“Fantastic views”
Review of Chy-An-Albany

Chy-An-Albany
Ranked #8 of 21 Hotels in St Ives
Reviewed 13 August 2013

Just returned from a 3 night stay and enjoyed every minute of it. We had a large room and bathroom which were spotless and a large balcony with a good views over Porthminster beach and out to Helston.
The bed was a super king and very comfortable as were the two easy chairs. A well stocked tray of tea,coffee etc was also provided and there was plenty of storage space for clothes etc. We saw no evidence of the hotel being tired either in our room or in the public areas and the gardens were well maintained.
From the time we checked in the staff were friendly and efficient and the breakfast, although self service, is as good as any we have eaten elsewhere as "cooked to order" - and we stay away a lot.
I am approaching 67 years of age and found the walk up from town no problem and in no way is it a slog. Equally, the walk down to the beach is not scary in our opinion and the main road only has one other road joining it which is that coming up from town. The crossing is not dangerous if you walk up the road a few yards from the junction i.e. good road sense.
Would happily return again without any question and have happy memories of our stay.

Room Tip: Three rooms on the first floor have a balcony area and are worth the extra cost for the sheer space...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Fellwalkermad

Reviewed 10 August 2013

A very nice small hotel with friendly helpful staff and great service, better than some of the 4 star hotels I've stayed in. The rooms were clean and well maintained, the sea view rooms are worth the extra cost. The restaurant has a lovely menu of locally sourced produce. Well worth a visit.

• Stayed: August 2013
3  Thank BeccaW73
Reviewed 9 August 2013

My friend and I stayed at this hotel from 28 th July for five nights in a deluxe sea view room. The room was huge with everything you could ask for. The balcony was massive with a six seater table and chairs with beautiful views of port minster bay. breakfast was good, we ate in the restaurant twice, one meal was delicious the other mediocre. Only thing that let it down in the restaurant was the young waitress who really had no clue on customer service and didn't even open our wine for us!
All in all a good stay though

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Lilexp123
Reviewed 7 August 2013

The hotel and rooms were very clean. We had 2 rooms, although the single room bathroom was very tight, not possible to even sit on the toilet properly. Shower flow was slow and could do with improving. The breakfast was good, as it should be. Staff were pleasant. Walk to the beach is a bit scary down the steps from the hotel, but it seems tight in other places. Beach is only a 5 minute walk. Good parking facilities.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Sip41p
Reviewed 5 August 2013

This is potentially a lovely hotel with a great view of the bay. The location is not for the weak-kneed as it is quite a slog up from central St Ive's, though it is somehow worth the climb and just up from both the bus and railway stations. The road crossing in front of the hotel is particularly dangerous and tricky, as traffic comes at you at speed from many directions at a complex sloping junction. This is not the hotel's responsibility, but a pedestrian crossing is badly needed here and they should join in with their neighbours to campaign for one.
When I booked with Booking.com my room was described as 'Deluxe' and my expectations were high as was the £690 for four nights price of the room (even by July/August standards?) However, apart from the panoramic view, the room was far from 'deluxe': quite small for two people, no fridge, windows that only opened a few inches (presumably for safety reasons, but this made the room hot and stuffy) and a fairly cheap mattress and the usual domestic range of TV channels. Essentially it was an ordinary guest bedroom. The en suite however was fine and the staff dealing with the bedroom were friendly and efficient and I left them a tip.
Staff were friendly and helpful, though they all seemed strangely young. The breakfast was disappointing: not much choice for those who don't like a full cooked breakfast which was itself a bit 'canteen basic': if you don't like your eggs fried you have to order them how you want which admittedly I didn't try. Also, beware - the musak is some appalling pop radio music which is pretty aggressive and ridiculous for those wanting a peaceful breakfast. Light classical? But please - no disco!
Essentially, the place is a bit tired and chintzy and needs to be made smarter and fresher. I can see that it is not aimed at me but more old fashioned couples and families who might still be fine with this sort of approach.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Richard P
Julia B, Manager at Chy-An-Albany, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2013

Thank you Richard for your review. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay in St Ives & thank you for choosing our hotel to stay during your time here in Cornwall.

