Chy Morvah
US$158
US$154
US$403
Agoda.com
All reviewshf holidaywalking holidayboot roomsalad bowlheated swimming pooleach eveninghill overlookingsea viewcentre of st ivesa great place to stayfew minutes walkthree nightsannexpneumoniacornwallradiator
Reviewed 9 April 2012

The BB is in a good location less then 10 min walk from the city centre.The staff was really friendly,hospitable and helpful.good value for money

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank Carlo_F65
Reviewed 3 April 2012

I've stayed at several other HF properties and whether the regime here are responsible for my disappointment or whether HF is changing, I'm not sure. Certainly a lot more skimping is, in my opinion, evident particularly on meals and their portions, bar measures (especially who is pouring) and complimentary bathroom sundries (one sachet of shampoo/week). Eating is as usual on large circular tables, but now with no lazy Susan in the middle. No tureen of soup is now presented, but now a meagre half (small) bowl. The shared dishes of vegetables arrive with warnings of being very hot, but now no means of passing them around the table without burning your hands, this does seem a bit pointless. I still have all my teeth, but I couldn't chew through a brandy snap presented as one of the puddings, indeed cultery couldn't handle it either, I returned it. Most meals though were OK, but sometimes getting a second jug of water proved impossible. I have no complaints though against the walking leaders, all did as you'd expect, although none could explain why back markers are no longer required. This I believe is a retrospective step and something I've never seem before in any other group that I've walked with. To save money the last day is no longer full board, as all the rest are, you have to pay for a lunch if you want one. My room, in the annex, didn't see a hoover every day either but it was a twin room that was a good size for one person. The fire doors seemed to have a dampeneing device to stop them slamming loudly, but the room doors didn't have this facility. I found it difficult (3rd pass) to find where I should park my car. There is adequate parking spaces if you keep within the lines, which challenged some people and double parking might be necessary.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
5  Thank Tilt-scale-gyro
Sarah D, HF Holidays Ltd at Chy Morvah, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2012

Thank you for your feedback.
Sarah – Research & Quality Manager
HF Holidays Ltd

Reviewed 1 April 2012

We struggled to find this hotel despite visiting St Ives before. The signage (or lack of it) needs some attention.

The room was quite small, and the bathroom was not particularly clean or well kept. I left a towel on the floor (I had got some dirty sand on it and it would not come off) but it was not replaced, simply hidden under the other towels (also not replaced).

We were in the attic room with 5 flights of stairs - and the bannister on the stairs was loose. There is also a cat that seems to live on site, which is free to wander in and out of the rooms as it chooses as the front door is left wide open.

Breakfast - the continental breakfast was disappointing - tinned fruit, cereal and toast. There was also no choice of white, brown or a mixture of toast, it was just put in front of you. However the staff were very friendly and pleasant.

The hotel is owned by a walking tours company, and seems to offer B & B 'on the side.' As B & B non walking guests we did feel as though we were put into the building next door (part of the hotel) because it was of a poorer standard, as we were not walkers. The other guests in the separate building were also all B & B non walking tour guests.

The main building was pleasant. We opted not to eat evening meals in the hotel although we were asked every morning if we wanted to.

The hotel is very close to town, and whilst the location is fantastic, for the same money my husband paid there is another B & B a little further walk away that we have been to before and would rather go to than stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sara w
Sarah D, HF Holidays Ltd at Chy Morvah, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2012

Thank you for your feedback.
Sarah – Research & Quality Manager
HF Holidays Ltd

Reviewed 23 January 2012

If you book through a hotel booking site, you should know that nearly all your fellow guests will be staying there to go out on guided walks. The atmosphere is informal, and you are expected to join other people in the dining room. And don't be surprised if one of the walking leaders tries to get you into a walking group!
Having said that, I took a group of French-speaking Swiss walkers there in April 2011, and we had a terrific time. Jamie, the very friendly Manager, is always available. The rooms were excellent, as was the food - more than impressed the francophone guests. The leaders usually organise an (optional) activity in the evening (quiz, picture game, etc), that draws everyone together.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank soobie2
Reviewed 3 August 2011

Once again we enjoyed a terrific walking HF holiday. This time we stayed at the Chy Morvah house in St Ives Cornwall.

The hotel is typical for HF and is oriented towards social integration of all who stay for the week. The Chy Morvah is not as nice as the Whitby house as the rooms are smaller and not as well kept but then again this IS a walking holiday and its not meant to be 5 star.

Perfectly comfortable and the only complaint is that the bathrooms are older and tiny. The whole set up of the holiday is breakfast, ordered sandwich/salad lunch with all sorts of fruits and energy bars to take walking for the day and dinner at night. Its fantastic for families with kids below 16 as everyone mixes in day and night. If that's what you like its perfect.

Walking is 8-15K per day and there are 3 options: easy, medium and hard.

On this week there was a surfing option and that's what most of the kids did whilst the parents walked including up to one 83 year old!

If you want to just lie in the sun and go to bars then these HF holidays are not for you as this is a very active, social week. Terrific for the kids as they have a blast. Just make sure its a family week one!

Room Tip: Make sure you pay that little bit extra for an en suite room.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family