“February Long Weekend Break”
Review of Chy-An-Albany

Chy-An-Albany
Ranked #8 of 21 Hotels in St Ives
Warwickshire, United Kingdom
“February Long Weekend Break”
Reviewed 11 February 2013

Taking advantage of the “three nights for two” offer we stayed for our third February long weekend break at the Chy-An-Albany. This year we had room 39, which gave us more space, though it meant that we had access by lift only.
The phantom radio came at random intervals from the TV set, which was cured by switching off at the mains. Otherwise we enjoyed a happy rest and having breakfast with a view each morning.
We took one evening meal here, rump steak & chips for me, lemon sole for my wife, both of which were satisfactory. I expect we will come here again in the future.
Free car parking is not to be sniffed at in St Ives.

Room Tip: This year we had room 39, which gave us more space, though it meant that we had access by lift only.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (300)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 February 2013

When we arrived the welcome we received was second to none. The room was large and had an amazing view.
Now for the things that inspired me to write this review,
1: The main bed was comprised of two singles pushed together leaving a large lump in the middle sloping off to the sides.
2: You do receive quite a collection of complimentary teas, coffees and water. The problem I have with this is they removed the empty bottle of still water but did not replace. (I stayed for 3 nights)
3: If you enjoy taking your time over breakfast your in for a disappointment. We where seated and offered tea and coffee. (All good so far I thought) offered a menu to go along with the continental buffet and the serve yourself English breakfast, but don't think an order from the kitchen is welcomed. Upon ordering from the kitchen the waiting staff immediately tried to send me to the already made English breakfast, where the bacon looked to have been sitting over night and the sausages matching the condition of the bacon. I declined that offer and insisted on the breakfast I had chosen off their fresh to order menu. The breakfast arrived promptly with bacon that looked similar to the above mentioned leading me to believe that it been removed from the same ready made breakfast source. I got up from the table to get some more toast only to turn round and see the waiting staff removing my half eaten breakfast that I had clearly crossed the fork and knife suggesting I wasn't finished.

The breakfast that I paid for really let this hotel down therefore I probably won't stay again.

Room Tip: Don't pay extra for breakfast and eat it at a local café
3 Thank Ray B
Julia B, Manager at Chy-An-Albany, responded to this review, 18 February 2013
Thank you very much for your comments about your recent stay at the hotel. I am really pleased that you felt welcome at the hotel on arrival and that you enjoyed the view from your hotel room. However I am sorry to hear that there were a couple of things during your stay that you were not so happy about. I would like the opportunity to respond to the points you have raised for future reference, which I have outlined below:

1. Some of our hotel rooms have zip & link beds (which are used by many in the hotel business). The advantages of these are that they can be larger than standard doubles and also offer the flexibility for guests who prefer to have a double bed or 2 singles. They should not alter the quality of your sleep, but I will be investigating further to improve this particular bed as this does not sound like it should have been. I wish you had informed us during your stay.

2. I am pleased you liked our selection of complementary teas & coffees, etc. The tea tray is complimentary in all rooms; however water is complimentary for your arrival day only. Our winter & spring rates are very competitive and offer excellent value for money. Our bar is also open during the day if you wish to purchase any additional refreshments.

3. I am sorry that you did not enjoy your breakfast experience; I have investigated your comments as this sounds very unusual. I am confident that my kitchen & restaurant staff helped you as much as they could in explaining our breakfast buffet system, which is available on busy mornings at the hotel. Our buffet is continually replenished throughout the morning by our chef to ensure a high standard of breakfast items are consistently offered at the buffet bar. I understand that you enquired about having your breakfast cooked straight from the kitchen, which was done. I can confirm that your breakfast was cooked fresh & to order & was done each day during your stay at your request. My staff endeavours to be courteous, friendly & helpful to all guests & will always go out their way to cater to the guests needs; however it can be difficult & disheartening if not responded to in a similar approach. I do however genuinely apologise that there was a miscommunication towards the end of your breakfast when it was thought that you had finished your breakfast & your plates were cleared. This was apologised for and you were offered a replacement straight away.

It is unfortunate that you felt unable to inform us of your concerns during your stay so we could have had the opportunity to improve your stay at the time.