You are quite right; we are on an elevated position overlooking Porthminster beach which is lovely from our Bistro & Sun lounge as well as our sea view rooms. The hotel is a 5 minute walk from the train station, but it is advised that if you have luggage then maybe a taxi would be helpful to you when arriving at the hotel.

I am sorry to hear that our deluxe room had not met your expectations, it is only our self-catering lodge & studio apartment that has its own fridge & self-catering facilities, but you are more than welcome to ask at reception in future if you require use of a fridge for medications, etc. Also you are correct; some of our rooms will have safety catches on as per our health & safety regulations with which is very important to comply. I am sure you can understand that the hotel takes guests & staff safety very seriously.

I am happy that you found my staff friendly and efficient. My staff members are of mixed ages as I do not think that it is relevant or fair when employing staff. It is a shame that you take this point of view as everyone needs to start somewhere & I think it is nice to be supportive of young people who actually want to learn & work hard as everyone has qualities to offer.

We offer a continental buffet at breakfast which is full of fresh, local ingredients & our guests are able to help themselves to bread & pastries as well as fresh fruit salad & our very own home made muesli which we find very popular. Our hot buffet provides our guests the choice of creating their own hot breakfast selection with always to option to order from our breakfast menu where you will find delicious dishes, which I would definitely recommend.

I take on board your comments regarding the classical music, but we try to cater for all guests favourites & find our local radio station targets most genres, whilst being informative of travel & events.

Thank you again for your time & comments on your recent stay.

Reviewed 31 July 2013

As a surprise treat for my birthday I was taken to St Ives. Staying here which was a lovely birthday treat. The main lounge area has a stunning view over St Ives and Porthminster beach. The rooms were very clean and functional. The breakfast was excellent, self service with plenty of choice and hot food kept hot. The staff are very polite and helpful. The hotel is suitable for families or couples, would recommend if you want to be just out of the hustle and bustle of St Ives but still close to wander in.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Glevummagpie
Reviewed 30 July 2013

Over-priced for the quality of the 'standard' double room we stayed in..no view at all out of window ( was advertised as view of garden at rear)..and above what i assume was noisy generator or air con / extractor for kitchen below which woke me up early the first morning. Good choice of breakfast ( although self-service mostly)...if only we had been allowed to finish it on our first morning as it was cleared away before we could return to our table after getting toast at the self-service table! Staff very apologetic..but this shouldn't happen. We were also astounded on the second morning to hear a member of staff giving customers a telling off for leaving lids off the food on the hot breakfast self-serve table! VERY fortunate they didn't say that to me! Young and poorly trained staff are to blame. Dirty cloth also left in our room after it was cleaned....and i agree with most negative comments on reviews unfortunately. Only plus side was the location and free parking. A shame because this could be a great hotel with a re-furb and more experienced staff.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Our standard rooms do not have sea views I am afraid but do have garden or varied views of the hotel grounds. Our deluxe rooms do offer full facing sea views, which if available guests are able to book. You are always welcome to ring the hotel directly when booking so we can try & accommodate your preferences.

I am sorry to hear that you experienced noises during the early hours, but thank you for bringing to my attention as I have been able to have my maintenance team investigate thoroughly.

I have spoken with the restaurant team, who genuinely apologises for the miscommunication during the service that day. It can become very busy depending on when & how many guests come down to breakfast at once, so we try our best to monitor where guests are during the time when they are helping themselves to the buffet. I am sorry for the inconvenience caused.

It is also worth stating that the member of staff in question is no longer working at the hotel, but thank you for your feedback as we try our best to offer the best possible service & that you enjoy your stay with us at the hotel.