“dissapointing”
Review of St Merryn Hotel

St Merryn Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in St Ives
St Merryn Hotel
Ranked #16 of 21 Hotels in St Ives
Reviewed 30 June 2012

Just returned and was dissapointed with the hotel after reading all the reviews. The proprietors and staff are friendly but the hotel has alot to be desired-the overall cleanliness is poor-the furniture and carpets need replacing badly-its location is not overlooking the bay unless you have an upper floor room!!! The nine hole putting green was non existant-the entrance and garden furniture was dirty with a blocked drain by front door-food was acceptable but not exceptional-entertainment was good and drink prices reasonable- I would not recommend this hotel for a return visit.

Room Tip: If disabled there is only one ground floor room and no lift-quite a distance from St Ives centre but...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank georgia w

Reviewed 19 June 2012

I have been organising coach holidays with a family friend and co driver Dennis since 2001 and the St Merryn Hotel is definately one of the best we have stayed with. Our visit included a party of 40 friends and family and our stay was Mon 4th June - Fri 8th June 2012. Mike and Blanche are a very friendly couple who manage the hotel and we were made to feel most welcome. After the first evenings four course meal which was so gorgeous, prepared by Blanche and served by friendly waiteresses we all knew we were in for a happy holiday cus a good hotel makes for a good holiday. Rooms, Food, Hospitality and Entertainment were all outstandingly excellent and this is why the hotel is definately one of the best and we hope to return in 2015 again when our next visit to Cornwall is planned. I wonder if I might get another hole in one on the hotels very own putting green ? Many thanks to Mike & Blanche and all the staff at St Merryn Hotel for a greatly appreciated holiday from Andy, Dennis and company

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Andrew B
Reviewed 4 June 2012 via mobile

A truly outstanding hotel. From the moment you arrive a warm welcome is given by Mike amd Blanche. We went with Leisuretime from South Wales. Mike joined our coach on arrival and explained the meal times etc.
We went as a party of 8 and some people had a small room while others larger. I can recommend room 1 for space.
The meals are what make this hotel and Blanche seems to prepare all the delicious food. There is plenty to go around and it tastes terrific. Mike opens the bar at 8 and sometimes runs a quiz or bingo when there is no artist. we had three nights there and had an artist on 2 of those. The bar prices are good which makes you happy to stay for the entertainment.

• Stayed: June 2012
6  Thank RCtrchy
Reviewed 28 May 2012

This hotel has received a number of positive reviews and having just returned from a weekend there, courtesy of Leisuretime Travel, (Cardiff), the praise is well justified. My room, (No 4), on the first level, contained a comfortable double bed, (for sole usage), a decent sized bathroom, a flat screen tv with Freeview chanels and the usual tea/coffee making facilities (with biscuits). The food was superb with breakfasts being more than adequate whilst the evening meals, although there were no main meal options, were plentiful and very tasty. The bar was intimate and convivial whilst the beer prices were reasonable by today's standards. The owners, West Yorkshire couple Blanche and Mike, and their staff were very friendly and helpful and the whole place had that little bit of extra class that made my visit such a pleasurable experience. I would have no hesitation in staying at the St Merrys again

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
7  Thank PaddersCardiff
Reviewed 10 May 2012

just came back from st merryn hotel on may the 4th with a party from wales clean and friendly excellent food thank you blanche and mike for a great holiday and would definatly recomend this lovely hotel we will be back there soon if its only to see mikes bird impressions and for that excellent food. My wife want to play that triangle again

Room Tip: all good rooms on south side are quieter
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank juliff56
Reviewed 20 November 2011

Just got back from st merryn hotel st ives on a turkey & tinsel. Went with a party of 27 with Leisuretime.We had a brilliant time. The hosts Mike and Blanche went out of their way to make sure we had a good time.The food was excellent,plenty of it especially the breakfast.Royston the singer is well worth listening to he had us in stitches.Hotel had a lovely lounge you could sit in if you did not want entertainment.Rooms were nice and clean mine even had a balcony.
Would recommend this hotel if you are looking for a good time away,one of the best Leisuretime breaks we have all had.

Room Tip: ask for a balcony room they have sea views
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
5  Thank chepgang
Reviewed 29 October 2011

Spent 5 days here with a coach-load of lovely folk from Wales. The owners Blanche and Mike came onboard our coach to greet us on our arrival. As we entered the hotel I thought it looked really nice and welcoming. We were handed the keys and made our way to our room, which on first sight looked fine. The carpets were very dated and I can't say I like carpet in the bathroom. It was only when we had unpacked that we felt we were in a 1980's time warp, especially the bathroom (one like my grannie had)! but sheets were clean and so were the towels and the water was piping hot. There was ample sachets of tea/coffee/chocolate and bottles of waters, which I thought was a thoughtful touch, especially as I get dry at night. The TV was at a reasonable height, so we could even watch it in bed, but we spent so little time in our room apart from sleeping as there was so much going on. The dining room, lounge and bar area are all clean and two have views over the garden to the sea beyond. The food could not be bettered, soup and lovely roast dinners each evening, followed by delicious desserts, cheese, biscuits and coffee. The breakfasts were so huge that you felt full until tea-time so we didn't bother to buy a lunchtime meal. On two evenings I asked if I could have something other than meat. I had a piece of cod, which the owner asked if I would like it breaded or left plain, so I knew it wasn't out of a packet!! Another evening she gave me a large portion of salmon, very nice I must say. It was printed on the menu that salads were also available and they were well presented. Our waitress, Kim, was a delightful young lady who waited on us with a lovely warm smile, she engaged in conversation and we felt we had known her for years.
The entertainment each evening was a real bonus, we had so much fun and the guest artists were excellent, they soon had even the shyest amongst us joining in. We all retired to our rooms each evening happy bunnies.
The owners Blanche and Mike go the extra mile to please their guests. I personally found Mike a little too introverted until the last evening when he suddenly came to life and initiated a conversation.
All in all it was a good 5 day break and for the money we paid excellent value. Well done St Merryn!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends