“Good Hotel in Great Location”

Treloyhan Manor Hotel
Ranked #84 of 102 St Ives B&B and Inns
Reviewed 11 October 2013

This was a last minute booking following a spontaneous decision to visit St Ives whilst the weather forecast was good - the sun was shining!

We arrived at the hotel at 2 pm and were met by Jennifer on reception. We had booked a superior room and requested one with a sea view. We had been allocated a room with a garden view but without delay Jennifer found us a sea view room. The room (no 13!) was fairly small but was spotlessly clean, with a good bathroon with a bath, and the view was beautiful! We walked out through the gardens to the coastal footpath and down into St Ives. This leisurely walk into St Ives took us only about 15 minutes.

Our only slight disappointment was that the bed was a bit smaller than we are used to.

In the evening we decided to eat in the hotel restaurant. We ate from the Table d'Hote menu and enjoyed our meal very much. The price for 3 courses was about £18.95 pp and included a bottle of house wine - we felt this was very good value. Thank you to Mel and Linda who looked after us very well.

We visit St Ives quite frequently and expect that we may return to Treloyhan Manor Hotel again in the future.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Marjory1
Treloyhan_GM, General Manager at Treloyhan Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2013

Thank you for your comments, and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon

Reviewed 30 September 2013 via mobile

Stayed at the hotel when we attended a wedding at the Tregenna Castle. The lady at reception was so helpful, allowing us to check in & collect our keyearly so we could drop our bags before the wedding. When we came back later on that evening, the bags had been taken to our room for us. Would definitely recommend, the staff are a credit to the hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Poshtrace
Treloyhan_GM, General Manager at Treloyhan Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2013

Thank you for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Reviewed 29 September 2013

The grandly named Treloyhan Manor Hotel is shockingly bad in every way. To begin with, we were quite hopeful, especially since there were some nice reviews. We'd booked through Booking.com and got what seemed to be an amazing rate: £50. No breakfast, but still an amazing deal for St Ives. We drove up through the lovely grounds feeling very pleased with our choice. Our first clue that things were about to go wrong was the coach blocking entrance, off-loading dozens of ramblers. The foyer was filled with giant billboards welcoming them. That didn't bother us too much. All we wanted was a reasonable room for the night. Plus the woman behind the counter seemed friendly, albeit in an over the top way. Breakfast was extra - £8 or £9 pounds if I'm not mistaken, so we said we didn't want that.

We then set off to our room - up two staircases and along various creepy passages. The room was a shock and not just because it was so small that the door hit the bed when I opened it. It was furnished with the cheapest imaginable furniture and bedding and the beds were minuscule. That was bearable but then we discovered there was no bathroom. The manager informed me that that was why the room was such a good price - £50 with no breakfast - because it had a shared bathroom. To get a bathroom I had to pay £70. I was annoyed but agreed to do that. The smiley receptionist had started grimacing and all but rolling her eyes. The manager appeared helpful and gave me a key to the new room. Off I trudged through all the passages and found another dated room, but a larger one with a bathroom. I was about to call my partner to move into the new room when the manager burst in and said he'd made a mistake and the room was already filled. From then on, things went rapidly downhill. He went away to find yet another room and proudly escorted us to another room with no bathroom, but this one with a double bed - as we'd tried to book initially. When I said we needed our own bathroom and were not prepared to share, he basically said he couldn't help us. Take it or leave it. He was quite hostile at that point, especially on the subject of the money. Under no circumstances would he refund our £50. As far as he was concerned, Booking.com had it in the small print and we should have spotted it. They claim to be a Christian hotel, but when it comes to money they're completely mercenary.

The place smells dreadful, looks dreadful and is dreadful. The bathrooms have to be seen to be believed. Since it was already late afternoon when we found ourselves effectively out on the street, we had no choice but to drive to Hayle and stay at the Premier Inn. If you have a choice, do yourself a favour and stay there. It is at least a million times better than this ghastly place.

Room Tip: Do yourself a favour and stay somewhere else
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank whitegiraffe

In response to your comments posted - When you two ladies arrived at around 5.30pm and expressed disappointment requesting a double room having been shown the twin room you had booked online, I showed you the only alternative double room we had available, which again was unfortunately non ensuite as we were fully booked.

When you demanded a refund stating 'I had not bothered reading any of my confirmation paperwork' Which clearly stated - shared bathroom, I hope you did not think the verbal abuse threatening to slate the hotel online, and throwing the room keys on the floor, and then the hotel brochure across the reception desk at the receptionist was going to change my mind.

