“Great range of fish”

Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Colchester, United Kingdom
“Great range of fish”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Good atmosphere and friendly efficient staff on the evening we visited. Worth trying the fresh fish - don't be put off by being invited to choose - even if it is un-Brit-like. Staff will happily advise.

4 Thank Tom706

“Fantastic food and has a great feel ”
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

Eat here food is great and I highly recommend the mussels. Great atmosphere and a great food and great survive it should be number one. Eat here!

4 Thank Yazzy1
Manchester, United Kingdom
“A different approach to fish”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Great place. Choose your fish ( don't be put off by the tired choice in the display the fish that is cooked is really fresh),choose how it is cooked add a sauce or dressing and wait. Great concept truly seasonal food.The restaurant is buzzing, book or be disappointed!

They do meat too.

6 Thank rabbitingon
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Probably the nicest seafood in St Ives”
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We eat here every time we go to St Ives and it's always good, well nearly always. We had one meal (out of about 10-12) that wasn't great but we put it down to an off day and they cleared our bill etc. Fresh seafood, good ales and nice staff.

• Visited September 2013
4 Thank Adler4879
Cornwall UK
“Very strange ordering system.....I like a menu!”
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Having researched the menu on their website my partner and I were really looking forward to trying this place out. Within minutes of being seated I was starting to regret our choice of dinner venue. The waitress asked if we'd eaten there before, we hadn't, she then went on to explain the ordering process which is quite frankly strange to say the least. We were handed a drinks menu, which the waitress took our order from and then it was explained that there is no food menu. Starters and side dishes were listed on a board on the wall. We were instructed that to order our food we would need to go back upstairs to the fish/meat counter. There was a good selection of fresh fish and meat available, all served with a potato option included in the price. Side dishes of vegetables, salad, sauces etc were priced extra.
I chose a fillet steak which I asked to be cooked rare, garlic & rosemary crushed potatoes and I ordered a side of vegetables. My partner chose monkfish fillet, with a Mediterranean sauce & mash.
We returned to our table downstairs to find our bottle of red wine, unopened, with 2 glasses, ready to pour for ourselves.
The food arrived promptly and looked ok. As soon as I cut in to my steak I could tell it was overcooked, definitely not rare. One side was more 'charred' from the griddle than the other. I returned the steak to the kitchen and waited for another one to be cooked which meant unfortunately my partner had finished his main course by the time I got mine. The vegetables were very plain carrots, broccoli, cauliflower & mangetou, nothing imaginative going on with them at all. The new steak was cooked better but was over peppered. Dessert of 'dark chocolate cheesecake' whilst tasty, it was definitely not what I would have calked dark. I was expecting something really dark and rich. It was quite 'milky'.
Overall a really disappointing evening. We are regular visitors to The Porthminster Cafe, which in my opinion is worth the extra cost. We won't be returning to The seafood Cafe again I'm afraid

3 Thank DebbieInCornwall