“Stunning views and a wonderful break - my first impressions were wrong!”

Bay St. Ives Bay Hotel
Ranked #14 of 21 Hotels in St Ives
GreenLeadersBronze level
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Stunning views and a wonderful break - my first impressions were wrong!”
Reviewed 10 August 2014

We have just returned from the Bay from positively the best holiday ever with the most lovely of hotel experiences in a clean and comfy room that overlooked one of my favourite beaches. What a room!

Like others, our first impressions of the hotel were disappointing. The hotel looked dated and the toilet area is in much need of modernisation, which is why I have given this four and not five out of five.

However, our initial concerns were overshadowed by the many positives to this holiday. I would like to apologise to airing our concerns to Shearings as to how wrong we were and to thank Shearings and the staff for making this one of the best holidays I have ever had (been staying in St Ives for 30 years and first time with Shearings).

We stayed on a four night break - my two eight year old children and me (aged 41) shared a magnificent and enormous room with views over Porthminster beach to die for! My mother and her partner stayed on the second floor.

While this hotel may need some tlc, its location and views are stunning. My room was like a ballroom and the beds were among the most clean and comfortable I have stayed in. I would sit at the table and gaze out over the beach - waking up to sunshine and sea every morning. The setting was idllyc.

The staff were wonderful - Lucie, the waitress was lovely and deserves a special mention - and even made my son's toast into soldiers! Nothing was too much to accommodate and Caroline on the reception made it clear that they could sort our every need.

The half board option was great. Breakfast and dinner wonderful - accommodating our vegetarian and children's needs.Ample food, served quickly and delicious.

Entertainment was as expected (traditional singers and dances) and my children loved the bingo!
The hotel was warm, friendly and safe and the guests were nice.

This hotel boasts an enviable location. The value for money is second to none - kept the children fed and entertained. It felt special to dine and to be served. Thanks to Shearings and the team at the Bay - we will be back!

Room Tip: Pay extra for a sea view - upgrade to a balcony if possible, for extra romance: the views are worth...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank annajn
gm123stives, General Manager at Bay St. Ives Bay Hotel, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Its great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you would like to return in the future. By doing this you will be able to see the changes that will be taking place in the public areas later this year and into the beginning on 2015, along with more rooms being refurbished.
The staff try their best to ensure that guests enjoy their stay and I will pass on your kind comments to them.
Thank you for posting this review.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (246)
Carlisle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2014

After a scary start to this Shearings holiday (when we were left standing at the pick-up point on our own for about half an hour awaiting a local taxi), we eventually arrived that night at the hotel to find a disappointing first impression. Weeds needed clearing along the front of the hotel and the decor was very dated, and - worse - chipped paintwork/plaster/wallpaper.
We had a lovely view from our 2nd floor room but the ventilation was abysmal - small window opening, and we were virtually baked the whole week, even after being provided with a fan by the very helpful night porter (the fan didn't help). However, the room was clean and the lovely updated bathroom also very clean but again, like a sauna.
The staff, it has to be said, are brilliant and very hardworking, especially Bella our waitress. Although the tables in the restaurant area are very small and close together, mealtimes were pleasant and the food was quite good considering the large parties involved.
This hotel could be wonderful, in such a good location in a lovely resort, but (as with some other reviews) needs a lot of updating to bring it up to modern standards that everyone experiences abroad..
Sadly, we feel Shearings are not for us in future.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank cleo037
gm123stives, General Manager at Bay St. Ives Bay Hotel, responded to this review, 10 August 2014
Thank you for the kind comments regarding the staff I will pass them on.
With reference to refurbishment work being carried out within the hotel, a number of rooms have been upgraded each year and more will be done again this January. October sees the start of the public area work being carried out.

Travellers are raving about these St Ives hotels

Nantwich
Reviewed 7 August 2014

My wife and I had booked a standard room for the one night at this establishment. Upon arrival we found few places to park the vehicle. Having raised queries with the reception I was informed that parking was limited. Nonetheless the receptionist kindly showed us to an available parking space. Once we had arrived at the front desk I was asked to pay for the room up front, which took me by surprise as this seemed a little unorthodox. It was at this point that we were informed of the £5 parking charge. I later found no information pertaining to limited parking or charges for parking on the hotels web site - certainly we were not impressed with the lack of transparency here and I promptly requested that the money be reimbursed. At the time there was no manager available for me to speak to, and the receptionist whom declared she was the most senior figure available seemed reluctant to meet my request. The situation was resolved later however and a refund was duly accepted. I found that the whole ambience of the hotel was very dated and the corridors tended to smell rather musky also. The website claims digital TV in every standard room, but again this was not the case here; we were treated to a typical box TV reminiscent of the 90's complete with aerial and mobile phone interference! Certainly this hotel needs to implement some major upgrades if it is to appeal to a wider audience beyond the Over 70's. Responses to similar reviews suggest that upgrades and refurbs are on going albeit we saw limited evidence of this. Information, particularly hidden costs should be made transparent on marketing materials also

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Vanderklam
We cater for a wide range of ages.
The hotel is undergoing refurbishment and having 85 rooms means that it takes time to complete all of them. The front of house areas are planned for October this year and the dining room being refurbished January 2015 together with more bedrooms to add to those already done, a total of 50 rooms will have been completed by January 2015.
The hotel does have an undercover garage which parking is charged at £5.00 per day which gives you a guaranteed parking bay, which is valuable in a place like St Ives and this is stated on the booking site used by Shearings.
Largs, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2014

My daughter and I stayed here for a week with a coach tour.so we did have reservations about the hotel as some reviews were not very good. However we found it to be very clean and comfortable throughout and although we did not have a sea view the bedroom was fine and had tea and coffee making facilities which was nice. The food was lovely and there was a good choice which was always well presented.
The staff were very kind, helpful and obliging and a real pleasure to speak to. There was entertainment every evening which was very good and it was a great time to mix and mingle with other travellers. Its location was very nice with beautiful views over the beach. It was situated on a hill but most people managed to walk down and if necessary got a taxi back. It is very near the centre of St. Ives which has lovely shops, restaurants, cafes and bars.

Room Tip: The rooms with a sea view were larger and did have lovely views over the bay.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Janet14M
gm123stives, General Manager at Bay St. Ives Bay Hotel, responded to this review, 26 July 2014
Thank you for your kind comments and I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay .I will pass on your comments to all the staff.
St Ives is a beautiful place to have a holiday whatever the season.
Yeovil, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Just come back from 3 day short break. We went independently so were not reliant on any body for transport. Firstly the room we had was quite good, room 105. We had prebooked sea view room and it cost us approx another £42.00 plus £10 to ensure room we got was one requested. It was also £5.oo per day to park car although when garage is sold don't know where people will park. Quite a lot of steps to get into hotel and also many stairs inside. Just don't know how people who are infirm manage. The food was ok but nothing to write home about. One night I requested a tuna salad, it looked like the kitchen had just emptied a whole can of tuna on a dish, added a couple of slices of orange ( what for I don't know) and presented on a plate with dried up cucumber, tasteless lettuce and tomato. Oh well different I suppose. Felt sorry for staff because they seemed to work very hard. We were speaking to people in their mid eighties who said the whole place made them feel sad or a care home. Pity really, as the view from our bedroom was fantastic which did help make up for lack of amenities. Warning wifi only works in reception and not very good then. The whole hotel needs kicking and screaming into the present or it will get left behind. People now want quality for their Monet. When compared to 3 star hotels abroad it does not stand a chance. On a positive note though, the harbour side etc in st ives is v prett.

Room Tip: Ask doe room 105. V.good room
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank brayonie03
gm123stives, General Manager at Bay St. Ives Bay Hotel, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Its good to hear that you enjoyed room 105, the views from there are stunning.
I am surprised to hear about your issue with the salad as the chef is renowned for the salads.
The hotel does have WIFI in the lounge area and reception.
The hotel caters for a wide range of customers and many are returning guests. The hotel has had and is still in the process of having refurbishment work taking place, it just takes a bit of time.
Thank you for writing this review.
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

The hotel is situated in a great location we went the half board option full English breakfast was the better meal as me and my friend had the steak and kidney pie signature dish that was a steamed pudding with only gravy inside was a joke absolutely discusting so we ate out the next day and we're glad we did, on are arrival we had to pay £5 per day for parking with we thought should have been free as we already paid £270 for 2 nights , then when we arrived in room was soo hot we were on 3rd floor we asked for a fan as there was no air con we got a tiny desk fan that didn't make any difference at all so was uncomfortable being there , then I noticed the bathroom sweet was still original avocado 70's style plus no shower only bath so I asked at reception they offered me a jug so I could make my own shower I just laughed as I couldn't believe what she said , money definitely needs to be spent in this department as rooms have been with flat screen TVs etc so why leave the bathrooms ???? It doesn't match or look right, also too many doors to go through on each level is around 5 doors??? This is the second time we stsyed here now but is a Shame we will be staying in a b&b next time as works out cheaper and possibly better experience

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
7 Thank James C
The hotel is old Victorian buildings so as you can appreciate all rooms are different. Some have baths, some have showers and some have both. There has been and still is a refurbishment programme in place and a lot of work has been carried out over the past two/three years. Special requests can be made at the time of booking regarding showers etc. The company also have a policy where a room can be secured for a nominal charge so that the room can be tailored for your requirements.
Poole, Dorset
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

Prime location and beautiful views. Unfortunately the hotel does not capitalise on it's prime position. The hotel staff are friendly and attentive but the common areas in this hotel are very dated and in need of complete refurbishment. We ate in the hotel on the first night and that was enough! There is not much I can say that would be complimentary about the food so I won't, apart from it was hot. Also the first evening our room was very hot and there is no air con. Out bathroom suite was also avocado green and similar to one in my parents house circa 1980!

Stayed July 2014
3 Thank Dazza_Poole
The hotel has had some refurbishment work carried out over the past two years and more is planned for the end of this year. As you can appreciate these things take time.
Many of our guests are returning and are happy with the food, service and hotel in general having read the comment cards for the week many praised the food.