All reviews christian guild shared bathroom and toilet extensive gardens double ensuite room kippers lovely hotel carbis bay visited this hotel tea coffee min walk per night comfy bed walk into st ives poached eggs a lovely stay stunning location cooked breakfast
Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

Not a stay as such but called in for a coffee. The receptionist seemed rather fed up that I was interupting her admin duties. I know I wasn't a hotel guest but I should still at least be a valued customer.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Stayed here for three nights. Very disappointing hotel. We had a beautiful view out of our top floor room, but the room was very shabby and needing updating. Breakfast in the morning was buffet style, but having to order tea, coffee and toast. The staff were not in any hurry to serve you, never offered a top up of tea or toast. Didn't eat there in the evening so can't comment on the evening meals.
The grounds to the hotel are very pretty. Location to the town is good, but a very steep walk back up the hill to the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DollyD100
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Normally, I am able to overlook the shortcomings of a hotel but there are no positives to this place. Our room had no shower and the whole place was in need of a major cleaning. Everything was extremely outdated, the pictures on our booking website showed modern finishings and stainless steel bathrooms, which I would be surprised to see. Very disappointed in my stay, pay more and receive what the pictures depict. DO NOT STAY HERE. This is not worth the price, if the option were available I would have taken a refund as soon as I walked in the lobby and stayed elsewhere. Also, the staff is unwilling to help with baggage and they charge extra if you pay for your booking on credit card. I can not stress enough, do not be fooled by the pictures, stay away!

Room Tip: Stay in a tent on the lawn
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Amber S
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Stayed here for a week - didn't choose the hotel myself and it's certainly not one I'd normally stay in.

My single room was tiny, tired and with very dated furniture and furnishings. The bathroom was even smaller and the water pressure in the shower was extremely low. TVs in the rooms work well enough but lack of WIFI (or in fact, mobile signal!) is a big let down. As others have mentioned, there is also an odour of 'old people' around the building.

However, the place was absolutely spotless. I can honestly say I don't think I've ever stayed in such a clean hotel :)

Added to that, the staff were also polite and friendly throughout our stay.

The location is ok being about half way between Carbis Bay and St Ives and is only a ten minute walk downhill to the town (allow longer for the uphill walk back!)

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 June 2014

This was a comfortable enough hotel but there were shortcomings. I agree that there is a care home smell on the stairways, the breakfast was unimaginative with tinned peaches and grapefruit (adding to the care home feel!) and the drain in the shower was slow. The grounds are stunning as is the building itself and we couldn't fault the reception service. It has an old fashioned charm and a sense of tranquility but it could definitely do with some renovation.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple