“Excellent hotel”
Review of The Regent

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in St Ives
The Regent
Ranked #12 of 21 Hotels in St Ives
Chippenham, United Kingdom
“Excellent hotel”
Reviewed 6 October 2013

Excellent hotel with the most amazing views of St. Ives bay. The breakfast is probably the best hotel breakfast we have every had, plenty of choice and simply delicious. Our room was spotlessly clean although compact with a small shower room, but the view compensated. Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Tracey G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Spain
Reviewed 3 October 2013

My parents booked The Regent as a surprise for myself and partner, the four of us drove down from the North West early September. I'd actually fallen asleep in the car and woke on our approach to St Ives to the realisation that we would be staying in the exact same location of my childhood holidays in the 80's!

My Dad parked easily in The Regent's car park so it was easy enough to get the luggage into reception, where we were greeted by Keith and Sandi, the same owners from when I was a kid! This immediately made us all feel at home!

We had rooms 9 and 10 just up the first flight of stairs. I can't remember if we had 9 or 10 but my jaw dropped as soon as I saw the view from our room! Absolutely stunning view of the beach and harbour. There was no need for pictures on the walls as we couldn't stop looking out of the window! I was very happy to have the use of Free WIFI in the rooms, I was able to check emails and show friends and family what a beautiful place we were staying at.

After a short rest in the room, we were straight out to explore. Keith was so helpful suggesting places of interest and interesting facts about the area.

On our first day the sun was shining and we walked along the beach road - to my surprise Fat Willy's Surf Shack is still there after all these years. Of course I stopped to buy a t-shirt like I had in the 80's! It was warm enough to sunbathe on the harbour wall or deckchairs.

After a good walk we decided on food at The Balcony, they do a really fresh salad and yummy chocolate brownies.

We'd had a long drive plus myself and partner had flown to UK from the Canary Islands the same day and we just wanted hot showers and a good rest. The bathroom had complimentary soaps and lotion which was handy as I'd left mine in the car and didn't fancy going to get them. The shower was modern and powerful. I thought it was very economical that there was a toilet roll dispenser and I loved heating my clothes up on the radiator in the bathroom of an evening. Fluffy towels and fresh ones provided the next day although we didn't need them.

The room was immaculate and the bed was very comfortable, so we were bright eyed and bushy tailed for breakfast early the next morning. Sandi was always very helpful at breakfast time, and there was a really good selection of food, we tried to pick different things everyday. Even for fussy eaters like myself and my Mum, there was plenty of selection. I liked the way The Regent use locally sourced products for their breakfasts, plus they were delicious and set us up for the day.

The weather turned but we still braved the open top bus and visited Lands End, had dinner at the Lands End Hotel and had our photo at the Lands End signpost. It started to rain on the bus on the way back to St Ives, but it's all about the experience. How many people can say they went on an open top bus in the rain? You only live once after all!

Another day we 'hiked' up to the little chapel on the hill where we had amazing views of the bay. There are plenty of shops and restaurants to browse plus one evening we watched a brass band playing 'Gangnam Style' on the harbour, which was quite amusing.

Overall we had an amazing time and after telling my partner about this gem of a place and memories as a kid it was brilliant for him to see it for himself.

Keith and Sandi really looked after us and I would recommend The Regent for a family break or couples getaway. 10 out of 10!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank ToriaTravels
Okehampton
Reviewed 29 September 2013 via mobile

Excellent value for money, very friendly owners who looked after us wonderfully, very clean, room a little small but comfortable. The breakfast was delicious and set us up for the day. Thank you so much would definitely recommend you.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Tracianny
Midlands, England
Reviewed 19 September 2013

We have been visiting St Ives for many years and by far, The Regent is the best place we've stayed. Sandi and Keith, the proprietors, could not be more hospitable, helpful and accommodating - nothing is too much trouble. Keith is a mine of information regarding St Ives and the surrounding area.

FOOD: The breakfasts are superb! So many cereals to choose from, you'd have to stay a month to try them all. There is so much choice of menu and everything is freshly cooked and prepared to order. The superb quality reflects this fact. This sometimes means a small delay, but who cares when the views are spectacular and you know you are waiting for a treat! The scrambled eggs and smoked salmon are wonderful, as is the smoked haddock, and everyone should at least try the Hog's Pudding. If I had a pound for every time poor Sandi had to explain what it is . . .. Keith wondered if we didn't like his locally sourced sausages, but we had to admit with the generous portions, and variety, we couldn't manage to eat it all, so something had to give. The sausages are delicious!

LOCATION: Perfect! Everyone knows that St Ives is very steep and hilly, and it's an easy downhill short stroll to the various beaches, and it's a hard pull up 'cardiac hill' to return at the end of a day's surfing. However, being set into the cliff above the town means the views are spectacular. Looking out every window is like watching a moving piece of art. For those who do not drive, it's conveniently next door to the bus depot (which is not at all intrusive) and just a very short stroll to the branch train line.

ACCOMMODATION: This is an old house - and has the wonderful character of an old house. This means the rooms are comfortable and more than adequate, but not overly large. The stairs are quite steep and narrow and they cannot lend themselves to a lift. Sandi and Keith have kept the old charm of the building and have resisted the modern trait of minimalist bland, plus, there are no superfluous 'fluffy cushions' on beds (my pet hate!). For that, they are to be applauded.

Everywhere is spotlessly clean. The plumbing is in keeping with the olde worlde charm of the building and it adds to the character. No power showers here, but if that's what you want, there are plenty of other "modern" places to choose from - just just won't get the same views, character, hospitality, location and wonderful food.

Arriving by car, the added attraction to us is the availability of car parking - a rare luxury this close to the centre of the town.

RECOMMENDATION: I would, without reservation, readily recommend The Regent Hotel to my best friend, and we have already verbally booked our next year's stay.

Room Tip: Each room has something to recommend it.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
10 Thank A_TAdvisor_Member
Bath
Reviewed 7 September 2013

The most emphatically positive statement that can be made about The Regent is that the views over the harbour that may be enjoyed from the hotel are spectacular. From our room on the top floor of the building the finest views of St. Ives I have seen from any hotel or guest house were afforded. It was possible to watch the town gradually awaken in the mornings and the atmosphere steadily change as evening approached. The Hotel is also very well located. The harbour, local restaurants and beaches could all be reached by foot in just a few minutes.
The most disappointing element of The Regent was the room we were given. In common with other reviewers, we found the room rather cramped for the price.In addition, the furnishings were cheerless and looked rather tired. Some surfaces were chipped and this added to the sense of lacklustre accommodation with little comfort. One or two pictures on the bare walls might have helped a little. The en-suite shower room was small and contained a shower with rather feeble water pressure. We found it necessary to frequent adjust the settings while showering to maintain the desired temperature. Unfortunately we also found the bed rather small which made it difficult to sleep soundly.
Generally when we have stayed in St. Ives the proprietor or a member of staff helps to carry bags to the room and explains its amenities. However, on this occasion we were simply given the key and had to carry luggage ourselves up the narrow staircases. Given that bed and breakfast proprietors who charge less per night are able to offer this small service one might have felt that it would be possible for this degree of hospitality to be offered at the Regent. On leaving the room for the first time it took we found locking the door surprisingly difficult. A small lever in the centre of the door-knob on the inside of the room needs to be pushed inward and twisted to the right in order to lock the door, though we had not been made aware of this. Another guest at the hotel overheard my attempts at locking the door and demonstrated how to do so, explaining meanwhile that he had already shown three other guests how to lock their doors as well!
Breakfast is served in a dining room on the ground floor. I found this to be of a good standard though have certainly enjoyed better at less expensive guesthouses elsewhere in the town.
One very positive aspect of The Regent is that the price per night includes parking. Having found it difficult to park in St. Ives on numerous occasions in the past this is a significant asset.
If you do not have particularly high expectations of bedroom furnishings and are intent on finding a hotel with a tremendous sea view then The Regent might well prove a good choice. However, on the basis of considerable past experience in holidaying at St. Ives I would have to conclude that better value for money is to be found elsewhere.

Room Tip: A sea-view is a must.
1 Thank DiningDemon
keithg1uay, Owner at The Regent, responded to this review, 12 September 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your review, and I sorry to hear that your experience of The Regent did not live up to your expectations. We endeavour to provide a first class service and excellent value to all our guests at all times.

I understand that you can find cheaper accommodation in some B&Bs in the town however you are not comparing like with like and these book up well in advance. I am grateful that you acknowledge “the significant asset” of parking being included in the price, unfortunately this significant asset does not come cheaply and we have to lease it per year, in advance. I assure you that you would be horrified at the significant cost of maintaining adequate parking for our guests, I know that I am. Parking within the town at the small B&Bs that you compare us with is almost non-existent, with public parking facilities in downalong very limited and certainly not free. Alternatively you could park out of town and get a bus or taxi back into town. So yes, our guest parking is a significant asset, but one that adds to the cost of a room.

Additionally, by comparing our prices to what you would pay at a cheap B&B you are overlooking the implications of VAT. As a larger establishment our turnover exceeds the UK’s VAT threshold making our charges subject to 20% VAT. The government gets its cut, something that a small B&B would not be subject to since they would not exceed the VAT threshold, thereby enabling them to offer a cheaper price. I wish that we weren’t subject to it and didn’t have to charge it for this very reason, but we are and we do.

I acknowledge that you feel that our rooms may not be as large as those found in more modern buildings, but St Ives is an old town and the size and construction of the buildings obviously reflect this. While we could, in theory, enlarge the rooms by way of a significant structural redevelopment this would add to the cost of the rooms even further. The building predates my family owning and running The Regent by many years and I don’t wish to demolish the old place to replace it with a modern concrete building in order to become a boutique hotel at £200+ a night, which is far beyond the budget of the majority of visitors to St Ives. Indeed many of our guests are repeat customers who have been returning to stay with us over decades, so we are obviously doing something right.

Regards the bed that you and your partner used, it is a standard UK sized double. It is possible to request a room with a larger bed when booking, and we are not able to anticipate guests’ requirements if we are not informed in advance. Had we known in advance that you would need a larger bed we would have endeavoured to accommodate you.

I regret that you had difficulty with the door locks, since with the exception of two rooms all our room locks are self locking, and the two that are not self locking are of a fairly standard design found in many hotel rooms around the world. Simply push the button in the centre of the door knob when the door is open, turn the button 90 degrees and then close the door.

I do not agree with your suggestion that the rooms are cheerless and tired since we take a great deal of pride in our rooms and endeavour to keep them in good condition. That said we are nearly at the end of the season and the rooms have been in constant use since February and sadly many of our clients are not as careful as you may be.

I additionally regret that I was unable to assist you with your suitcases. I am approaching 80 and not as fit as I once was, although my wife does carry a lot of luggage through the year and is happy to help when we are aware that someone needs assistance.

I am pleased that you appreciated the stunning views, and it is because of these stunning views that our rooms do not have pictures on the walls. Simply we have yet to find anything to complement these stunning views, so why detract from them?

And finally, I am delighted that you enjoyed your breakfast. I, like you, enjoy good food and I take a great deal of pleasure in sourcing and cooking the best breakfast items for all our guests.

I wish you many successful future holidays in St Ives.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Clean but very tiny room with a tiny bed, tiny bathroom and tiny TV. in aword: TINY
Breakfast is average (to be generous). Avoid continental one though.
Location is excellent, very close to the amenuity of St. Ives.

From the lounge there is an excellent view of the port, not from the room facing the street thoug.

1 Thank Dario B
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 August 2013

we stayed for one night. It is a very close place from station and shops as well as beaches. That`s why we selected to stay there. This is the good site of this hotel. But the room we got is very tiny it doesn't worth the money they charged us. So i am not happy with this. Break fast was great and staff was friendly . Only complain is the small room, congested stair case and passages.

keithg1uay, Owner at The Regent, responded to this review, 12 September 2013
I understand that you can find cheaper accommodation in some B&Bs in the town however you are not comparing like with like and these book up well in advance. I am grateful that you acknowledge “the significant asset” of parking being included in the price, unfortunately this significant asset does not come cheaply and we have to lease it per year, in advance. I assure you that you would be horrified at the significant cost of maintaining adequate parking for our guests, I know that I am. Parking within the town at the small B&Bs that you compare us with is almost non-existent, with public parking facilities in Downlong very limited and certainly not free. Alternatively you could park out of town and get a bus or taxi back into town. So yes, our guest parking is a significant asset, but one that adds to the cost of a room.
Regards the bed that you and your partner used, it is a standard UK sized double. It is possible to request a room with a larger bed when booking, and we are not able to anticipate guests’ requirements if we are not informed in advance. Had we known in advance that you would need a larger bed we would have endeavoured to accommodate you provided you booked well ahead.
I regret that you had difficulty with the door locks, since with the exception of two rooms all our room locks are self-locking, and the two that are not self-locking are of a fairly standard design found in many hotel rooms around the world. Simply push the button in the centre of the door knob when the door is open, turn the button 90 degrees and then close the door.
I do not agree with your suggestion that the rooms are cheerless and tired since we take a great deal of pride in our rooms and endeavour to keep them in good condition. That said we are nearly at the end of the season and the room you occupied has received more than its fair share of damage this year. It has been in constant use since February and sadly many of our clients are not as careful as you may be.
I additionally regret that I was unable to assist you with your suitcases. I am not as fit as I once was, although assistance with luggage is available upon request.
I wish you many successful future holidays in St Ives.