“As good as I've tasted”

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 30 December 2013 via mobile

My wife had smoked haddock which she described as "perfect".

I had fillet steak. Now, I'm used to fillet steak being tender; unfortunately it's often tasteless. With rump steak it's usually the other way round. This was excellent on both counts and quite delicious - as good as I've tasted.

I also found the staff courteous and helpful. We will eat there again.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,121)

Reviewed 28 December 2013

...not quite as good as it used to be.

We were down on holiday and visited twice for lunch and once in the evening. Staff were very friendly but at lunchtimes they were quite hard to attract as they gathered behind the counter - the place wasn't very busy on one occasion. Having said that on our last visit they managed to find us a table for an hour before somebody else arrived on a very busy day, some rest'ts wouldn't have done this.

Food was good as usual but was let down by some very average steamed veg (last year this would have been excellent) and a creme brulee which was supposed to have been a Baileys version but we tasted nothing to be honest.

The place was as clean and welcoming as normal but the food has drifted somewhat.

1  Thank GLT66
Reviewed 21 December 2013

Cannot understand previous reviewers comments. How can you be confused about the food offering when it is presented in its raw state in front of your very eyes to make your own personal choice, can only think they have no culinary experience, if you cannot make a decision from beautiful freshly sourced produce and you need a menu to tantalise your taste buds you probably don't have any! We had a FANTASTIC meal here for my birthday in october, what a fabulous idea to be able to walk in and look at a counter of beautifully presented fresh food and choose what you would like to be cooked for your dinner! Always something we love about our travels around Italy and Spain so this was the draw for us to eat at the Seafood Cafe and we were not disappointed. The fish (including skate and monkfish) was extremely fresh and perfectly cooked, the wine chilled and served in an ice bucket was a great accompaniment. Although I had not ordered a sweet, the chef sent out a special plate for me, with a birthday message piped around the rim which was a very nice touch! The value of the meal and wine was excellent. We really enjoyed our evening at the Seafood Cafe, and would be more than happy to have the opportunity to eat here again, unfortunately we live many miles away in Suffolk, but welcome the concept of fresh produce and creativity....if you need a menu I'm sure they would also be very happy to help!!!!

Reviewed 12 December 2013

There is a menu at the front of the cafe before you go in - however when we sat down the waiter said to us that there was no menu - we just choose a fish, a side of potatoes (any other sides are extra) and a sauce. There were options that we realised afterwards were available but we had felt unsure whether it was available.

The fish I chose was basically cooked and the sauce I also chose was very buttery and not well seasoned. Choosing the fish with extra sides and sauce seems to be the more expensive options so I just felt we were misled somewhat and all the options weren't clear to us. What they do seemed fairly bland - I would possibly go back there but with the hindsight of asking for other options that were not as clear at the time.

1  Thank jinx37
Reviewed 9 December 2013 via mobile

All in all good fresh fish cooked well, nice wine all at a good price with first class service and very pleasant place next time we are in st Ives we will be back