“It is what it is.......”

Bay St. Ives Bay Hotel
Ranked #12 of 21 Hotels in St Ives
GreenLeadersBronze level
Hampshire
“It is what it is.......”
Reviewed 6 November 2012 via mobile

This Hotel does exactly what it says on the tin. It offers budget breaks and delivered in line with my expectations.
To some specifics: The position of the hotel is fantastic. Great views over sandy beach, short (hilly) walk into town and close to the train station which services the coastal branch line to Penzance (£8 return for 4 people return with Group Saver!)
The room was a little tired and ready for the refit scheduled for 2013. However it was big enough and I slept fine which is always the acid test for me.
Dining: Yes you are adjacent to other diners - only a problem if you are sat next to guests who spend meal times moaning (if they want 5 star then they need to spend 5 star money!) Breakfast was good; normal array of cereals and juices, then order what you want from the cooked menu - all good. Dinner was a bit low budget, in line with expectations. That said I enjoyed all three evening meals and the staff were prepared to do a bit of mix and match within reason including additional portions if required.
Agnes is worthy of particular mention - she looked after us very well!
Entertainment: It was just old fashioned good fun. Bingo and a General Knowledge quiz followed by an abortive attempt to get the guests line dancing.

In summary....book this hotel and go with an open mind. The price
point for this Hotel should guide your expectations so adjust them accordingly.

Would I go again? Absolutely with an open mind and conscious of the value for money offered.

• Stayed October 2012
2 Thank EdmontonPearl
gm123stives, General Manager at Bay St. Ives Bay Hotel, responded to this review, 8 November 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. As you quite rightly state we are not and do not say that we are 5 star in the building stakes, However what Shearings do offer is value for money and the staff offer friendly service which is value in itself.
As can be seen from previous reports many people confirm that we offer a warm friendly welcome to all and try to offer enjoyable breaks here in St Ives.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (236)
Bowness-on-Windermere, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 November 2012

Our first visit here and had paid a little extra for a sea view room and it was a WOW! The food was lovely and staff so pleasant and efficient. The entertainment was Shearings usual standard . . .but fitting for the holiday mood and we won at bingo ! A little disappointed there was no entertainment on Friday? We would recommend this lovely hotel thanks for a great break.

Room Tip: We had room 3 sea views ground floor . . great!
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
gm123stives, General Manager at Bay St. Ives Bay Hotel, responded to this review, 6 November 2012
Thank you for your lovely review. I do agree that the views that we have from the hotel overlooking Porthminster beach are stunning and well worth any money. It is good to hear that you enjoyed your break, and I will pass on your comments to the staff. The weather here as I write is glorious sunshine so I hope that you will consider a visit again to St Ives in the not too distant future as it is stunning whatever the season.
Wolverhampton, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 November 2012

Had a very nice stay at the Terrace.
Location was very handy if you don't mind the walk up hill but it really was not too bad!! we popped down in to St Ives many times.
Food was fine nothing grand but served very nicely. Three courses, tried the soup once wasn't taken with. After some one had reccomended the salad I thought I would try one and yes they were good. I thought that the puddings came out best always a nice homemade one with nice custaurd.
The staff were very friendly and very helpfull! We didn't meet Craig as he was on holiday!!! but we were well catered for from all the other staff.
Our room was a good size at the back of the hotel, there was no noise, plenty of hot water and the room itself was warm.
I really enjoyed our time there and thought that for the money paid it was well worth it!!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
Glad to hear that the staff ran the ship well in my absence while I was enjoying my own holiday.I must say that St Ives is beautiful at any time of the year.The trips that Shearings run to this hotel and many more within the group always offer great value for money. May I take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to write this review it is greatly appreciated.
Yeovil, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 October 2012

Just returned after 3 night stay, Fri - Mon (21st Oct '12). What this hotel lacks in decor or more top grade beds, MORE than makes up for in :- a) Location. b) Hospitality by all staff. c) Lovely food (roast beef on the last night had best flavour gravy I've ever had). Porridge was superb too.
I would advise sea-view room (as we had) but bear in mind the road outside is quite noisy, so I would suggest turn off the radiator (much too warm for my liking) and close windows at night. (Although that's a pity really as you're so close to beach edge you can hear waves breaking).
For the cost Shearings are charging you can't fault it.

