“you dont have to be a mountain goat to stay in St Ives”

Bay St. Ives Bay Hotel
Ranked #14 of 21 Hotels in St Ives
GreenLeadersBronze level
Stockport, United Kingdom
“you dont have to be a mountain goat to stay in St Ives”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2013

The bay is a lovely base for exploring the south west, the hotel is quite tired but well run by a good team,pus the food was excellent along with the staff. I stayed there last week with my wife and we had a sea view room No 110 very spacious. It was a national holiday tour break. The down side to this lovely part of england is the hills it is not recommended for anyone bad on there legs. It is are second time at this hotel,but it will be are last as the hills are taking there toll onour aged legs.

Room Tip: We could recommend 110 with its sea view.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank woodleywag
gm123stives, General Manager at Bay St. Ives Bay Hotel, responded to this review, 26 November 2013
Its a shame to hear that the hills have won!
St Ives is a beautiful place to be whatever the season, the sunrise this morning for example was stunning.
Shearings have many locations that are on the flat Eastbourne for example so maybe this could be the next destination.
Thank you for taking the time to write this review and I hope you have many more happy holidays, whether with Shearings or National Holidays.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
west yokshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2013

After only paying £149 each and travelling from West Yorkshire, we were not expecting too much on our 4 night Tinsel and Turkey Shearings holiday, but how wrong we were. We had a wonderful driver Kevin who was very informative pointing out things of interest on our travels, and the staff at the hotel well, as others have said nothing too much trouble and yet again another mention of the lovely Caroline. My son (23) and myself (very early 50s) had a surprise upgrade to room 6. Wonderful twin with bay window and sea view. Meals were plentyful, and plenty choice,They even went out of their way to make sure my son had something he liked (he has Autism) Thankyou all for a lovely stay, hope you get your light up Christmas Jumpers made in time, lol, Merry Christmas to you all and Happy New Year even Craig (the Man City Fan) never mind lol xx

Room Tip: The sea views are amazing even in November, Great firework display for bonfire night, Worth paying t...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank force10WestYokshire
gm123stives, General Manager at Bay St. Ives Bay Hotel, responded to this review, 18 November 2013
I agree the break that you booked is good value for money. We aim to cater for any dietary requirements that come our way.
I must say that you lit up the evening with your festive jumper, Santa is a bit busy at the moment so the elves may have to help knit one in time. I still have my Manchester City Christmas hat though.
Glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and thank you for your kind review. Merry Christmas and hope to see you both again in the near future.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013

I was hoping that I would not need to write this review, however, Shearings Customer Services personnel made little attempt to understand or even acknowledge the seriousness of my complaints and I feel that I have no option but to warn other possible visitors to the St Ives Bay Hotel. This is the first, and I hope the last time that I shall have to write such a bad review.

I visited the St Ives Bay Hotel for a three nights' stay in May 2013 with a friend. We were visiting an elderly neighbour who was living in a care home in St Ives and did not think it was necessary to pay for rooms with a sea view. My friend's room was tired and old fashioned but of a much better standard than mine; it was also reasonably clean. My room (?304) overlooked a garage workshop and it was small, desperately in need of refurbishment and the hem of the curtains had comedown. An effort had been unsuccessfully made to hold it up with sticky tape. The bathroom was clean with ancient pampas green fittings and white wc seat. The plastic sliding shower door had to be lifted in order for it to be shut. We arrived fairly late, had dinner and went to bed. I noticed the next morning that the room was very dirty and on our way out asked the pleasant and efficient receptionist (?Caroline) if it could be cleaned. She later told me that the bedside table had not been dusted because I had left a walkman on it! In fact, the dirt was so bad that it had not been properly cleaned for a long time. I thanked her for getting the cleaning done unaware that it had not been thoroughly cleaned. We had not spent much time in our rooms so things had gone unnoticed. On closer inspection, the window frame was unbelievably dirty. It was filthy; all the edges covered with thick green mould and dirt together with cobwebs. The old, wood stained, window was not fit for a letting bedroom. The control to the ancient, small tv was thick with dirt and grime that had been there for many years, a small point but not acceptable. We ate our meals in the pleasant dining room but were very surprised to find that we had to share a small table with two other guests who turned out to be very nice folk, though fairly large, which made for difficult eating as the table was pushed up against a wall. The food was plain but wholesome with a fairly good selection.

All the staff were very helpful and efficient and could not be faulted, excepting, of course, the cleaners whom we did not see. I made my feelings known on the customer feedback form, although this was difficult because it was small. I received no feedback from the hotel that, maybe under the circumstances, I should have expected.

Upon returning home, I decided to complain about the standard and dirty state of the room to Customer Services at Shearings. Despite sending a picture of the window and other 'evidence', I received a bog standard letter. I rang many times in an attempt to speak to a senior person who would get things altered for future occupants of that room. I never did get to speak to a more senior person but received another, slightly less bog standard letter. At no time, did they show any surprise at the state of the room let alone the awful standard of that window. They did offer my friend and me a small discount on another Shearings holiday but I was not looking for money, I just wanted someone, anyone to admit how dreadful the room was and do something about it. I remain unconvinced that anything will be done. Finally, Shearings do not deserve the professional front of house staff that they have and I hope they move to somewhere they can be proud to represent which certainly is not the St Ives Bay Hotel!

