“Amazing value”

Bay St. Ives Bay Hotel
Ranked #14 of 20 Hotels in St Ives
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 18 December 2012

I really cannot comprehend how the holiday is supplied at half board, at such a price, especially if you take into account the 4 free drinks a night. The room was very good, clean, refurbished, well heated, and the bed was very comfortable. It had a bath with a shower. The room had an amazing view overlooking Portminster sandy beach, out across the bay to Godrevy lighthouse. Early evening on the second day I was opening the wardrobe door when something caught my eye from the window. When I looked a dolphin (porpoise?) leapt out of the water. I was stunned, it was as close to me as it could get and still be in the sea. It moved away down the Portminster beach and then two leapt out together. There were more than two milling around but I could not tell how many. When I'm holiday I always look out to sea hoping to see something but have only ever seen the odd seal (still wonderful). I never expected to see one from my bedroom. The dolphins hung around long enough for my father and (when we went down early for a drink before dinner) other guests to see them. Food was good, with 3 choices and I was never hungry. We always sat at the same table which I like. For breakfast I was also pleased to see it was self service: starters of juice and cereals (porridge in my case). The only very minor issue is maybe to have a little more room between tables but having said that we chatted to our neighbors but then again if further apart it would not have been so easy to chat. I did wonder about the 'free' 4 drinks a night and what they meant as far as other guests it would attract but it was all very gentile and obtaining drinks was not a problem. There was a choice of Worthington or Carling for beer (a pint, note half is counted as drink). Other drinks that could be had are wine (glass) or spirit with a mixer. You are given a 'weekly' card that has days of the week with 4 circles underneath. The card has the drink options on the back. You can pay a supplement to get other more expensive drinks. The bar areas are recently refurbished and there was entertainment for 2 of the nights we were there that started with bingo (3 cards?) then a quiz and then the entertainment withsongs from the 50's onwards. Its not really my cup of tea - apart from Apache which was amazing - but they were very professional and the other guests (2 coach loads) appeared to really enjoy it. We were lucky with the weather being very mild with some sun and some rain. I walked over to Carbis bay and when I stepped on the beach it started to rain and when I stepped it stopped, but it was still falling over the sea - I'd never seen such an intense vista of green. St Ives is only 5 minutes from the hotel, either walked down the road or else down to the beach and under the single railway line (St Ives station below the hotel) along the sea to enter St Ives via the 'warren'. Here the houses almost hang over the sea and remind me of something very similar on the Greek island of Mykonos. I was talking to Caroline on reception about the lighthouse and she mentioned that Virginia Woolf used to stay just behind the hotel in Talland House (it is a very attractive building) and that her novel "To the lighthouse" was based her experiences here (wikipedia.org 'Many actual features from St Ives Bay are carried into the story, including the gardens leading down to the sea, the sea itself, and the lighthouse').

Room Tip: Sea view in case of passing dolphins
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
9  Thank basilbane
gm123stives, General Manager at Bay St. Ives Bay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 December 2012

This review really says it all about the stunning views, the stories behind St Ives, the weather and what is on offer with us at the hotel during the all inclusive breaks.
When reading your review I think you really get a sense of what St Ives is about, the authors and their inspirations, the wildlife that come to play in the bay, and the hotel can play a part in this by passing on some knowledge about the local area and giving those fantastic views overlooking Porthminster beach.
It goes to show that the deal is for real too which includes breakfast and dinner, entertainment and four free drinks per night. Shearings have many of these fantastic offers available for early 2013 so why not give one a try.
I am glad to hear that you and your father enjoyed the stay you had with us and hope that you will return again one day. Thank you for taking the time to complete this review.