At no point did you make any reference to me regarding the aspects of the hotel that we do take great pride in - our cleanliness and room décor etc

You would certainly not be a welcome guest back at our hotel again in the future, as your behaviour was wholly unacceptable, and one has only to look at our great feedback on booking.com, Laterooms and tripadvisor and the awards we have received in guest satisfaction to see that your review and comments are complete fabrications and malicious.

Reviewed 28 September 2013

I tend to go to St Ives to visit relatives. Did not mind the walk and in out of the town but dark when coming back. I had a room only single bed which I found small .I am not a big male but was not comfortable. Booked on room only deal. I was offered breakfast which I felt was expensive and also only available between 8 to 9. I like to be flexible on holiday. Only positive things were toiletries and the tea/ coffee in the room. Felt the hotel lacked atmosphere.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank wexter98
Treloyhan_GM, General Manager at Treloyhan Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2013

I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your stay, our six different room types do all vary in size and are priced accordingly, and you did book one of our smallest. I will also say that you will find it hard to beat our price of £8.50 for a hot and cold full English breakfast including tea, coffee and toast anywhere else.

Reviewed 24 September 2013

Staff were nice. We (as a gay couple) were a little wary when we found out it was a "Christian" hotel but found very little problem. Breakfast was nice - though some of the other hotel residents were a little strange at breakfast!
Room was very nice and the hotel itself is beautiful.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 11 September 2013

Stayed here Saturday and Sunday on August bank holiday weekend. Parking available which is a bonus in St Ives. Within walking distance to the town (about half an hour). Room was absolutely spotless and little toiletries were supplied with tea and coffee. Reception were friendly, can't comment on the meals as we didn't eat at the hotel. My only qualm would be that when we arrived our toilet roll was less than a quarter full. I went to reception and asked for another, and I was asked if I could wait until the morning for room service to restock it. I expect if I had kicked up a fuss they would have supplied me with one, but it would be good idea to have a few essentials spare behind reception. Whilst the hotel is marketed as a Christian hotel, me and my other half are not practicing Christians and did not notice anything overly "Christian" about the hotel. For less than £70 a night on a bank holiday was an absolute bargain, and wouldn't hesitate booking here again if I go to St Ives.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Treloyhan_GM, General Manager at Treloyhan Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2013

Thank you for your comments, please accept my apologies that we did not replenish your supplies quickly, and yes a supply behind reception would be a good idea. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 27 August 2013

We booked at Treloyhan expecting a "sea view" as per our confirmation, but on arrival this did not materialise. We made our concerns known to the front desk and were told that they would "get back" to us after discussion with the manager. This again did not materialise. Initially a mistake possibly, but one which had precluded us looking elsewhere, and the lack of follow-up from TMH was a great concern. I think that many other customers would have made a great deal more fuss than ourselves.
The building is fascinating - rather musty but full of lovely oak panneling and interesting features - and only needs a few stags' heads on the walls to set it off properly. It was apparently considered at some stage as the gallery for the St. Ives' artists before the Tate project took shape.
Do take a torch if going out at night by foot as the paths from the road to the hotel are long and very dark and potentially dangerous. Also your bus pass, because If rather aged like me and enjoy a drink, you will need to get the bus back from St Ives as the walk back is long and uphill.
We could not locate a lift and aged customers or those with bad legs etc should be particularly aware of this as there can be a long haul to the bedrooms with suitcases.
Also our room, which was described as a family en suite, had windows without secure window fastenings (i.e. window stays were missing/loose) and I would not have been happy to have stayed there with a young child when windows needed to be open.
There was a large group staying at the same time as ourselves and this did tend to dominate things. Possibly the Christian Guild need to consider whether the mix of large Christian groups and other travellers is entirely workable. There were a lot of activities going on and we did feel rather in the way, to be honest. We should have been very pushed to have had a go on the ping-pong table or to have used any communal areas. Also things became very noisy on 23/8/2013 when various of the group were departing very late at night.
Breakfasts were very splendid, in an interesting, very old-fashioned dining room and staff could not be faulted on their service and friendliness. Absolutely excellent. Unfortunately it was not pointed out to us on arrival that it was possible to book a separate table for breakfast. We generally enjoyed mixing with others on the large tables but one (Christian?) lady in particular did not seem to have enjoyed mixing with us!
I enjoyed my stay at Treloyhan and found it an interesting experience. Visitors need to be very clear about what to expect and TMH could offer more clarity regarding this. Groups possibly could be advised regarding their rather exclusive attitude.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank chris r
Treloyhan_GM, General Manager at Treloyhan Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2013

Thank you for your comments, and please accept my apologies that we made a mistake on our correspondence regarding you room grade. However my colleague who was dealing with you at the time did give you complimentary breakfast regarding this matter, and if you had made me aware of your other issues during your stay I would have been able to sort something out for you.