Room Tip: Do not stay in a single room at the back You may get the one I stayed in!
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank Caroline R
gm123stives, General Manager at Bay St. Ives Bay Hotel, responded to this review, 13 November 2013
I do feel that we are approachable at the hotel and when something like this is brought to our attention we aim to deal with in the correct manner. Cleaning of rooms should be completed in a professional manner and I do not for one minute believe that the comment you say was made to explain why the bedside table was not cleaned,especially after stating that the front of house staff were professional in their approach.
Customer care department are the people who answer any correspondence so a letter would not have been sent from the hotel.
Tables for two can be requested and we try to oblige whenever possible.
I thank you for writing this review.

Travellers are raving about these St Ives hotels

Sheffield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2013

This was our second visit to the Bay this year April and October, on our last visit we had to upgrade to a sea view room as all the standard rooms were full,after a long coach journey from Yorkshire we were glad to get to our room and relax.I had emailed the hotel / shearings in advance to ask for a refurbished room as I had done on both occasions and my request was granted a lovely view of the beach and sea room 38 the only problem with the room was the shower no pressure but we made doo many thanks.We were satisfied with the food but did eat out one evening to break the holiday up, in an evening we never stayed in the hotel other guests told us they had done bingo and entertainment was supplied but not our scene so we enjoyed good old st ives bars n pubs . trips supplied were good and we enjoyed our 5 day break yet again staff were very welcoming and out waitress (young thai lady) was very good always remembered how we liked our eggs and was very efficient.Overall a great stay and we will definitely be back.

Room Tip: High floor seaview rooms great views
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sheffielder48
gm123stives, General Manager at Bay St. Ives Bay Hotel, responded to this review, 11 November 2013
Its good to hear that you were pleased that we were able to deal with your requests, we do try our best to oblige. Its also good to hear that the staff were attentive and remembered your likes at breakfast. I do believe that the staff can help to make a persons stay an enjoyable one.
Thank you for taking the time to post this review and I hope that you may return in the near future.
Wigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013

This hotel is in a great location, with views overlooking Porthminster Beach; however the hotel is in need of modernisation and is a little dated. The rooms are adequate, but the bathroom in the room we were in is in need of some TLC, with old wallpaper that is peeling off in places, and there was patches of damp in the bathroom too. The food is good with a reasonable choice on the menu every night, and the portions are quite generous; the breakfast is self-service for the cereal/juices etc., then a cooked breakfast is served at the table. The dining rooms are big but the tables are too close together, and it is difficult to move between them without disturbing other diners.

One thing that sets this hotel apart from others we have stayed in is the quality of the staff. The reception staff are realy friendly and helpful; nothing is too much trouble for them and it was a pleasure dealing with them. The waiters and waitresses are equally as good as the reception staff, the waitress we had was fast and efficient and was always smiling. I can recommend this hotel for a short break for anybody who is fairly mobile; for anybody less mobile this is not a good place to stay. It is on a hill and there is no wheelchair ramp to the entrance.

Room Tip: Choos a room with a sea view, the views are stunning.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Topdog57
gm123stives, General Manager at Bay St. Ives Bay Hotel, responded to this review, 7 November 2013
The staff try to make anyone's stay as comfortable and friendly as possible and it appears from your comments we have achieved this.
The views overlooking Porthminster beach are stunning and we are in a good location for the beach, town and local amenities alike.
Thank you for taking the time to post this review.
Telford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013

Stayed here for 7 nights in September 2013. Holiday was booked with Shearings and have already complained to them for using this hotel. Room was dirty with old beds. Curtains falling off rail, mould in windowsills, broken bath panel, dirty carpets. The rooms you see advertised are nothing like you are given!!! Having spent over £1000 for this holiday we were very disappointed in what we ended up with.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank DENISE A
As you have stated you have already made your comments known to Shearings and they have dealt with this.
I believe that we are approachable at the hotel and if there was a problem that we can address then given the opportunity we do. I do not believe the room to be dirty, tired maybe. There is a refurbishment programme in place but then Rome was not built in a day.
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2013

When traveling to a hotel used by coach companies I always lower my expectations. After all the price is lower! Well, not in this case! The hotel has wonderful views of the sea. We could hear the waves while laying in bed. The room, as was the rest of the hotel, was clean and pleasant. Our meals were delicious and the amount of food was more than enough. The chef was probably busy with the amount of people in, he did forget items of the meal. The tuna salad arrived without coleslaw on two occasions which made it dry. An egg was missing on the Wednesday and finally my breakfast kipper had no parsley on the last morning. Yes, minor points but all part of the holiday experience. However, the customer service here is exemplary. A smiling, Good Morning from staff, a joke or two from several as well. I can't praise the head receptionist, Caroline, enough. This woman is amazing and will sort any problem.
I would recommend this hotel to any fairly mobile person. It is on a hill. The lift is slow and small and there are stairs to negotiate. It is Shearings Hotel so generally the clientele will be stereotyped. Wonderful!

Room Tip: A high sea view room is lovely. I did spot two of these with doors onto a small balcony.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank xxreisexx
gm123stives, General Manager at Bay St. Ives Bay Hotel, responded to this review, 4 November 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. Please give the hotel a call when you wish to book next.
Its good to hear that you were happy with your stay and that the staff helped to make it.
I will certainly speak with the chefs about the points raised and thank you for bringing to my attention.
I look forward to seeing you again in the near future.