Room Tip: Choose Sea view (but close windows at night because of the road).
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank EllieYeovil
gm123stives, General Manager at Bay St. Ives Bay Hotel, responded to this review, 26 October 2012
It is nice that you chose St Ives Bay Hotel and that you enjoyed your stay.I will pass on your comments to all the staff as this will please them alot. I will also pass on your praise to the chef he and his team will be delighted. I do hope that you will chose to come to St Ives again as it is such a beautiful spot, and also visit us again.
Shearings are always looking to give value for money and there are many special deals available at the moment, there maybe one out there that appeals.
manchester
Reviewed 16 October 2012

We have just returned home from our 6th visit to the St Ives Bay Hotel..
Everything was just as good as our previous visits..
The staff go out of their way to be helpful. Craig ( the Manager ) and Caroline are the most kind and helpful people you could meet, nothing is too much trouble for them.
The food in the restaurant is delicious, always piping hot.. for a change, we always try one of the chef's tasty salads, they are lovely.. the girl that served us, was very quick and efficient, and also friendly.
Our bedroom was very clean and comfortable.. we always pay extra for a sea-view room, so I am unable to comment on the ordinary rooms..
We will definately visit this hotel again..:-)

Room Tip: Sea-View rooms are the best....
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SwintonLancs
gm123stives, General Manager at Bay St. Ives Bay Hotel, responded to this review, 18 October 2012
Thank you for returning to us here in St Ives and thank you for taking the time to write this review. We value all our customers and it is great that you feel happy to keep returning. I am glad that you enjoy the chefs piping hot food and you are quite right about the salads. Many people think they are taking the lighter smaller option for dinner but Clive prides himself in serving large hearty salads. Give us a call before your next visit and we will be more than happy to make arrangements for you to enjoy another stay in beautiful St Ives. The company are looking to refurbish areas of the hotel in 2013 so please come back and see the changes for yourselves, it will be great to hear your views.
Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 September 2012

myself,husband.mum and dad stayed at this hotel in august,the start of the holiday was not good we were given the keys to our rooms,our room was average but my mum and dads was terrible.
I complained straight away to the manageress who quickly and efficiently dealt with the matter and found them another room that was beautiful,i then asked if my husband and i could change to another room and we too were given a lovely room.After this our holiday was perfect,food excellant,entertainment very good and staff polite,friendly and helpful also reception staff and not forgetting the housekeepers.
I have complained to shearings themselfs because the hotel needs revamping which i think is being done in 2013.I do feel sorry for the manager,manageress and staff because their the ones on the front line and they have to deal with customers complaints (and i must say they do this well) and they do the best they can with what they have but it is not their fault, it is the fault of shearings for not keeping their hotels up to standard.Anyway we will be returning next year to hopefully a brand new looking hotel but hopefully the same staff.
mrs griffin and family

Room Tip: pay extra to have bay fronted windows with sea veiws
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank julie g
gm123stives, General Manager at Bay St. Ives Bay Hotel, responded to this review, 3 October 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. I strongly believe that if a problem is dealt with properly and in an affective manner it usually becomes a positive. I am very pleased that we could turn your holiday around and that you will be returning again. The views from the superior rooms are very special. Please give me a call before your next visit and we will endeavour to make it better than the last. The latest news we have is that refurbishment work will be taking place in 2013, so come and see for yourselves.
Leicester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 September 2012

As per the title I'm wondering if we were in the same hotel as some of the reviewers. Hotel was clean,well lit,and our room tidied daily.Entertainment catered for the age group that was resident during our stay.
Meals were excellent served by VERY polite,efficient helpful staff as were ALL the staff including the waiter who visited every table to inquire who wanted drinks with their meal.
Excursions were very good with the drivers being local therefore giving a real insight into the Cornish way of life.
Reading the criticisms it appears that I am easily pleased or the critics were wrong and I feel its the latter. Will visit again and recommend.

Room Tip: Select a room away from road to the rear or ask the binmen to sssssssh.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Hammy Y
As we all know everyone has their own views on anything in life and it is great to hear that you have found the hotel to be to your satisfaction. The staff work hard to try and make sure that everyone has a great stay.
Thanks you for taking the time to post this review and we look forward to welcoming you again in the near future. Give the hotel a call and any requests that you may have can then be attended to, to try to make your next stay even better than the last.