I thank you for your comments & hope you enjoyed your time in St Ives.
Liskeard, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 February 2013

This short break proved very enjoyable. We booked late and the only way they could accommodate us was for us to change rooms during our stay. This was no problem as the staff did everything for us. Both rooms 25 and 4 had sea views and could not be faulted, Both rooms were spacious and clean.
The breakfast was always hot and plenty of choice, amount and good quality produce.
The evening meals were sublime, this chef would hold his own in any five star establishment. We had a meal on the first night intending to eat out in the evenings for the rest of our stay, however the quality and presentation was to such a high standard that we stayed in for the evening meals and did not regret this choice. The quality could not be beaten and was certainly reasonably priced and the presentation of the food would put an artist to shame.
All the staff were pleasant and helpful throughout our stay.
We are looking forward to returning in the future and would recommend without hesitation.

Room Tip: The rooms with the seaview are well worth the extra money,
Gloucester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 February 2013

Just returned from a short break at this hotel, chosen for the views from the bedroom. A lovely comfortable bed and plenty of drawers/hanging space. Loved the wide window ledge where you could sit, overlooking Porthminster beach. We did have the deluxe room. The only negative was the cold bathroom which would have benefited from an electric towel rail as at this time of the year the towels stayed wet. The lounge/bar needs improving with maybe a bigger bar and more comfortable seats. There is the room for a pool table. Excellent breakfast and a first class evening meal. Staff were friendly and helpful. Would definitely stay there again.

Surrey
Reviewed 9 February 2013

My wife and I just spent a most enjoyable four nights at this hotel, having found our way to the rear car park easily thanks to the hotel's good directions on its website.

We were made to feel extremely welcome at every level and at every stage. Having negotiated our way to the back door with our luggage, we found it held open by a member of staff who just happened to be leaving the building, and he said "Welcome." A chambermaid whose arms were already pretty full of linen then stopped to ask if we would like her to help us with our bags down to reception. We were warmly greeted at reception and given all the information we needed. This excellent treatment continued in the restaurant and bar, so for example when we went back one day in the early afternoon and found our room hadn't been made up, the chambermaid almost immediately tapped on the door to apologise for the fact that she was still on her rounds. All the staff were friendly, polite and generally a credit.

We had breakfast every day. It was excellent. If the hotel wasn't at all busy, an order was taken for hot food. Otherwise, there was an extensive hot buffet to add to the numerous cold items laid out, but you could still order other hot food such as smoked salmon, kippers, or muffins with ham and spinach, all at no extra cost. The two evening meals we had were as good as or better than the two we had more expensively down in the town. The chef could be destined for higher things but if he leaves it will be a loss.

We paid for a de luxe sea view room on the first floor, and we loved the views. It came with a large balcony with table and chairs although we hardly went out there in the February weather. The room was clean and well decorated and equipped and, like the en suite bathroom, pretty spacious. The mattress might have seen better days, as if gave off a resounding "boing" when you turned over. There was tons of storage space. I only noticed the hairline cracks in the bathroom floor tiles after three days.

Quite a bit of refurbishment seems to have taken place since some reviews were posted, and we certainly wouldn't call the hotel dated. We found the bar and lounge jolly pleasant.

The grounds and approaches might be a problem for people with walking difficulties.

We have hardly ever given anywhere we've stayed a rating of five, but this was a high four. We would have no hesitation in returning or recommending this hotel to friends.

Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 February 2013

Made use of this hotels "three for two break". It is a very comfortable place to stay. In human terms I would say that this hotel is of "middle age" but it is spotlessly clean and well presented. The breakfast was particularly enjoyable in a room overlooking the bay. The lounge offers similar views and is very relaxing. I did not avail myself of the evening meal as I thought it a tad too expensive for me.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 February 2013

Returned to this hotel in Feb courtesy of their winter saver. You pay a reduced room rate,stay for 2 nights and get the 3rd night free. We stayed in a deuxe double with a glorious view of Porthminster Beach and beyond and a large terrace with seating. Our room was not ultra-modern but the bed was very comfortable and the furniture perfectly adequate. A lovely sized bath with shower, good-sized towels and supplied with hand-wash,shampoo and shower Gel. The staff were extremely friendly and very helpful and always polite. The heating in the room was good with personal thermostatic control. The breakfasts were varied and very good(no burnt toast)and with a help yourself buffet style presentation you wont go hungry. Its on the hill as you enter St Ives with a walk of about 10 to 15 minutes to the centre of town and if you dont fancy the walk back a taxi costs around £3. We are not an overly fussy couple and it is our opinion that this hotel easily meets our needs and more. We have already booked for later this year and we are eagerly looking forward to our return.

Room Tip: The Deluxe seaview rooms are well worth paying a bit more for