/bar directly in front of The Bay. Good food and convenient. No rowdy drunks during our entire stay! This is a great place and we look forward to returning on our next trip to the UK.

1 Thank Ron B
Reviewed 20 May 2014 via mobile

Amazing hotel. Amazing location with direct access to walks by the sea. The owner/manager and his dog were both lovely. The room was well equipped (we even had a jacuzzi bathtub!). The breakfast was a standard English breakfast (very tasty!). I would definitely come back to this place again!

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
#1 of 4 in Port Isaac
St. Moritz Hotel
St. Moritz Hotel
#1 of 4 in Wadebridge

Been to The Bay Hotel? Share your experiences!