There are newer reviews for Bay St. Ives Bay Hotel

Reviewed 16 December 2012

We recently spent a pleasant weekend on a Shearings coach holiday and stayed at the Bay St Ives hotel in picturesque St Ives. It was our first visit to St Ives and our first holiday with Shearings and we were suitable impressed with both.
The Shearings coach we travelled on was luxurious with plenty of leg room and facilities such as a drop down table with cup holder and a pocket for magazines, etc. The hotel was lovely with a nice lounge overlooking the beach and a nice restaurant with excellent staff serving a good selection of dishes quickly and efficiently. There was even a vegetarian breakfast option which is a definite plus as I usually have to settle for eggs and beans on toast. In fact vegetarians are well catered for at dinner also as there was always a delicious option available. My only criticism of the restaurant is that the tables are quite small and it was a bit uncomfortable trying to get a bit of elbow room and fit everything on the table.
All the staff were kind and helpful and you didnt have to queue long to get a drink even though everyone got 4 free drinks each day. The free drinks were very welcome and even a pint of beer was only classed as one drink, also if you ordered a spirit, you got a mixer with it as well.
We didnt pay extra for a superior room as we are not bothered about a view, we are more concerned with the facilities and we were not disappointed there either, the bathroom was large as was the wardrobe and plenty of other storage space. Two pillows each were supplies together with a further spare pillow in the wardrobe, The tv was a modern flat screen and the hospitality tray was packed with several little cartons of milk and there was also decaff coffee to choose from as well.
Our tour driver Chris was excellent and he predicted with much accuracy the time it would take to get to each destination.
All in all it was an excellent weekend and we have already booked another Shearings holiday in another Bay hotel.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
16  Thank jmtigercrewe
gm123stives, General Manager at Bay St. Ives Bay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 December 2012

Its good to hear that your first experience of Shearings was a positive one and really good to hear that you have already booked your next break. There are many great deals to be had at the moment and even the very good offer of booking your next holiday before you leave the break you are already on and qualify for some great discount.
With reference to the meals we cater for many dietary requirements whether low fat, vegetarian or gluten free to name a few, the chefs are very careful to make sure that all needs are catered for.
St Ives is a beautiful place at any time of year and it would be great to welcome you again so that you can discover more of its hidden treasures.
Thank you for taking the time to write this review.

Reviewed 10 December 2012

This was a four day trip with Shearings Coach Company . On arrival we where greeted by the friendly Staff. One has to find your room by ourselves. On entering the bedroom we noticed that we had got a room on the side of the hotel with only views of the side of hotel.The wardrobe was big enough for two people. On a three day visit.The room had got no bath just a shower and toilet
the smallest shower,toilet room we had seen. Also we had what looked liked a heated towel rail which we could see it was electrical connected.We also had a portable radiator which we turned on immediately.Our first meal was good and this was maintained throughout the four days The entertainment we found to be a little stale. With bingo and some singing taking place. After couple of days it was becoming obvious that the heating was not up to the required level to keep everyone happy. This was also the case in the bedroom. We left the portable radiator on all the time we were there.The towel rail in our bathroom we never found a way to turn it on.Asked if i would go again i would say yes but in the summer time.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Butch907
gm123stives, General Manager at Bay St. Ives Bay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2012

On arrival by self drive or coach we always give a welcome talk to try to make you feel at home as soon as you arrive and give directions to your room.
The entertainment is varied and yes a game of bingo is played for those who enjoy it.
The towel rails do work but when the light is on it is off and visa versa, I cannot explain why this is but it is true.
I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your meals the staff will be pleased to hear these comments.
You say that you would visit again in the summer time so give the hotel a call and the booking can be made through us and your requests can be dealt with directly.
Thank you for taking the time to write this review

Reviewed 2 December 2012

first impressions of hotel was a bit run down and the stay confirmed that. the hotel location near the top of hill gave a wonderfull view of the bay .the rooms our party had were all simular some had showers ours did not ,the rooms are clean beds clean but rooms are in need of remedial work as is rest of hotel .the good points are the staff could not fault the one bit wonderful lot .food was very good and enough to eat if you wanted more we were told to just ask would i recommend it yes but would point out the need of remedial works to hotel

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank philip p
gm123stives, General Manager at Bay St. Ives Bay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2012

All rooms are different, some having showers, some having baths and some have both. Requests can be made for either and if mentioned whilst here we do our best to accomodate the best that we can to meet your needs.
All the staff do their utmost to ensure holiday enjoyment and the chefs work hard to provide good hot and plentiful food.
The company are looking at some refurbishment work in 2013 and this is ongoing throughout the company.

Reviewed 2 December 2012

We stayed in this hotel as part of a Shearings 5 day holiday in November. We are a married couple but stayed at the hotel with a groups of friends and family. First of all the positives. On arrival I asked to change rooms as we had no shower in the first room allocated. The receptionist was very helpful and gave us a different room with a shower immediately. The two bedrooms we saw had adequate furniture and plenty of cupboard space. The room we used had comfy beds and was warm. The location of the hotel is good with lovely views over the bay. We found most of the staff to be friendly and helpful. Our waitress a young Thai woman was particulary pleasant and hard working. The manager is visible and we found him to be friendly, The evening entertainment was excellent with singing from the 60's and 70's and comedy. Personally I could have done without the three games of bingo each night but that is just a personal preference. The bar staff were efficient and service at the bar was good. There was a good choice of drinks available for the drinks tokens. The food was good with a choice of at least three different dishes for each of the three courses of the evening meal. It was served hot and with a smile.
However despite the above this hotel does have some significant problems. It is in need of significant refurbishment. (Some areas have been done). The bedroom we used had substantial black mould on the windows and on the bedroom walls. The carpet was old, worn and badly stained. The mattress on one of the beds was also stained. Luckily there were three covers between me and the mattress. the bedroom was in need of a really good deep clean. The shower was dated and rusty in parts, although there was plenty of hot water. In the entertainment area some of the chairs were so badly stained that they were hardly fit to sit on. The toilets serving the main bar area smelt dreadful, again had a lot of black mould and a margarine tub was wedged between the top of one of the cubicles and the ceiling catching a water leak. As the week progressed this gradually filled up with brown liquid. Food portions served are small but in fairness when the manager greets you on the bus he does say just to ask for more. We did do this. For some meals extra food did arrive, on other occassions it did not even when requested twice. The waitress was very rushed and in my opinion just didnt have time to bring it. Tip = if you want more ask for it when you give your order and it will be brought at same time as your main portion. One day we were told we could not have any bread roll with our starter because the hotel had run out. There is some confusion over the bar times. The books in the bedrooms say it closes at 11:30, the manager said 12 when he met us on the bus and the bar in fact closed around 11:10 pm. When we asked for clarity at reception we were told staff were only paid to 11pm. However in fairness, after the first night the staff did ask if anyone wanted more drink before shutting the bar. Finally the coach - we found the none stop talking from the driver far too much. He talked all the time not just when he had something interesting to say. As a group we felt this distracted from the enjoyment of thr trips out.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank Babs501

I am surprised to read these comments as previous people have greatly praised the food and portions.
We have just had some new furniture in the lounge area which has made a great difference to this lounge.
Any issues regarding rooms if mentioned when here are dealt with as best we can, and I can assure you that action could have been taken at the time but I thank you for bringing to my attention so that it can be dealt with accordingly.
Thank you for taking the time to complete this review.

Reviewed 2 December 2012

We travelled from Yorkshire with our Driver Kevin To the bay Hotel St Ives We left Yorkshire at about 10 30 am , it took us till 7. pm to get there but we did have two 45 minutes breaks , the weather was atrocious ,Kevin kept all the passengers well informed of all the intersting places and sights that we passed through .
The hotel staff made all the guests welcome ,nothing was too much trouble for them,and to say three coaches pulled up outside the hotel at the same time the staff sorted us all out with our rooms in very good time .The food excellent and served by very polite staff
The entertainment in the lounge was first class, we could not fault the hotel .

Room Tip: Pay that bit extra for a sea view room .
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank keith p

Yorkshire to Cornwall is quite a journey but then its all the better for having the knowledge that you are in safe hands with Shearings taking the strain of the driving. Its good to hear that Kevin kept you entertained for the journey.
Also glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and I would like to thank you for taking the time to write this review.

Reviewed 1 December 2012

Every day since our return to Manchester on Friday 23rd we have said what a wonderful holiday we had at the St Ives Bay Hotel. Highly recommend it and we will certainly go back in the future. The journey, although long, was great, the Hotel & staff were very good, food excellent & plentiful and our driver Eddie, amazing!!!. His tours were very entertaining and his knowledge of Cornwall made our holiday very interesting.

Thank you to you all for a lovely time!!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 1Cristina
gm123stives, General Manager at Bay St. Ives Bay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2012

St Ives is a great holiday destination whatever the season and its great to here that you enjoyed your stay with us. Its also good to here that Eddie kept you entertained with his knowledge of Cornwall which helped to enhance your holiday. The journey may be long but at least with Eddie's good driving you had a safe arrival to St Ives and hopefully you will do it again in the near future. Or why not try one of the other many Shearings hotels around the British Isles for another great deal where I am sure you will find another knowledgable driver, however there is only one Eddie!.